• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

217 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, Badger said:

The arguable part is if Motion Picture Funnies Weekly is a Timely. (shrug) I've seen people argue both ways and I never have seen a definitive answer.

Of course...but that's not what your OP says - hence my comment.

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/7/2022 at 5:33 PM, sagii said:

Good candidate. I would say Blue Ribbon Comics #1. Outside of Rang a Tang, probably not a great or exciting read feature to feature,  but it is the first comic book from MLJ/Archie publications, a publishing operation still around today. 

I never found Rang-A-Tang to exciting a read.

Too bad they didn't make a Mr Justice club...:sorry:

rangatangpin.jpg

On 10/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, Robot Man said:

rangatangpin.jpg

That would be a very desired item today for sure

(But Rang a Tang ain't so shabby either):cheers:

On 10/9/2022 at 8:54 AM, Robot Man said:

rangatangpin.jpg

Except in Blue Ribbon 22. The last Rang A Tang story where the little dog saves his life but dies. Good story.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:51 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Amazing Man Comics #5, first Amazing Man aka A-man, first Timely superhero on the newsstand (before Marvel 1), created specifically to be Timely's Superman.

Never thought of it that way, but you make a great point especially since it starts as #5 which was the continuation of Motion Picture Funnies 1-4 of which 2-4 were never published but the cover proofs exist. Since Motion Picture Funnies #1 was not on the newsstands, a valid if not popular argument can be made for Amazing Man as the first Timely hero.  

On 10/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, bronze johnny said:

Is there a more undervalued comic book than Crime Does Not Pay 22 (1943)? This book started what I call the Third Era in the History of the 20th Century American Comic Book (the First era being the Humor Comics that started with Funnies on Parade in 1933 followed by the Second era coinciding with the introduction of Superman and the Superhero Age with Action Comics 1 in 1938). The crime comics would surpass the popularity of the declining superhero based book during the years immediately following the end of the Second World War. Crime would be followed by romance and horror during the postwar years. We know what happened then and this one started it all (not my copy):

B9D5A8C5-5468-4631-8877-EE9879138960.jpeg.76bf3da0e4e69b012cd3bbe42e432243.jpeg

Don't forget Famous Funnies 27, the first ever "True Crime" comic, thought it was a one-off.  OOPS.  I see the post ahead of me already said this

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES