• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC seems to have forgotten or lost my submission...
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I submitted 6 comics (submission #3953372), which CGC recorded as receiving on October 22, 2021; it's now October 11, 2022 (almost an entire calendar year and 240 work days later) and THE STATUS HAS NOT CHANGED.

CGC lists the slowest possible TURN AROUND time as 240 works days and NOTHING has been turned around; in fact, it's as if NOTHING HAS HAPPENED SINCE I SENT THESE COMICS A YEAR AGO.

This seems highly unprofessional and terrible customer service. Has anyone else had such a negative experience submitting comics? Never submitting to CGC again; this is disgraceful...

so the listed TAT estimate was 240 work days.

So 52 weeks x 5 days (M-F) per week = 260 days.

Then the average company has 12 holidays, some a little more, some a little less.  We'll say 12, so now we're down to 248 work days.

Then lets say 4 days off for weather in Florida.  So now we're down to 244 work days.

So right now you're 4 days more than the ESTIMATED TAT.

4/240 = 1.7%

So I'm not saying its not an unreasonably long time, but you seem pretty worked up about a service taking 1.7% longer than they ESTIMATED FOR YOU.

I know persoally I yell at the host/hostess at restaurants when they say I'll probably wait 20 minutes for a table, but it takes 22 minutes.  That's literally 10%, those dirty rats.  DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM????

On 10/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, bobberous said:

This seems highly unprofessional and terrible customer service. Has anyone else had such a negative experience submitting comics? Never submitting to CGC again; this is disgraceful...

You're new here, so you missed the 10,000 posts ahead of you complaining of the same thing.

Welcome to the boards!!!

On 10/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, Lightning55 said:

You're new here, so you missed the 10,000 posts ahead of you complaining of the same thing.

Welcome to the boards!!!

haha yes, I'm that annoying newb who salvos with the most basic, self-entitled post, stamps his feet, and throws a fit. Nice to meet everyone btw happy to be here!

On 10/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, bobberous said:

True, didn't mean to come off like a bitter, angry nerd (although in rereading my post, def got that vibe) but it just seems kinda absurd that it's taking this long with NO update. I get CGC is busy (that's great) and I get that there was a hurricane (that's horrible) but I guess just giving customers more than "scheduled for grading" for almost a full calendar year would be a bit more than a courtesy. I've sent several other books to CGC and haven't had any problems (even if it took a while to get back). Usually they get the books back to me before the turn around time (and certainly updated the books status prior to the turn around time). I don't know why this submission is any different and it makes me nervous that my submission fell through the cracks...  

The way it generally works - as far as status on the dashboard - is that there is no movement or change on the dashboard until literally the last couple of weeks. They they go from no movement to done in just a week or two. 

This no doubt accurately reflects how books are really handled. It doesn't take a year to press (I'm guessing you are having your books pressed) or grade books. Rather books SIT IN THE VAULT with no movement at all - no one touches or looks at them - until all the books received before yours are done. So when you see no movement, no status change - it simply means the books are sitting and waiting their turn. 

Waiting sucks. We all have been there and don't like it.  In the future, you have to decide if you would rather wait and have more $$ in your pocket or pay more $$ and get your books back sooner. 

I suppose if they warn people of extended turn around times, taking a year to even get to something, let alone complete the task, may be considered somehow reasonable, but really for something as simple as grading and slabbing a comic book it is ridiculous. This isn't like restoring an automobile or building an addition. I realize CGC offers premium service with faster turnaround times, but honestly, if it is going to take you a year to get around to grading comics, you should just stop accepting that level of submission until TATs become more reasonable. 

I don't know if it works with CGC, but sometimes if you are just the persistent (but polite) customer who calls in once a week to ask about the progress of a job you get moved up the line just so you stop calling.

One thing to consider is CGC has made several statements in the past year about how they've implemented new efficiencies and that turnaround times should improve.  We've heard stories of people submitting books and getting them back in under 2 months.  And yet we still hear stories like OPs of people who have had submissions for over 6 months still not seeing movement.

So what is it?  Has CGC improved its processes like they've stated, or haven't they?  It's disingenuous to issue a statement when evidence says otherwise.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:09 PM, bobberous said:

I submitted 6 comics (submission #3953372), which CGC recorded as receiving on October 22, 2021; it's now October 11, 2022 (almost an entire calendar year and 240 work days later) and THE STATUS HAS NOT CHANGED.

