• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicmylars vs the late, great John Verzyl
5 5

82 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Charlie Shieh aka comicmylars, notoriously overprices his books ( most are flips from past purchases )

He doesn't need money nor is he in a rush to sell anything, that's why some of his inventory sits on ebay for years. He also often shows a dipsh1t attitude towards potential buyers, as was the case with the OP yet again.

Either pay his (often ridiculous) price or better yet search for another copy somewhere else...

That is some Donnally Bros level BS by comicmylars. Seems as if they are only in it for them Mind Games, best to avoid their ilk

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/18/2022 at 9:37 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m not a comic dealer, but this post is coming from a place of such negativity towards boardies I’m not surprised no one’s replying. Sorry man, but not sure why you’re going on a tirade against the dealer community here lol. I mean unfortunate situation for sure, and that seller is certainly notorious for overpricing imop. But I mean move on and forget the book I’d say, don’t know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️. I mean just don’t try to buy from Comicmylars again 👌.

Point well taken:  You're absolutely right.

On 10/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, MikeRN said:

I had been watching Comicmylars' ALL STAR COMICS #7 CGC 4.0 for over a year( at $2895) and even pointed out how the item description was incorrect just before I tried to buy it:  Comicmylars rejected offers of $2600 and $2700, and said he would only take $2795.  Days later I politely offered $2795 via an email, but he instead raised the price to $3195, and said he had another offer higher than mine-yet the book still sits there.  Once Comicmylars knew he had some interest on this book he tried to TAKE ADVANTAGE and PRICE GOUGE me.  Before you fellow, stereotypical comic dealers chime in, realize that a 3.5% price reduction on a 'Make an Offer' is $3.50 off a $100; so going $2700 out of $2895 is only 7%.  I've been to conventions and met your ilk:  You're not in it for the love of comics, you're in it for the money & power you think you hold; and I've even heard the boastful stories some of them have told about buying rare comics for pennies on the dollar-and then they have the audacity to act as if they're entitled to multiples over price guide values.  Now the late, great John Verzyl was a man who understood comic book lovers, wasn't a 'cut throat' businessman, and would make a reasonable deal-and still make a profit.  I miss seeing Mr. Verzyl at conventions, and his Comic Book Heaven Auctions:  For those who love comic books, research him.  

Best to move on Mike.  Do you really want to support a dealer like comicmylars after the stuff he's pulled on you?  He is clearly in it only for the money but in the end he can price a book he owns at any price he wants.  He can turn down offers below his ask and he can raise the price if he wants.

Another copy will come along.  You could start a want to buy thread here that might dig one up.  Sooner or later Heritage, mycomicshop, comicconnect or comiclink will get a copy.  

On 10/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, MikeRN said:

I had been watching Comicmylars' ALL STAR COMICS #7 CGC 4.0 for over a year( at $2895) and even pointed out how the item description was incorrect just before I tried to buy it:  Comicmylars rejected offers of $2600 and $2700, and said he would only take $2795.  Days later I politely offered $2795 via an email, but he instead raised the price to $3195, and said he had another offer higher than mine-yet the book still sits there.  Once Comicmylars knew he had some interest on this book he tried to TAKE ADVANTAGE and PRICE GOUGE me.  Before you fellow, stereotypical comic dealers chime in, realize that a 3.5% price reduction on a 'Make an Offer' is $3.50 off a $100; so going $2700 out of $2895 is only 7%.  I've been to conventions and met your ilk:  You're not in it for the love of comics, you're in it for the money & power you think you hold; and I've even heard the boastful stories some of them have told about buying rare comics for pennies on the dollar-and then they have the audacity to act as if they're entitled to multiples over price guide values.  Now the late, great John Verzyl was a man who understood comic book lovers, wasn't a 'cut throat' businessman, and would make a reasonable deal-and still make a profit.  I miss seeing Mr. Verzyl at conventions, and his Comic Book Heaven Auctions:  For those who love comic books, research him.  

Take any book you can name: for every copy in the census, there are probably at least ten comparable raw copies out there. There's no reason to pay an absurd asking price for anything. Why on earth would you agree to pay $2,795 for that book? Consider yourself fortunate that he turned you down. (I've caved and payed absurd asking prices for books before, so I get it, but I'm pretty sure you would have had buyer's remorse.)

On 10/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, tth2 said:

I go into any transaction with a dealer assuming they're a total sleazebag, because most are.  But one thing I won't tolerate is them moving the goalposts on a deal.

Robert Roter tried to do that to me years ago, so I've never dealt with him since then.

I’m sorry you feel every dealer is a sleazebag from the start. That’s a depressing place to be coming from lol.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, tth2 said:

I go into any transaction with a dealer assuming they're a total sleazebag, because most are.  But one thing I won't tolerate is them moving the goalposts on a deal.

While I do not agree with your first sentence, I will say Truly Honest folks do not become Comic Book, Comic Book Original Art or Trading Card dealers.  Still not honoring a deal or their word represents the true worst of the worst and the mark of true 4th letter of the alphabet-bag

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, tth2 said:

Robert Roter tried to do that to me years ago, so I've never dealt with him since then.

Wow,  Not sure what to say on this post.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, tth2 said:

That is a very harsh and generalized theory. True in some cases but most are just trying to make a buck in a very tough and competitive hobby. There are MANY honest dealers. Or, they aren’t around long. Many of them I don’t deal with much for a number of reasons. Maybe they don’t deal in what I want. Maybe I feel their prices are higher than what I want to pay. Probably other personal reasons as well.

I am a seasoned hobbyist. I know I can always move on and spend my money elsewhere. It’s up to me.

Are all dealers “skumbags”? Hell no. I have dealt with a lot of “skumbag” buyers from the back of the table as well. Most are reasonable or downright pleasant.

Ask your self. Where would your collection be without dealers? 

It would help this conversation a lot to recognize that Charlie Shieh is not a professional dealer.  I could not agree more with @Gotham Kid in his description of how Charlie operates ... suffice it to say he does not behave like someone who is trying to build relationships and cultivate a customer base of repeat buyers.  He couldn't care less what you think of him or his prices, his entire model is predicated on the notion that eventually, someone will be desperate enough to pay his price.

I buy an absolutely stupid number of comics each year, but I no longer buy books from him.  There are a handful of other sellers (again, not dealers!) that I consider last-resort options but will still do business with.  As for Charlie, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction and I wouldn't suggest anyone else do it either.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, D84 said:

I'm suspicious of your motives when you walk around talking to yourself.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, Robot Man said:

That is a very harsh and generalized theory. True in some cases but most are just trying to make a buck in a very tough and competitive hobby. There are MANY honest dealers. Or, they aren’t around long. Many of them I don’t deal with much for a number of reasons. Maybe they don’t deal in what I want. Maybe I feel their prices are higher than what I want to pay. Probably other personal reasons as well.

I am a seasoned hobbyist. I know I can always move on and spend my money elsewhere. It’s up to me.

Are all dealers “skumbags”? Hell no. I have dealt with a lot of “skumbag” buyers from the back of the table as well. Most are reasonable or downright pleasant.

Ask your self. Where would your collection be without dealers? 

On 10/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, blazingbob said:

Wow,  Not sure what to say on this post.

So now if we can get back to the positive concerning this thread. 
The late great sweetheart that exemplified comic cuddlieness…

I never had a bad experience with John. Always pleasant and it was either yay or nay on transactions. 

B49496AE-22A5-42BE-9CD6-4D87512D3A00.jpeg

B9446C83-DB4E-4BA4-B7C3-88CCA23F4E3B.jpeg

Edited by Cobbledclam
Typo