• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, Badger said:

Same here. Every time I saw one sell I'd be like :pullhair: because, if I had the money, I'd have been willing to pay far more for it. Now, I could afford one if it sold for the mount of last sale. lol Not going to happen. Last one sold in 3.5 for $27,500 in 2017! Wow. Arguably the first appearance of the first Timely superhero, 1st appearance of sub-mariner, and insanely rare. What is not to love?

Cool page showing first appearance in various media of superheroes

Exactly

On 10/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, Badger said:

Same here. Every time I saw one sell I'd be like :pullhair: because, if I had the money, I'd have been willing to pay far more for it. Now, I could afford one if it sold for the mount of last sale. lol Not going to happen. Last one sold in 3.5 for $27,500 in 2017! Wow. Arguably the first appearance of the first Timely superhero, 1st appearance of sub-mariner, and insanely rare. What is not to love?

Cool page showing first appearance in various media of superheroes

On 10/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, pemart1966 said:

It should be inarguably - he appears there!

The arguable part is if Motion Picture Funnies Weekly is a Timely. (shrug) I've seen people argue both ways and I never have seen a definitive answer.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, Mmehdy said:

I also remember a early GA Cap cover  which never appeared in print and was changed because Joesph Stalin was now on our side after Pearl...was that cover #1 or #2 , some early issue? Anyone know?

You are thinking of Young Allies #1.  Originally had Hitler and Stalin on the cover, which can be seen in the preview ad from Human Torch 5A.  

original_cover.jpeg

On 10/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Every book in my personal collection is tragically undervalued 

Me too! :whatthe:

What are the chances?

#brotherfromanothermother

On 10/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mmehdy said:

Opinion time...many years ago when fandom was just a baby everyone kept comic book knowledge to themselves until after they got the book...LOL. Anyway looking for the great boards opinion as to what is the single most undervalued GA comic book. Here is my vote:

Human Torch #3 (which is actually The HT's second issue, the first being the outstanding Red Raven #1)....Why...

Well....It is the true first appearance of Captain America in print form and in reality it truly is the first appearance of Captain American on page 44 of HT #3 (2). Lets say you consider house ad's of the future comic book not to count....Fair enough...I know the infamous Detective 26 etc. However while the inside  promotes Cap one coming out on Dec 20 Newstand I believe the inside front cover,that AD it a  refers to the reader to page 44...this reference is the key here, and the true first appearance of Cap and Bucky...in full page color appears, not a reproduction . You can reference this confirmation by Marvel and the outstanding omnibus edition "Timely's Greatest : The Golden Age Simon and Kirby" book. There description acknowledges as CA First Print appearance. It was the announcement of Cap's Club in full color. HT#3 (2) is clearly the must undervalued  GA comic book out there.

Agree or Disagree if you disagree what is it?   

PS: somebody just paid $3.12 Million dollars the second apperance of Captain America....and I just love Cap #1 as one of my Favs of the GA, but HT 3(2) is a real bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting topic.  The problem with getting good input is that, in most cases, folks will only want to identify undervalued books they already own.  If they don't yet have the books, then touting the books will only create a demand that makes it harder to get them.  Especially in our recent hot market where very few GA books seem to go for less than they are worth.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:20 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'll say Special Edition Comics 1. (I used to own a copy but currenlty don't, so I no stake in its value increasing.) Granted there are a lot of copies around, particularly in mid-grade and below. But an 8.0--one of the top 11 graded copies--selling for only $13K earlier this year? First appearance of one of the great GA characters and one who is still around? Seems crazy low given what's happened to GA prices in the past couple of years. 

whose first appearance was in Special Edition #1?

On 10/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Interesting topic.  The problem with getting good input is that, in most cases, folks will only want to identify undervalued books they already own.  If they don't yet have the books, then touting the books will only create a demand that makes it harder to get them.  Especially in our recent hot market where very few GA books seem to go for less than they are worth.

I alluded to that concern but in all fairness compared to the early days anyone willing to  put the time into research today can get up to speed on what is rare and valuable while back in the 70’s the sources of information were not just there other than Overstreet ‘s guide and the CBG and that was about it… comic book collecting really hit the map on the second Overstreet guide in I think 1972 where a number of collectors shared their knowledge which was then passed on thru the guide. 
  To me a close second was any and especially issue 2 of WOW Comics 1936 there are real sleepers I was outbid a number of years ago when Ha auctioned them and have regrets that I did not keep hitting the button. So there goes the theory that we will not talk something we don’t own. The list of characters, the artists , rarity everything going for them and if anyone on the boards has any you are a super lucky collector in my book especially if you own the very rare issue #2 and #1 has the first Eisner comic book art.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 10/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, IngelsFan said:

Of course the first installment was in The Comics Magazine as Dr. Mystic;https://medium.com/@Meimi/the-comics-magazine-1-doctor-occult-1936-3c436af221b0

The previous story arc, The Werewolf, wrapped up in More Fun 13. More Fun 14 picks up where part 1 in The Comics Magazine 1 left off.

The Comics Magazine as Dr Mystic

More Fun CM.JPG

On 10/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mmehdy said:

Opinion time...many years ago when fandom was just a baby everyone kept comic book knowledge to themselves until after they got the book...LOL. Anyway looking for the great boards opinion as to what is the single most undervalued GA comic book. Here is my vote:

Human Torch #3 (which is actually The HT's second issue, the first being the outstanding Red Raven #1)....Why...

Well....It is the true first appearance of Captain America in print form and in reality it truly is the first appearance of Captain American on page 44 of HT #3 (2). Lets say you consider house ad's of the future comic book not to count....Fair enough...I know the infamous Detective 26 etc. However while the inside  promotes Cap one coming out on Dec 20 Newstand I believe the inside front cover,that AD it a  refers to the reader to page 44...this reference is the key here, and the true first appearance of Cap and Bucky...in full page color appears, not a reproduction . You can reference this confirmation by Marvel and the outstanding omnibus edition "Timely's Greatest : The Golden Age Simon and Kirby" book. There description acknowledges as CA First Print appearance. It was the announcement of Cap's Club in full color. HT#3 (2) is clearly the must undervalued  GA comic book out there.

Agree or Disagree if you disagree what is it?   

PS: somebody just paid $3.12 Million dollars the second apperance of Captain America....and I just love Cap #1 as one of my Favs of the GA, but HT 3(2) is a real bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully Agree...plus a great Schomburg cover and a Subby feature 

human-torch-3-2.jpg