• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

signature or not?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, DINGER033 said:

I have a Spider-Man #1 Platinum edition CGC 9.4 > Do I send it in to have him sign and get it pressed and hope for the best??

No one knows your comic, your goals, and your finances better than you.

this is like you asking us if you should get strawberry ice cream  after lunch. If you want to and can afford it, then do it. If you don’t want to or can’t afford it, then don’t.

if you have more specific concerns or specific criteria that you can share that would help others help you decide, maybe post that.

nobody knows if you’re allergic to strawberries or you’re a strawberry farmer who eats strawberries at every meal or if you’re in jail and have to trade favors for strawberry ice cream.  

On 11/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, amatta said:

I checked on the dc presents 9.8 - the label says “George Perez written on page…”

662F2D66-00A2-4F31-81EE-51C397A68810.jpeg

I don't do sigs, I'm just curious...

When dealing with unwitnessed sigs, CGC will downgrade if it's on the cover, but not if it's on the interior. Is this correct?

On 11/7/2022 at 7:36 AM, Gaard said:

When dealing with unwitnessed sigs, CGC will downgrade if it's on the cover, but not if it's on the interior. Is this correct?

If it’s neatly done and non too big or obtrusive, generally yes

On 11/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, Gaard said:

The Qualified label is often used for large cover signatures on high grade books...

On 11/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Who would put a phony signature on a 10 thousand dollar book?

The forger that wanted it to be a $10k book.  Does the signature bring it up to $10k?  What is the value without it?

There are some that would destroy a book if it meant $$$.

CGC seems to be all over the place these days… whether they went with Qualified or Universal is a moot point when they acknowledged the name that was written on the cover… shouldn’t it just have been ‘name’ written on cover??

Lets say I write ANY artist’s name on the cover and that it looks nothing like how they actually sign… will they still identify the person whose name I wrote by their name?  By the standard they set with these books it seems like they should.  If not, by noting ‘Todd McFarlane’ written on cover this way they are in a round about way saying it looks like and probably is his signature!  If they refuse to also acknowledge my bogus signature, It pretty much IS a verified signature done this way.

Meanwhile, they think we now need a newsstand edition note on a label when we can clearly see it’s a newsstand.

Seems like decisions are made more to drive the market than from a ‘most trusted’ third party grader perspective these days.

Edited by Iconic1s

On 11/7/2022 at 1:31 PM, Yorick said:

The forger that wanted it to be a $10k book.  Does the signature bring it up to $10k?  What is the value without it?

There are some that would destroy a book if it meant $$$.

It was already a 10K book. I see you missed what was written.

An ASM 1, restored with a grade, around 5.5-8.0 is already worth 10 grand or more without the signature. The Stan Lee signature only adds a small addition to the value. So you're risking something worth 10k in the hopes of making what? Another 500 to 1000? Just flat out stupid even for the stupidest con artist. Then you have to add in the talent required for a good fake of a signature... there's just no sense to it.

Now, if the book had little to no value without the signature, sure, then watch out. 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, Iconic1s said:

CGC seems to be all over the place these days… whether they went with Qualified or Universal is a moot point when they acknowledged the name that was written on the cover… shouldn’t it just have been ‘name’ written on cover??

Lets say I write ANY artist’s name on the cover and that it looks nothing like how they actually sign… will they still identify the person whose name I wrote by their name?  By the standard they set with these books it seems like they should.  If not, by noting ‘Todd McFarlane’ written on cover this way they are in a round about way saying it looks like and probably is his signature!  If they refuse to also acknowledge my bogus signature, It pretty much IS a verified signature done this way.

Meanwhile, they think we now need a newsstand edition note on a label when we can clearly see it’s a newsstand.

Seems like decisions are made more to drive the market than from a ‘most trusted’ third party grader perspective these days.

Have a heart. Someone cross submits a ASM 1 with a verified Stan Lee sig (by PGX) with them and they put "says stan lee" on it doesn't even rise to fair. It's a pittance.

That said, my book in their case still improves things. 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:52 AM, Iconic1s said:

CGC seems to be all over the place

CGC should use the McFarlane signing to set the bar… this should set a precedent. You can use a COA somewhere else. 

if the book has previous signature and is submitted to the same artist for signature, what will happen? Also if at a convention a book is submitted to be graded and you have signatures already on books from an artist at the convention is it possible to slip through the system?

all over the place is loose way of saying they need to tighten an already tight system. Nothing is foolproof, things require adjusting after a while. Just takes a while to see cracks.

CGC should use McFarlane to adjust going forward, it’s not his first and won’t be his last signing. The opportunity is there to evaluate where they are at and determine in the future if the processes are working.