• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ART DAY! Jeff Hawke by Sydney Jordan
1 1

6 posts in this topic

During the mid-1980s, Titan UK reprinted a two-volume selection of classic strips from the long-running UK science-fiction strip, Jeff Hawke, by Sydney Jordan.  This was my first exposure to the strip, which was originally carried by a single newspaper, The Daily Express, that neither myself nor my family ever bought.

The two reprint editions were given a touch of class up-front by sporting Brian Bolland covers (Bolland had assisted Sydney Jordan on one of the latter Jeff Hawke strips, so there was a connection of sorts).

The first two strips of the reprint Volume One, 'Overlord' and 'Survival' (circa 1960) saw Jordan's layouts being finished by an artist named Colin Andrew.  Andrew took inspiration for his finished art by channeling the works of EC artists such as Wally Wood, Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta and even Johnny Craig.

This morning, I received two daily 'Overlord' originals directly from Mr. Jordan (now in his 90s), following an earlier purchase of several months ago of six 'Survival' episodes.  These would appear to be the last examples from the two stories as he's now exhausted his search and can find no more.

Larger scans can be seen in my CAF Galleries at:

Comic Art Gallery of Terry Doyle at ComicArtFans.com

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Awesome set of strips

If you are in touch with Mr. Jordan - can you ask him who might have helped him ink this one?

Also, maybe folks have educated opinions?

Mark

P.S. Sorry for any kinked necks - it is landscape on my laptop...

Jordan Jeff Hawke Basebuilder H7616 landscape.jpg

Edited by mtlevy1
tried to fix pic

On 10/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, mtlevy1 said:

Awesome set of strips

If you are in touch with Mr. Jordan - can you ask him who might have helped him ink this one?

Mark

It's from a story called 'Basebuilder' (1981), when Jeff Hawke became Lance McLane.  Not sure who assisted but I'll ask Sydney next time we speak.

d.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, mtlevy1 said:

Awesome set of strips

Mark

Sydney Jordan tells me that an artist named Thayen Rich provided the finishes on your daily.