• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Grader Notes on a 4.0?

4 posts in this topic

I was looking at a comic that I'm interested in purchasing. It's slabbed at 4.0, so I ran the number to see what the deal was, and while the number checked out, there were zero grader notes available. Apparently the book was graded back in 2009. Is this a common thing? It seems really odd for a book with such a low grade to have no notes detailing its issues. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Graders notes were internal communication between two graders. If the first grader noticed something he wanted to point out to the second grader, he noted it. 

It was never intended to be a comprehensive list of defects or an explanation of the grade.

They've gotten much more detailed as the years have gone on, but in the early days you often didn't see any notes even on low grade books.