• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this allowed in a 9.8?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Who knows what CGC will allow anymore for any grade.  I've got a 9.8 Red Sonja from 2020 that has a noticeable finger bend on the bottom front.  I know they did that...sure wasn't me.  Problem is, I don't know if they graded it before or after the finger bend appeared. (shrug)

I'm kind of confused really, because there are so many people torn on this subject. 

Some are saying apart from this, the book is a 9.8 all day long. "Negligible handling or manufacturing" defects is what is listed under the 9.8 criteria? I've only a few minutes ago seen a Secret Wars #8 on eBay in a 9.8 with a horrible misswrap.  

Being only a few months into this hobby, the amount of contradictory information surrounding one topic is very confusing. Would be awesome if a CGC grader could chime in!

On 10/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, IllusionEntity said:

I'm kind of confused really, because there are so many people torn on this subject. 

Some are saying apart from this, the book is a 9.8 all day long. "Negligible handling or manufacturing" defects is what is listed under the 9.8 criteria? I've only a few minutes ago seen a Secret Wars #8 on eBay in a 9.8 with a horrible misswrap.  

Being only a few months into this hobby, the amount of contradictory information surrounding one topic is very confusing. Would be awesome if a CGC grader could chime in!

If a CGC grader chimed in every time there was an issue with a slab...they wouldn't have time to do their job grading

On 10/11/2022 at 12:22 AM, Ed Hanes said:

If a CGC grader chimed in every time there was an issue with a slab...they wouldn't have time to do their job grading

Well arguably, if I post a 9.8 on this forum and all of the members are telling me its not even a 9.8.. Are they even doing that job?

I'm not sure if I'm massively off point here. I'm just trying to work this out!

- All corners of the book are sharp.
- There is one incredibly small spine tick which is not colour breaking (barely even visible)
- Cover is immaculate
- Rear Cover is immaculate
So on the entire book, the only issues are a barely visible (non colour breaking) spine tick and a slightly "missplaced" staple? 

I guess I'm kind of answering my own question here - but wouldnt that fall perfectly under "Negligible handling or manufacturing" defects?

On 10/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, IllusionEntity said:

Well arguably, if I post a 9.8 on this forum and all of the members are telling me its not even a 9.8.. Are they even doing that job?

I was being sarcastic 

Anyway, welcome to the club of people who feel CGC has a QC problem ..it's a big club

Edited by Ed Hanes

Just remember that grading is subjective. While there is criteria, at the end of the day it's an inexact science. 

Also, humans make mistakes. It's possible the two graders over looked the minor flaw. It's also possible it's SCS (shaken comic syndrome)  

That would mean it was a 9.8 when graded and after the fact someone dropped it or it was poorly packed during shipping and handled roughly.  

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is often negligible. It's really important to look over the book and identify defects. With modern slabs, there are usually enough out there that it's safe to pass on a slab and wait for the next deal to come around. 

Welcome to the hobby and good luck!