CGC lists the slowest possible TURN AROUND time as 240 works days and NOTHING has been turned around; in fact, it's as if NOTHING HAS HAPPENED SINCE I SENT THESE COMICS A YEAR AGO.

Wait a minute.  Did you use Economy?   It's 240 days turnaround.  Everyone said same thing.  Welcome to the boards.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, ExNihilo said:

One thing to consider is CGC has made several statements in the past year about how they've implemented new efficiencies and that turnaround times should improve.  We've heard stories of people submitting books and getting them back in under 2 months.  And yet we still hear stories like OPs of people who have had submissions for over 6 months still not seeing movement.

So what is it?  Has CGC improved its processes like they've stated, or haven't they?  It's disingenuous to issue a statement when evidence says otherwise.

My last fast track economy submission was completed in under two weeks, from received to shipped. The grades were correct and there were no QC issues with the cases. So something has changed.

With that said, they are clearly deprioritizing slow track economy. 

On 10/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, Ryan. said:

My last fast track economy submission was completed in under two weeks, from received to shipped. The grades were correct and there were no QC issues with the cases. So something has changed.

With that said, they are clearly deprioritizing slow track economy. 

Yep. All one has to do is look at their TAT page to know this is true. The discrepancy between slow and fast track economy clearly shows that improvement for slow economy could be made if CGC was so inclined. The fact that FT Economy is so quick is proof that Economy could be faster, but CGC is deliberately slowing it down so their customers give them extra $ for faster service, Pretty scummy business tactic.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, Gaard said:

Yep. All one has to do is look at their TAT page to know this is true. The discrepancy between slow and fast track economy clearly shows that improvement for slow economy could be made if CGC was so inclined. The fact that FT Economy is so quick is proof that Economy could be faster, but CGC is deliberately slowing it down so their customers give them extra $ for faster service, Pretty scummy business tactic.

But Slow track Economy is the only one seeing absurdly high TAT's.  If they wanted to slow down TAT's to make customers pay more, wouldn't they do it for Modern?  Surely there are more modern tier books being submitted than Economy.

I have no idea what's going on down in Florida right now. I've had Modern books that have been received by them over a month ago, and they're not even in submission tracking yet. I also have economy that is expected to be almost a year? Their whole process is very archaic. Seems like CGC is stuck in the year 2001 still. There's no reason why this whole grading/encapsulating process should take as long as it does. I mean, if they can't handle in house private signings, then they should stop doing it, because they obviously can't handle the volume of books that are being sent in. I've already been getting ready to go to CBCS instead after I get all my orders back, and my membership expires. This whole process is nothing but exploitation. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Martian Manhunter said:

I have no idea what's going on down in Florida right now. I've had Modern books that have been received by them over a month ago, and they're not even in submission tracking yet. I also have economy that is expected to be almost a year? Their whole process is very archaic. Seems like CGC is stuck in the year 2001 still. There's no reason why this whole grading/encapsulating process should take as long as it does. I mean, if they can't handle in house private signings, then they should stop doing it, because they obviously can't handle the volume of books that are being sent in. I've already been getting ready to go to CBCS instead after I get all my orders back, and my membership expires. This whole process is nothing but exploitation. 

I mean, I hear the other guys have issues of their own (see: lost books) and the timing for them can be just as bad.

I agree that this topic has been hashed and re-hashed countless times, and nothing has really changed. I submitted books to CGC under modern, standard and economy in the last year and a half just to test out the process. I got the standards back within a month. The moderns took a couple of months. The economy (four books) is now at 11 months. As someone who has worked for several Fortune 500 companies with consumer interfaces, I find it extraordinary that a company can actually stay in business and thrive with such a business model. I'm also amazed that so many of us put up with this spoon. What's even more surprising to me is that a viable competitor hasn't stepped up to make the business more competitive and put pressure on CGC to improve its customer service. That's what a monopoly can do. It's certainly made me rethink submitting the 100 or so Silver Age books I've set aside for possible CGC grading, because only a few of them would actually justify the financial cost of standard service, and I don't want to have the rest of them sitting in someone's warehouse for a year or more. Just my two cents.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:12 AM, CHodges said:

...put pressure on CGC to improve its customer service. That's what a monopoly can do.

CGC's Customer Service department is one of the better parts of their business... Their competitors (not a monopoly) have quite literally no customer service.