• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicmylars vs the late, great John Verzyl
5 5

82 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, Dr. Love said:

I get where Tim the collector is coming from.  If I'm dealing with "it's a VG if I'm buying it, a NM if I'm selling it" approach, then I'm a mark, and it's what I'd call adversarial.  It wasn't enough that those guys made money on the bid/ask spread.  They had to add percentages of return by weaseling in the condition spread.  Just business you say?  Sure, for comics, used cars, and the diamond district in NYC. 

(thumbsu

And that's without even getting into outright misrepresentation and fraud as dealers tried to pass off restored books as unrestored.

Then there's selling a book to some typically undercapitalized dealer who tries to convince you to send it to him before he pays, and then it becomes clear he has cash flow problems and probably needs to flip it before he'll even have the money to pay you.  Who then throws a fit when you refuse to do that, insisting he can be trusted and insulting you for questioning his trustworthiness.  And then when he finally accepts that you need the cash in hand before you'll ship the book, comes up with some cockamamie proposal on some convoluted payment scheme that basically comes down to the fact that the guy is juggling a bunch of deals and needs them all to happen to be able to pay you.  At least a used car dealer will pay you on the spot once you have a deal.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, Dr. Love said:

And still would be if the playing field wasn't completely leveled by Ebay in terms of market control and CGC in terms of objective grading.

You'd think, right? 

And yet, I've had dealers try to talk down slabbed books, pointing out various reasons why CGC overgraded the book.  

On 10/22/2022 at 3:24 AM, MusterMark said:
On 10/22/2022 at 1:30 AM, Bookery said:
On 10/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, tth2 said:

It comes with the territory in any business that is fundamentally adverserial, which comic dealing most definitely is. 

Why?  If you go in with an adversarial attitude, then yes, it's probably going to be difficult to make a deal.

I have never thought of dealers, or of getting comics from them, as adversarial in any way, shape or form.

And when dealers come across customers like this, they think to themselves "Touchdown!"

On 10/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, Bookery said:

Goods (such as collectibles) have at least the potential to increase in value, or at least keep up with inflation.  Cash never increases in value... it can only be worth less over time because inflation is a one-way street.  Money is everywhere.  Trillions and trillions of dollars of it.  There are not trillions of comics.

There was a time when a gold-backed dollar could actually increase in value during times of deflation.

The Federal Reserve, thank goodness, has saved us from that nightmare world.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:50 PM, tth2 said:

(thumbsu

And that's without even getting into outright misrepresentation and fraud as dealers tried to pass off restored books as unrestored.

Then there's selling a book to some typically undercapitalized dealer who tries to convince you to send it to him before he pays, and then it becomes clear he has cash flow problems and probably needs to flip it before he'll even have the money to pay you.  Who then throws a fit when you refuse to do that, insisting he can be trusted and insulting you for questioning his trustworthiness.  And then when he finally accepts that you need the cash in hand before you'll ship the book, comes up with some cockamamie proposal on some convoluted payment scheme that basically comes down to the fact that the guy is juggling a bunch of deals and needs them all to happen to be able to pay you.  At least a used car dealer will pay you on the spot once you have a deal.

You'd think, right? 

And yet, I've had dealers try to talk down slabbed books, pointing out various reasons why CGC overgraded the book.  

To your first point I’d say if you know anyone who regularly misrepresents books you’re just asking for trouble to do business with them regardless of what their inventory looks like. Why play Russian roulette?

To your second point if someone is dumb enough to go that far to get “convinced “ to allow themselves into that situation it’s hard to be sympathetic. Because I’m assuming it’s a big enough book to begin with that I’m not just “shipping it off” unless it’s to someone like Heritage or others that I know for 100% has the dollars to pay. If you’re talking about something else and I misread your point then please expand on it.

Your third point I’ve never had happen personally but I’d say if it did I’m pretty comfortable telling that dealer why I feel the error of his ways if his critique of the said book was unwarranted.

