• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thrifty Grocer Collection
1 1

69 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, thehumantorch said:

The books are beautiful.  Flat and clean and with incredible page quality.

Thank you so much! I'm happy that there are others who can appreciate what these are. Being a HUGE Bill Everett fan, it was the first time I'd seen these issues with interior colors and inks looking so newsstand fresh! Some of Everett's BEST art came out in the 50s, in my opinion. (thumbsu

On 10/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for posting. You never saw these books back in the seventies and eighties and to get a semi complete collection even if cover less must have been awesome.

I was wide-eyed for sure when the lid came off that box! I was SO lucky that he stuck these aside for himself to enjoy, because he would occasionally set up as a dealer! When we started wheeling and dealing, he knew I was a Timely, Atlas, Marvel guy who was just grabbing up whatever Timely & Atlas superhero I could find. It was very fortuitous for me that we had gotten together to swap some books! 

On 10/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I'd be very, very happy to have these kinds of books in my collection.  Congrats!

Thanks! In hindsight, I wish I had bought some of the other titles, as I recall seeing a few Batman issues from the same period and those were relatively inexpensive. These Atlas issues were quite a bit more. 

I have a couple similar coverless copies of those myself. I would be happy as heck to find more. Great art (especially the Everett) and stories. Nice score!

I long ago hit a guy with a similar stash. I bought every EC he had as well as a number of other titles including Atlas. 

Edited by Robot Man

Normally I would never want to own or be fascinated by anything without the cover or incomplete…but these are on another level. Even without the story. The story is a delightful cherry on top and I’m glad they went to someone who has kept them together for the last 25ish years 

Great story.  After reading how the books were all in pristine condition, my jaw dropped when I got to the part where you started identifying them, including Cap 74!  But then I got to the punchline about the covers missing.  Darn!!  But then again, it's probably a good thing because if the covers had been on them, they would likely be residing in the collections of Fischler, Sartre or Bedrock.  In any event, the ones you posted are beautiful!  :applause:

On 10/8/2022 at 6:44 AM, comicjack said:

Those are some great looking coverless with nice paper and popping colors :banana:

Thanks @comicjack I really appreciate that! I just shot a few pics of other issues, as I felt the lighting of the first few I shot didn't show the page quality very accurately.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:56 AM, Electron said:

Lots of great stuff in those pages, and the condition is truly remarkable! What a cool collection to have. Kudos to you for snapping them up in a time when many collectors might have passed due to no cover. Way to go geek!

Thanks RJ! You've seen 'em up close (and perhaps will again very soon) and you know how fresh they are! Oh, btw, I got tired of calling them the "white page coverless books!" lol

On 10/8/2022 at 9:45 AM, Robot Man said:

I have a couple similar coverless copies of those myself. I would be happy as heck to find more. Great art (especially the Everett) and stories. Nice score!

I long ago hit a guy with a similar stash. I bought every EC he had as well as a number of other titles including Atlas. 

You bring up an interesting point and a thought that has swirled around in my head over the years! There were a LOT of other books from what I was told, and my friend (a DC man) only really grabbed DCs and the Superhero Atlas books, but he said there was a mix, essentially spread across all relevant publishers of that time period. So, my passing thought over the years is, "Where are all of those other comics???" Certainly, the guy knew enough to offer them to other people beyond my friend!!! There aren't any identifying markings on the comics, just that they are flat, clean copies with very nice page quality. If someone say 'purchased a batch' with uniformly consistent characteristics as this collection, I'd tend to believe that they came from the same original source. 

On 10/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Great story.  After reading how the books were all in pristine condition, my jaw dropped when I got to the part where you started identifying them, including Cap 74!  But then I got to the punchline about the covers missing.  Darn!!  But then again, it's probably a good thing because if the covers had been on them, they would likely be residing in the collections of Fischler, Sartre or Bedrock.  In any event, the ones you posted are beautiful!  :applause:

Thanks so much Peter! Yeah, as I was writing out the story, it occurred to me to keep the reveal of the coverless nature for the end, figuring if I said so up front, most people may just stop reading right there. And that would be a shame, as it's always struck me as a neat, working man's pedigree type of story. Kind of funny too, in that it has the qualifications of being a pedigree in most regards (yes, except the covers being gone) as they came from the exact same source, they were meticulously stored away and preserved and as I understand it, the collection was hefty in size. You're very likely spot on in that if these comics didn't have their covers neatly removed and were stored away in the same manner, they'd have very likely grabbed MAJOR LEAGUE attention when they finally made their way to market! Almost CERTAINLY a pedigree if there were other key books included!