• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading with dates written in pen on Bronze Age
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I recently obtained a collection with a good number of high grade comics from around 1978-80.  Many of them have a date written in pen, usually around the price or Marvel box. Some of the books are potential 9.8 contenders (yes, I know this example has a bit of a corner crunch - there are other high grade books, this one just happened to be sitting nearby), Would a written date like this preclude a book from getting a 9.8?

IMG_1142.jpeg

According to the grading standards (Heritage) the "arrival date" affecting grade on an otherwise perfect copy is going to be left up the the graders interpretation of the written arrival date. How does one define "Small, inconspicuous, unobtrusive"?

"Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location."

The grading standards all state the same thing in grades from NM- 9.2 to Mint 9.9...

If only cgc would put out a book with their grading standards. I don't like date marks so I remove them if possible on books of value. But it was a common practice ( not so much in bronze age ) and I feel like I have seen 9.8s with them. Definitely seen other grades that the date had zero effect on the grade.