• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

217 posts in this topic

Good candidate. I would say Blue Ribbon Comics #1. Outside of Rang a Tang, probably not a great or exciting read feature to feature,  but it is the first comic book from MLJ/Archie publications, a publishing operation still around today. 

Edited by sagii

I've nothing to really add, but I'm enjoying this informative thread, and as a kid really dug Hour Mans uniform.  Couldn't get enough Hour Man, Mr Terrific and costumed Sandman from their once a year crossovers.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:07 AM, aardvark88 said:

More Fun 14, 15, 16 Superman 'prototype' in color.

Can anyone post pics???? Sounds like winners too like Dect #38 and Adventure# 48 both fantastic.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 10/8/2022 at 7:00 AM, Ameri said:

This one may not be super duper undervalued but I hardly hear anything about this book.

comic Adventure 48 camera.jpg

This is my vote as well (though I highly agree with Human Torch #3, but that one is pretty expensive already - I do believe if page 44 was ever sold loose on its own it would be a record setting sale though). Every Golden Age first appearance is rare, but not all of them have such a GIANT and clean depiction on the cover. Every other GA first is leaps and bounds more expensive (Spectre, Fate, even Sandman in Adventure though that is technically not a 'first') so this one just sticks out as being woefully undervalued (that is if you can even find it for sale in the first place)

instagram-adventure48.thumb.jpg.10058e1488cc38586da233fd26f2feb2.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

Great thread! I'll probably make several entries to this as it progresses. There are a number of undervalued books which are respected and valued but haven't peaked or reached their actual full level of appreciation yet. The way I assess this criteria-wise is general cover appeal followed by content and scarcity. I see Mitch's point about HT #3 given the ad for Cap and it only being the 2nd quarterly issue.  It probably is a bit undervalued. 

My short list of undervalued books includes HIT Comics #18, sporting a brilliantly composed & signed Reed Crandall cover (he rarely signed his covers), the first featuring of Stormy Foster.  There have been precious few of these books in the marketplace, less than 10 graded the last time I checked. Quality Comics publisher "Busy" Arnold was known for hiring great artists and paying the best rates. This book is no exception with consistently high quality art throughout.  The Japanese saboteur cover anticipates war, ironically pre-dating Pearl Harbor (the issue having a cover date of Dec. 1941 and newsstand on sale date of October 3). I'm a fortunate owner of two graded copies of this book, the first being the Pennsylvania pedigree:

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zpsgsvam9p0.jpg.7fd658cd2ecc50a1651996dca8252bed.jpg edited-image_zpskuq6kurf.jpg.f8db46dd33bd6759cd9071c15e151b57.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 10/8/2022 at 10:34 AM, circumstances said:

I know there are hardly any copies, but it always seemed that the sum of money Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 went for when it changed hands was far less than how much I wanted and valued it.

Same here. Every time I saw one sell I'd be like :pullhair: because, if I had the money, I'd have been willing to pay far more for it. Now, I could afford one if it sold for the mount of last sale. lol Not going to happen. Last one sold in 3.5 for $27,500 in 2017! Wow. Arguably the first appearance of the first Timely superhero, 1st appearance of sub-mariner, and insanely rare. What is not to love?

Cool page showing first appearance in various media of superheroes

On 10/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, Badger said:

Same here. Every time I saw one sell I'd be like :pullhair: because, if I had the money, I'd have been willing to pay far more for it. Now, I could afford one if it sold for the mount of last sale. lol Not going to happen. Last one sold in 3.5 for $27,500 in 2017! Wow. Arguably the first appearance of the first Timely superhero, 1st appearance of sub-mariner, and insanely rare. What is not to love?

Cool page showing first appearance in various media of superheroes

It should be inarguably - he appears there!