• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game memories
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Second hand Playstation 1 

Tomb Raider 1.  Now, of course, the graphics are blocky and the controls incredibly clumsy, but I discovered that I really liked exploring the imaginatively designed environments in the game, and why I now like taking my time exploring around in much larger RPGs.  Quite a tough game.

Classic Doom.  Unlike Tomb Raider 1, something I could still pick up and play.  Pure, cathartic, non-stop destruction.

As a kid growing up with my family…Atari 2600.  Favorite game was Adventure.

My first console after moving out…SNES.  Favorite game was Final Fantasy III.

See a trend? lol

Edited by Galen130

On 10/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, Galen130 said:

As a kid growing up with my family…Atari 2600.  Favorite game was Adventure.

My first console after moving out…SNES.  Favorite game was Final Fantasy III.

See a trend? lol

The first brand new console I ever bought was the first X-Box, towards the end of its life cycle: actually, the 360 had just come out.  The games were beginning to disappear from the shops as well, but I picked up Halo 1 and 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, GTA San Andreas, the first three Splinter Cell games, and the surprisingly good Chronicles of Riddick.  So, a cheap console, and a surprisingly good-if-limited range of classic games as well, given my late timing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/10/2022 at 7:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The first brand new console I ever bought was the first X-Box, towards the end of its life cycle: actually, the 360 had just come out.  The games were beginning to disappear from the shops as well, but I picked up Halo 1 and 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, GTA San Andreas, the first three Splinter Cell games, and the surprisingly good Chronicles of Riddick.  So, a cheap console, and a surprisingly good if limited range of classic games as well, given my late timing.

I actually had an Xbox 360 for a while, but didn’t play many games on it.  I bought the console to play the Mass Effect games, which were great…of course.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The first brand new console I ever bought was the first X-Box, towards the end of its life cycle: actually, the 360 had just come out.  The games were beginning to disappear from the shops as well, but I picked up Halo 1 and 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, GTA San Andreas, the first three Splinter Cell games, and the surprisingly good Chronicles of Riddick.  So, a cheap console, and a surprisingly good-if-limited range of classic games as well, given my late timing.

One of my all time favorite games.  I especially loved going through the 'we don't go into ravenholm' part, very cool!

On 10/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, s-man said:

What was your first console?  And favorite game on it?

Mine:  Atari 2600

Favorite Game: Missile Command

Atari 2600 - Wikipedia

Same. Same.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered my very first "console" was Pong.  2 sticks hitting a box back and forth. I felt like Elroy Jetson living in the future.

Edited by Chaz G.

GameCube as a kid. My personal favorite was Midway Arcade Treasures 2. Playing Gauntlet, Mortal Kombat, Total Carnage, and Rampage World Tour had a profound effect on my love of video games.

Some other gems were Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (the Y-Wing bombing campaigns and the Datooine missions were visually mesmerizing), Shrek 2 (simple enough RPG elements that reminded me of the Bard's Tale remake that came out around the same time.), and Mario Kart Double Dash.

First console: NES

Favourite game: Played a ton of Mario 3, Ice Hockey and Castlevania 2. That sucker was hard

Favourite memory: I was 7 and we had to go to supper at East side Marios. I had made it so far in Mario and did not want to lose my progress, so I paused and turned the TV off. Well 3 hours later when we got him, all was well but that little NES was scorching hot...my dad made me turn it off so it would not die on me.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, Cliff R. said:

The Atari 2600 was probably the first console I bought.  Spent a lot of time playing Space Invaders.

Shortly after that, I acquired a Vectrex console and was addicted to Battlezone.

The Vectrex used a vector scan display instead of a raster scan.bzone_gameplay.jpg.7f1c928b48bf3a7b6f3c6414dcd794f6.jpg

Lines were bright with no pixelation.

Wish I'd kept it.

I loved the look of Battlezone.  Never played it on the console, just in arcades and spent a lot of quarters on it.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:21 PM, s-man said:

I loved the look of Battlezone.  Never played it on the console, just in arcades and spent a lot of quarters on it.

Battlezone was one of the first 3D games.  The other games of that era couldn't match that sensation of being immersed in a battle from all sides. It was great. 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, Cliff R. said:

Battlezone was one of the first 3D games.  The other games of that era couldn't match that sensation of being immersed in a battle from all sides. It was great. 

Also loved the Star Wars arcade game (Atari 1983) which had the 3D feel as well.  Unfortunately I sucked at it and never came close to beating it.