CGC seems to have forgotten or lost my submission...
2 2

39 posts in this topic

 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:12 AM, CHodges said:

...put pressure on CGC to improve its customer service. That's what a monopoly can do.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC's Customer Service department is one of the better parts of their business... Their competitors (not a monopoly) have quite literally no customer service.

I believe by "customer service" he meant operational service, such as grading accurately and with reasonable speed, doing a good job.  Like getting good service at a restaurant or retail store.  Not referring to the Customer Service Dept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC's Customer Service department is one of the better parts of their business... Their competitors (not a monopoly) have quite literally no customer service.

Not a monopoly is correct. Also correct is they have no true competition. 

CBCS may have their defenders, but from what i see at auctions they also have very few buyers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2022 at 7:12 AM, CHodges said:

What's even more surprising to me is that a viable competitor hasn't stepped up to make the business more competitive and put pressure on CGC to improve its customer service.

That's because the barrier to entry is high.  Not necessarily in the sense of creating a similar product, but the establishment of trust and goodwill.  No one wants to use anything else because there's zero history between consumers and competitors that equate to equivalent resale values between brands.  CGC is held in a higher regard and it doesn't look like anything will change the minds of consumers.  The last two years we've seen countless QC issues, acetate gate, and massive turnaround times, and customers continue to submit in droves.  Seriously, the QC issues should have been enough to reduce trust in their product, yet here we still are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2022 at 1:32 AM, Lightning55 said:

 

I believe by "customer service" he meant operational service, such as grading accurately and with reasonable speed, doing a good job.  Like getting good service at a restaurant or retail store.  Not referring to the Customer Service Dept.

Someone can be the greatest waiter in the world, but if the chefs in the kitchen can't get the food prepared and on the table in a reasonable amount of time, the great customer service by the waiter is a moot point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC's Customer Service department is one of the better parts of their business... Their competitors (not a monopoly) have quite literally no customer service.

While there are others who try to provide a grading service, I still contend CGC can be classified as a monopoly, which is a market structure where a single seller OR a producer assumes a dominant position in an industry or a sector. I say that without actually knowing what percentage of the evaluation and grading market CGC controls, but I presume it is more than 50 percent. The Justice Department holds this position regarding monopoly positions: "As a practical matter, a market share of greater than fifty percent has been necessary for courts to find the existence of monopoly power. If a firm has maintained a market share in excess of two-thirds for a significant period and the firm's market share is unlikely to be eroded in the near future, the Department believes that such facts ordinarily should establish a rebuttable presumption that the firm possesses monopoly power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, CHodges said:

Someone can be the greatest waiter in the world, but if the chefs in the kitchen can't get the food prepared and on the table in a reasonable amount of time, the great customer service by the waiter is a moot point.

Exactly. The waiter can be the coolest dude in the world, who smiles from ear to ear when he brings me my 25 glasses of water while I wait for my food. And when it finally does come, it totally sucks. I'll never go back there again. I'll go to Denny's first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, ExNihilo said:

That's because the barrier to entry is high.  Not necessarily in the sense of creating a similar product, but the establishment of trust and goodwill.  No one wants to use anything else because there's zero history between consumers and competitors that equate to equivalent resale values between brands.  CGC is held in a higher regard and it doesn't look like anything will change the minds of consumers.  The last two years we've seen countless QC issues, acetate gate, and massive turnaround times, and customers continue to submit in droves.  Seriously, the QC issues should have been enough to reduce trust in their product, yet here we still are.

You make good points. It would take a lot of effort on the part of a viable competitor to build trust and goodwill, but I'm surprised no one, even the minor competitors, have been able to turn it to their advantage.. I'm sure CGC's issues in the last couple of years (at least) have eroded their standing in many customers' minds. Personally speaking, CGC has done nothing to establish trust or goodwill regarding the services I've paid them to deliver..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It truly is startling that, even though CGC has become such a joke of a company, nobody has walked through the open door removed CGC from the top of the mountain.

It's not just the stupid long and manipulated tats. It's not just the idiotic decisions being made. It's not just the complete lack of Quality Control, or the questionable grading or even the Phantom Flaws and cookie cutter notes ... it's the "I don't give a ____" attitude that CGC has so blatantly exhibited for each of these.  Actions, incidents, mistakes, et al, can be fixed. Attitudes can't. They need to be adjusted. If that doesn't happen, and soon, and from the top down, CGC won't be around very much longer, imo.

