• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 90's - the last era of hand-lettered art boards? Let's see your favorite Copper pages with lettering!

59 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 3:42 PM, skrilla1212 said:

The lettering choices in these two pages always stuck out to me from Peter David and Joe Quesada’s X-Factor.

On the first page, Havok saying “I can’t think of a word loathsome enough”, under his breath because the words are smaller in the balloon.

On the second, “Random?!” “Are you out of your mind?” Incredulous.

Something really lost without word balloons:(

F1B6DEC7-C54A-4805-B9AA-0B95DEC73B94.thumb.jpeg.31ec0d751f83355fab37fb093c768356.jpeg

That second page are the types of layouts I really love - lots of varying type with important dialogue and really great art that makes the page stay interesting while balancing all the words. I actually forgot Joe Q worked for awhile on X-Force, I don't think I recall ever seeing an original page from that era. That second page is positively an awesome example of the best of Marvel in the 90s.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 2/2/2023 at 7:34 AM, Nate Hartz said:

X-Factor 92 - Letterer Richard Starkings 

xfactor.jpg

Another killer X-Factor page. Awesome lettering and effects - thanks for posting that. I especially love the "LORNA DANE IS NOBODY'S MONKEY" Personally, that's what I look for in a lettered page: unique dialogue!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 10/11/2022 at 2:47 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I expect the links would break since I didn’t upload the pictures. I prefer to keep my collection confidential, but after I get out of the hospital, I will try to send you a snippet.

C'mon have some funnnnnnn!!!

You could still keep your biggest pieces confidential!

On 2/14/2023 at 10:55 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Colleen has posted this one on a few occasions, and it has gotten quite a few likes. I had asked her to do a female version of the Phantom Stranger, and she hit it.

CollenDora.thumb.jpg.4ac1e42cc82f0dabc3db4a699ae7e96e.jpg

She sure did. That might be my favorite piece of hers!

On 2/1/2023 at 1:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That's pretty neat - I had no idea there were letterers doing that in the early 2000s!

In the defunct Vertigo line, other examples can be found. I have a 2003 Fable page (coming from a special issue) with ballons and letters too.

Here's my entry, Twilight 2 page 46 (1991), written by Howard Chaykin, drawn by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and lettered by Ken Bruzenak.

Lettering for this 3 issue mini-series was pasted on.  Not necessarily for this page but I have a guess that some dialog was rewritten after the pages were drawn because there's an unusual amount of word balloons with pretty long tails.  Just very strange when JLGL is drawing a story.  And when you see these pages for sale, they're usually missing some lettering.  I got this page from Scott Dunbier back when he was originally selling art for JLGL.

It's not pertinent to the story but this line makes for a fun page.  I'm not a cat person but this page has my favorite line of the series:

You're pretty sharp for a biped, that is-- but anybody who expects gratitude from a cat is a real azzhole."

twi2p46.jpg

Edited by Will_K

Some of my faves from Birds of Prey.

Babs and Dinah out on the town, and Babs having a quiet moment to herself on vacation.

Plus, a double page splash of Babs defending herself despite her wheel chair. All by very underrated artist Casey Jones.

Barbara Gordon: Are you kidding? I was a demon on the dance floor! I've closed every club in Gotham!

IMG_20230218_122204595.jpg

IMG_20230218_122309426.jpg

IMG_20230218_122423141.jpg

Edited by babsrocks31

On 6/6/2023 at 5:36 PM, redrighthand said:

Without the lettering, this page wouldn't be much - but with it, it's a favorite. A complete thought in nine panels.

shade.jpg

I think those pages that form complete thoughts (most of them should considering the idea of the page turn, but it doesn't always work out that way) are the ones that stand out really strong on their own. That's a great page!

On 6/6/2023 at 5:10 PM, RBerman said:

I was surprised that this 2012 page from Giordano and Layton had lettering on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe9c0534828db1462e0f0ea911065394.jpeg

I have a bunch of those, without letters, but they come from later chapters than your page. (BTW, "Colony" is a nice underated work, IMHO)

Bob Layton explained to me one day at a european Con that the early chapters had everything on them for publication on his website, and gradually, as the pages advanced, deadlines for his others work-for-hire works, pushed him to letter the new pages only digitally.

On 6/7/2023 at 4:50 PM, Ecclectica said:

I have a bunch of those, without letters, but they come from later chapters than your page. (BTW, "Colony" is a nice underated work, IMHO)

I just remembered that I had still a screenshot of another early page :

c09.jpg