• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading inconsistencies...
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Cap 7.0, Hulk 162 7.0, Hulk 156 6.5

According to grading notes : Cap is a 8.5-8.0, Hulk 162 is a 7.5 (maybe 8.0) and Hulk 156 is a 8.5-8.0
None of my books note a major defect (all moderate), so 7.0 and 6.5 should not even be in play, according to grading chart. I know they have the accumulation of small to CTA on all grades. And I would be willing to even be reasonable and say I could see how the 162 got a 7.0 since it has a moderate and 2 light.

Not to mention a Batman 423 Newsstand that has 3 spine tics, that got a 9.0

Why is consistency lacking? I know there are a bunch of new graders and maybe they are being tough trying to prove themselves, but there should be some checks and balances. Does QA look at notes to make sure that notes match the grade? Are there people watching/working with the new graders?

Is there an appeal process for things that I have shown? Would (should) I have to pay, since I actually have tangible proof (grader notes and CGC grade scale) of my claims?

image 1.JPG

image 2.JPG

image 3.JPG

image 4.JPG

Edited by Bobby Newb

On 10/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, Bobby Newb said:

None of my books note a major defect (all moderate), so 7.0 and 6.5 should not even be in play, according to grading chart.

Actual CGC condition grading is not done on the basis of the incredibly simplified chart you cite above.  If you hang around long enough -- perhaps participate in a few PGM threads and/or CGC Grading Contests -- you'll eventually pick up the subtleties of CGC grading.  You might even consider launching a few of your own PGM threads.  Just remember that the quality of the grade estimates you receive will be directly proportional to the quality and thoroughness of the data (description and images) you provide.  Good luck!  :foryou:

Foxing is a stain, which hits books HARD depending on the severity. Foxing isn't as outright bad as a full on liquid stain, but due to it discolouring the paper you cannot expect all instances of it to be considered a minor defect. None of those grades look out of line for those grader notes.

Edited by Sauce Dog

There isn't a direct correlation between graders notes and the grade. Meaning, they won't necessarily capture everything going on with a comic. 

You can post clear pictures of the books here for people's opinion, but I agree with @Sauce Dog foxing can seriously impact a grade. 

The grader's notes do not tell the whole story. 

Would it be nice if CGC noted EVERY single detail on their notes? Yes.

Would that take a VERY long time to do for EVERY comic, resulting in us probably waiting decades for our comics to return? Also yes

Grading is more than what you posted, for those grades. And the notes are just the main things noted. I am sure that, had you taken pictures of these books BEFORE sending them in and posted them here on the forums in the "Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade?" section, you would find a lot of rather experienced community members giving you grade ranges that were close, if not exact, to what CGC gave you. Reason being, a large percentage of members on here can accurately match (or come within a half a grade) of what CGC will grade a book. It all comes with years of dealing with CGC, looking at graded books, exploring the nuances of certain grades...personally, I am 23 years or so into the hobby and I still am learning about grading (and I started back at 10, buying grading guides and such)

I find it interesting that all three books have foxing. In my experience, that usually indicates that at some point the books weren't stored properly, which could in and of itself keep them out of the VF range or higher. You could try to get a regrade, but I doubt the outcome would be much different. Whatever you end up doing, good luck...  

Unfortunately I only have cover pics, and these were pre P&C. I know there are so many things that can happen in the pages, back cover and during P&C. 

I’ll have to look when they get back, just don’t remember seeing any staining/foxing. I appreciate all of the input, especially with me providing so little info. Thank you all so much for your time. @The Lions Den  @KCOComics @comicginger1789 @Sauce Dog @zzutak

Edited by Bobby Newb

On 10/19/2022 at 5:57 PM, Bobby Newb said:

Unfortunately I only have cover pics, and these were pre P&C. I know there are so many things that can happen in the pages, back cover and during P&C. 

I’ll have to look when they get back, just don’t remember seeing any staining/foxing. I appreciate all of the input, especially with me providing so little info. Thank you all so much for your time. @The Lions Den  @KCOComics @comicginger1789 @Sauce Dog @zzutak

To share my cautionary tale, I have a beautiful Hulk 2, that I thought was a 4.5 with an outside chance at a 5.5. Unfortunately, it came back as a 3.5 because of foxing on the BC. 

It was my first lesson with foxing and what to look for. I'll post pictures when I get home. 

Can you imagine the TAT for appeals of CGC grades? :D

"We have received your appeal of grading submission xxxxxxx. Your appeal has been scheduled for August 31, 2035" 

The reason neither CGC nor Voldy release grades until the books are shipped is so they don't have hundreds of phone calls every day demanding/pleading that someone look again as those grades are way too low

Edited by Tony S

On 10/20/2022 at 2:53 AM, Tony S said:

"We have received your appeal of grading submission xxxxxxx. Your appeal has been scheduled for August 31, 2035" 

The reason neither CGC nor Voldy release grades until the books are shipped is so they don't have hundreds of phone calls every day demanding/pleading that someone look again as those grades are way too low

I have a comic I thought was a 9.0 and it came back as a 9.0 but somehow in between, the cover seemed to have been detached. My opinion, it may be sitting in a 9.0 slab but it is a 5.0 now. I wanted to send it back but what is CGC going to do? Repair it? On top of that, how long would it take to get an answer of any kind? Too long. So I figure, I'm stuck with it. The good news that I only have 2 problems like that out of 100 submissions. The point is that the time it takes to get through the grading process is an effective deterrent against complaints.

Edited by paqart

On 10/20/2022 at 2:53 AM, Tony S said:

It used to be so common it was hard to get any grading done...  

On 10/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

So pleased to hear someone say how nicely lower grade books can present. It's not all about 9 this and 9 that. Refreshing! 

Check out this low grade. The problem? You guess it...stain! A stain on the back cover and minor foxing on the front cover (those tiny dots/blurs in the white squares on the door).

albedo-2.thumb.jpg.2c53462358f0a60c190bf08d1bed4e6e.jpg

Here's another one I sold awhile back to another boardie. Amazing eye appeal and looked better than other copies graded at 7.0-8.0 - perfect corners & edges, perfect inks, no crease or ticks...the problem: small stains by each staple due to rust (staples could be replaced for conservation but the stain damage was already done to the cover wrap)

STAINS HIT THE GRADE LIKE A WRECKING BALL.

instagram-SALE-chamberchills-1.thumb.jpg.ba7703bf3430a49621c8143f4121c9af.jpg.ae568cb654f59d2a7f23370820bc8ef8.jpg

On 10/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Here's another one I sold awhile back to another boardie. Amazing eye appeal and looked better than other copies graded at 7.0-8.0 - perfect corners & edges, perfect inks, no crease or ticks...the problem: small stains by each staple due to rust (staples could be replaced for conservation but the stain damage was already done to the cover wrap)

STAINS HIT THE GRADE LIKE A WRECKING BALL.

instagram-SALE-chamberchills-1.thumb.jpg.ba7703bf3430a49621c8143f4121c9af.jpg.ae568cb654f59d2a7f23370820bc8ef8.jpg

That is a sweet sweet book