• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

signature or not?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I'm assuming most people would prefer a blue label? But I'm sure there are those who would prefer green. I'm also certain that if I asked how CGC determines which color to use, I'd get the usual reply ... "It's at the grader's discretion."  Wouldn't it be better, though, if there were a procedure that was the same for every grader?

On 10/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, ccbheeschen said:

Here is a picture of the signature and grade. Please let me know what you think?

I think someone like me is going to get a Todd signature at a discount when you sell this book. Hopefully you didn't get it pressed. 

I can offer an update on my experience, referenced above. 

I submitted the books to cgc. They had interior signatures and I specifically stated that I wanted a blue label and to notate that they had a signature on page X. 

They actually neglected to give the designation, which was a problem since I submitted 4 copies of the same book (DC Presents #26, signed by George Perez back in 1983 - as an aside, he was tremendously kind to my younger self and even sold me a Teen Titans page for $5) but only 2 of them were signed. Furthermore, I think there was some minor damage in handling so the grades were 9.2, 9.2, 9.6, and 9.6 (they had some dents and dings that were not there, as they were sent by one of the top pressers around)

Here is the key thing I did: I COMMUNICATED WITH CGC. The customer service was excellent - they had me mail back the books, pressed them again and I got the lot back - 3 9.8s (which included the 2 signed copies) and a 9.2 (that looks like a 9.8 but there is a minor tear on the back cover - which I suspect but can't prove was induced in handling, but I can't complain too much). They are all blue labels, with the 2 signed books saying 'George Perez written on page XX' or something like that (i don't have them in front of me).

so, my bottom line recommendation is to communicate with CGC - ask them to go over the notes. If you feel like the grade is wrong, ask to send it back - particularly if there are any dings that you are certain were not there because it was pressed, etc. 

(I also sent back a GI Joe that originally scored a 9.0 and got a bump to 9.4)

BTW, if someone wants to buy a DC Presents 26 9.8 with or without an unwitnessed signature lmk ;-) (I have a pic of the signatures)

Hope this helps!

On 10/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, Techmate said:

I hope George Perez is in quotes ("George Perez"). The correct way to label any unwitnessed books should be "Name written on cover/page", which it usually is. They should not be guessing as to what they think the sig might be (tsk)

I'll have to check on it. Your point is a good one, IMO.

I am not sure how much the signature hit on the grade

Here are the grader's notes

dents front cover
creasing to cover
moderate finger bends on cover
spine stress lines to cover

the creasing to cover will be a major hit and with the dents to the cover  I could see it being a 7.0 no matter the sig or not

Edited by Ed Hanes

I can vouch that while they will not verify a signature without a witness that they will sorta concede that a signature is real. 

I just got my ASM 1 back, with a Stan signature. I asked that they write "Stan Lee" instead of "Name" and Matt basically said that (Stan) tends to write his name clearly, so they would do that. 

On 11/1/2022 at 7:06 PM, Mrs. Tux said:

As long as the name is in quotes ("Name") I can live with it. It should just say "name" no matter how clear the sig is.

Unless or until CGC gets someone to authenticate Signatures like CBCS has already done.  I raised an additional point with their customer service that they agreed with: Who would put a phony signature on a 10 thousand dollar book?

Doesn't prove a thing, but it goes to the reality that CGC assumes that these signatures are probably real, just, like a good referee, they aren't going to make a call on a play they didn't see. 

Edited by DoctorWyoming1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, Mrs. Tux said:

They'll never do that, it would ruin the integrity of the Signature Series.

There is a simple solution: Verified signatures would just get a blue label with the note "Verified signature."

The Signature series would remain the Benchmark signature, as it was witnessed, not just verified. 

I hope CGC considers this. It would also reduce the value of a CBCS slab if CGC offered the same services. 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:27 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

There is a simple solution: Verified signatures would just get a blue label with the note "Verified signature."

The Signature series would remain the Benchmark signature, as it was witnessed, not just verified. 

I hope CGC considers this. It would also reduce the value of a CBCS slab if CGC offered the same services. 

I can appreciate the solution, but CGC has brought a certain level of authenticity to the hobby by only allowing for witnessed signatures.  

I would hope they wouldn't come off this position. Even if they do make a distinction between witnessed signatures and authenticated signatures. 

Agree with this. I feel 100% confident when I submit sig series books or purchase sig series books. CBCS, there's always a bit of doubt in the back of my mind. I do like CBCS as an option for books that I had signed back in the days before CGC and will get around to it one of these days.