I'm pretty sure there are other companies out there with the same combination of incompetence, greed, and lack of integrity, but I'm not aware of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, bobberous said:
On 10/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, revat said:

so the listed TAT estimate was 240 work days.

So 52 weeks x 5 days (M-F) per week = 260 days.

Then the average company has 12 holidays, some a little more, some a little less.  We'll say 12, so now we're down to 248 work days.

Then lets say 4 days off for weather in Florida.  So now we're down to 244 work days.

So right now you're 4 days more than the ESTIMATED TAT.

4/240 = 1.7%

So I'm not saying its not an unreasonably long time, but you seem pretty worked up about a service taking 1.7% longer than they ESTIMATED FOR YOU.

 

I know persoally I yell at the host/hostess at restaurants when they say I'll probably wait 20 minutes for a table, but it takes 22 minutes.  That's literally 10%, those dirty rats.  DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM????

Expand  

True, didn't mean to come off like a bitter, angry nerd (although in rereading my post, def got that vibe) but it just seems kinda absurd that it's taking this long with NO update. I get CGC is busy (that's great) and I get that there was a hurricane (that's horrible) but I guess just giving customers more than "scheduled for grading" for almost a full calendar year would be a bit more than a courtesy. I've sent several other books to CGC and haven't had any problems (even if it took a while to get back). Usually they get the books back to me before the turn around time (and certainly updated the books status prior to the turn around time). I don't know why this submission is any different and it makes me nervous that my submission fell through the cracks...  

So . . . did they come yet??? :shiftyeyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, divad said:

I remember the good old days when you could actually call and speak with a grader or two. :foryou: And you'd have your books back in hand in two months from the day you sent them. :peace:

So do I when you would get Economy grading tier comic books back before they turned to paper pulp. :blush:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this another thread where someone pays for "economy" service and is disappointed when they receive "economy" service? lol 

Maybe throw down some extra cash if turn around times are that important? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes turn around times are terrible for Economies and Magazines from last year, please quit submitting under those tiers so my books can get graded quicker.   Otherwise all their other tiers are getting graded and out the door very quickly, no longer do I surrender any fast track surcharges for moderns, my only concern is why Express and Walk Through are taking longer than some moderns and fast track economies.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 8:19 PM, Gaard said:

It truly is startling that, even though CGC has become such a joke of a company, nobody has walked through the open door removed CGC from the top of the mountain.

It's not just the stupid long and manipulated tats. It's not just the idiotic decisions being made. It's not just the complete lack of Quality Control, or the questionable grading or even the Phantom Flaws and cookie cutter notes ... it's the "I don't give a ____" attitude that CGC has so blatantly exhibited for each of these.  Actions, incidents, mistakes, et al, can be fixed. Attitudes can't. They need to be adjusted. If that doesn't happen, and soon, and from the top down, CGC won't be around very much longer, imo.

I'm pretty sure there are other companies out there with the same combination of incompetence, greed, and lack of integrity, but I'm not aware of them.

PSA.

In addition many now believe that PSA doles out their highest grades according to existing census percentages and based on the submitter (large customers get true grade of cards when the highest grades are merited).  True or not I don't know, but based on their past shenanigans it falls squarely into plausible territory.

Edited by MAR1979
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, newshane said:

Is this another thread where someone pays for "economy" service and is disappointed when they receive "economy" service? lol 

Maybe throw down some extra cash if turn around times are that important? 

Or maybe just move along . . . and don't send them in at all. hm Why would anybody buy a comic "book" encased in plastic anyway? It's not like it's better, safer, easier to look at or read, or more appreciable in any way other than the marketplace's infatuation with it. :sumo:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, CHodges said:

While there are others who try to provide a grading service, I still contend CGC can be classified as a monopoly, which is a market structure where a single seller OR a producer assumes a dominant position in an industry or a sector. I say that without actually knowing what percentage of the evaluation and grading market CGC controls, but I presume it is more than 50 percent. The Justice Department holds this position regarding monopoly positions: "As a practical matter, a market share of greater than fifty percent has been necessary for courts to find the existence of monopoly power. If a firm has maintained a market share in excess of two-thirds for a significant period and the firm's market share is unlikely to be eroded in the near future, the Department believes that such facts ordinarily should establish a rebuttable presumption that the firm possesses monopoly power.

As long as you realize that you're wrong. (shrug)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, newshane said:

Is this another thread where someone pays for "economy" service and is disappointed when they receive "economy" service? lol 

Maybe throw down some extra cash if turn around times are that important? 

giphy.gif

Edited by divad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2