• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Banning of Earthbind and the Censorship of artistic expression
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2022 at 10:32 AM, cstojano said:

Interesting that this is being construed as woke censorship (ie a dig on the left) because I can imagine a universe where the right wing pundits would declare the re-release of this card as a satanic, anti-Christian pedo ring conspiracy type of thing aimed at corrupting your children. 

Yeah, like why they removed demons and such for years when the game was young but growing and gaining attention so they weren't destroyed by attacks from delusional :censored: clowns.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bronty said:

Some fun math on this set is that apparently they are printing 3000 sets of new border rares and about 1000 sets of old border rares.     Call that 4000 sets (per Joel Mick who was once their counsel).   Call it 125 rares per set for easy math - equals 500,000 rare cards.    Say 200/rare (it’s 250/pack but packs have an opportunity to contain another rare in the retro card slot) for easy math.    $100,000,000 .   I can’t imagine their direct costs (printing, updating text, etc) on the set are even a million , so it’s the easiest money they’ll ever make as long as people buy it. 

The artists will be getting their cut, too. You must know about the (retrospectively) favourable deals the original artists got and why WOTC generally doesn't use any early art anymore, regardless of whether or not it fits with the current artistic direction.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:32 AM, cstojano said:

Interesting that this is being construed as woke censorship (ie a dig on the left) because I can imagine a universe where the right wing pundits would declare the re-release of this card as a satanic, anti-Christian pedo ring conspiracy type of thing aimed at corrupting your children. 

We don't have to imagine a universe, we have our past history and the Comics Code Authority.

No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title. All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted. All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.

So are we fighting not about what is lurid or offensive, but who is blamed for putting on the restrictions? 

Is some art ok because it's aligned with our beliefs and the rest should be removed because it does not align?

Thanks for making your point. It's food for thought.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have a $50M Van Gogh that gets vandalized in the name of "protest". It seems that rather than creating art to communicate a message, our modern culture is using the destruction and censorship of art to communicate a message.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

On the other side of the spectrum, we have a $50M Van Gogh that gets vandalized in the name of "protest". It seems that rather than creating art to communicate a message, our modern culture is using the destruction and censorship of art to communicate a message.

I googled the incident.    It is Sunflowers, one of his best known pieces.    So its surely worth far more than $50M today (300-400m I would guess?).

Anyways, the painting was behind glass and had some tomato soup thrown at it.   It is apparently unharmed.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/14/2022 at 4:29 PM, Bronty said:

Anyways, the painting was behind glass and had some tomato soup thrown at it.   It is apparently unharmed.

That's a relief. Still quite disturbing that statements are being taken out on art. There's been plenty of cow blood thrown at people over the years for various reasons, but WTF did Van Gogh ever do to these guys?

- (x) is not happening, you’re wrong/bad for suggesting it is.

- Maybe (x) is happening, but why do you care? It’s wrong/bad of you to even mention it.

- (x) is happening and it’s a good thing. Anyone who questions it is bad and must support (random bad thing) and therefore shouldn’t be listened to cause they are (random bad thing).

Someone pointed this dynamic out to me. It’s helped me understand a lot of the events of the last 10 years in our global culture.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:09 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

It's better when you learn that group is bankrolled by one of the Getty oil heirs...can't make this stuff up. 

......loses ability to enter mus:facepalm:eums in future. I personally have no problem with the card below. I'm not calling for any bans. It does beg the question why Earthbind? WotC (Hasbro) making decisions that appear agenda driven. I still haven't heard a defensible argument for removing Earthbind. I don't want to keep this thread going if you've made up your mind. Earthbind is beautiful art. It should have been included with the 30th Anniversary Edition Set ( which apparently is a 100% fail in the eyes of the consumer but you can find that info on your own.

STAND UP FOR ART. Giving in becomes easy. Grapeape's opinion. 

Thank you to every single contributor on this thread, I don't want to be right, I just want to make sure we get it right as free human beings.

image.jpeg

Edited by grapeape