Look I’ve been on both sides of the business as a fan/collector and a dealer. My perspective is always that everything is a business transaction and needs to be treated as every other business transaction in my life. If I like the food at Bedrocks place I’ll keep eating there. If the foods bad at another I won’t go back.  It’s like any other business. I never viewed the business of collecting as really cut throat per se but it is a hobby with high dollar numbers at times and emotions get involved because of the product so you have to at some point be firm in your business dealings and yes be aware of potential problems so kick the tires a few times before you buy…

On 10/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, MikeRN said:

I had been watching Comicmylars' ALL STAR COMICS #7 CGC 4.0 for over a year( at $2895) and even pointed out how the item description was incorrect just before I tried to buy it:  Comicmylars rejected offers of $2600 and $2700, and said he would only take $2795.  Days later I politely offered $2795 via an email, but he instead raised the price to $3195, and said he had another offer higher than mine-yet the book still sits there.  Once Comicmylars knew he had some interest on this book he tried to TAKE ADVANTAGE and PRICE GOUGE me.  Before you fellow, stereotypical comic dealers chime in, realize that a 3.5% price reduction on a 'Make an Offer' is $3.50 off a $100; so going $2700 out of $2895 is only 7%.  I've been to conventions and met your ilk:  You're not in it for the love of comics, you're in it for the money & power you think you hold; and I've even heard the boastful stories some of them have told about buying rare comics for pennies on the dollar-and then they have the audacity to act as if they're entitled to multiples over price guide values.  Now the late, great John Verzyl was a man who understood comic book lovers, wasn't a 'cut throat' businessman, and would make a reasonable deal-and still make a profit.  I miss seeing Mr. Verzyl at conventions, and his Comic Book Heaven Auctions:  For those who love comic books, research him.  

I don't think I know Comic Mylars other than admiring some of the things I see posted on eBay...but I just looked to see if I had an All Star 7 in my collection and much to my surprise, the value I put on it was higher than I expected (I list approximate values in case I need it for insurance.. There was a sale of a 2.5 this year for $2k and I must have changed what I had before.

Perhaps that was what made him change his price? Sometimes a duck is just a duck...and I know quite a few nice, honest comic book dealers who I would trust without blinking an eye. I've even instructed my family to contact one who is a personal friend if G-d forbid I get hit by a truck.

This conversation can easily branch out to the psychology of collecting.  Therein lies a spectrum of behaviors and motivations, some of which can be troubling in their consequences.  

Because of their specific psyches, collectors can be exploited in ways that go beyond Marketing/Sales 101.  That's why the business of collectibles is not just another capitalistic enterprise.

And romance is the most undervalued genre.  If you don't have any, not only are you missing out, but your collection stinks.  Contact me for more information!

Wow:  Well said!  Born in 1968:  Growing up, comics were all we had!  I attribute great comics for building my imagination & creating an escape from the hardships of life.  If you're saying I have a romance with comics, you're right.  As I proceed through the 'Fall' of my life, the nostalgic love for great, old comics(their smell, look.. the hunt for one you always wanted) makes me feel alive and young; and that romance will surely continue into the 'Winter' of my life.  This may seem silly and corny to some, but for those of you who love vintage comics, I think you can relate.  When I see a comic like FF#4 or ASC#7, I feel good-so call me a romantic.  If you're simply implying I should buy some GA romance comics, that's not my 'cup of tea'.  

Edited by MikeRN

On 10/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, Dr. Love said:

This conversation can easily branch out to the psychology of collecting.  Therein lies a spectrum of behaviors and motivations, some of which can be troubling in their consequences.  

Because of their specific psyches, collectors can be exploited in ways that go beyond Marketing/Sales 101.  That's why the business of collectibles is not just another capitalistic enterprise.

And romance is the most undervalued genre.  If you don't have any, not only are you missing out, but your collection stinks.  Contact me for more information!

Well you are the doctor after all…:nyah:

On 10/22/2022 at 3:41 AM, MusterMark said:

Hahaha, that is a far, far cry from reality.

Here's a hint: if a dealer asks you how much you want for a book before he'll make you an offer, walk away. That dealer is a sleazeball. Any honest dealer knows way more about the current value of comics than most collectors. An honest dealer can make you a fair offer without needing an asking price from you. Any dealer who insists that you state a dollar amount first is a complete scumbag who is looking for an easy mark to fleece.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, MikeRN said:

If you're simply implying I should buy some GA romance comics, that's not my 'cup of tea'.  

You're not a cover collector, are you?  Because most cover collectors have picked up certain romance books over the years due to the amazing covers.  You're still young though, so there's still time to see the light...:preach:

You sound like an honest dealer.  I edited my original post after some long thoughts; and I do understand there is more than one point of view:  In this case, specifically, buyer and seller.  Moreover, I get how a seller has to contend with eBay's 13% fee, among the myriad of other issues involved with running a business-as you pointed out in your post:  I'm sure it's very involved.  So if I offended, it was unintentional , and I apologize.  However, I felt I made fair offers, and raising the price $500 after showing interest, and after coming back willing to pay what he wanted days earlier, was very frustrating.  In addition, the higher the price the more tax added on to the final sale price.  I was just looking to get the book for a fair price.