• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me Find A Comic For Dad!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So growing up my dad had a handful of comics and being the youngest of six, when he got them they were always tattered and the covers ripped off. I helped him. Track down a Mighty Marvel Western he recalled and well today he remembered this….it might be more Bronze Age (as the last one I helped him track down was from the early 70s) but I figured I would start here. This was his synopsis of what he recalls 

About 1965 to 1975
Comic had about 3 stories in it.
In one a robot was delivered down into a mine. The tough lead miner thought it was going to replace the men and ripped wires out of it and slammed it into a support causing a cave in. Trapped & using the emergency phone he  learned it was a rescue robot and unless he could repair it he would run out of air before they could save him. At this point it was "to be continued ".
Looking for what comic & possibly to find what happened. 
The robot was sort of humanoid with caterpillar tracks for feet with a big spike or chisel sticking straight out from the chest. I don't think it was on the cover.

Im going to embark on a hunt in an hour or so but figured until then maybe some super sleuths out there could beat me to it :)

It's not Where Monsters Dwell. I've just spent 30mins reading the synopsis of each issue on mycomicshop website. (Found one or two I used to own and now want again though!)

Good luck with your dad's comic. I love this sort of quest.

Edited by LowGradeBronze
Spelling error corrected

On 11/13/2022 at 9:22 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Check out the similarities between the robot and what dad drew…his memory has not failed him!

That's brilliant! :bigsmile:

On 11/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, comicginger1789 said:

We found it!

Was originally a story presented in tales of suspense 18 that was reprinted exactly in Monsters On The Prowl 20.

However I showed these to my dad and he was adamant that the robot was not the same at all…and even sent me this sketch he drew!

So a footnote online eventually lead to Tower of Shadows 2, which had update art for the same story. Check out the similarities between the robot and what dad drew…his memory has not failed him!

5616D7F1-26C5-498C-B2FB-E1BCB7EEC4C8.jpeg

C850EE2B-92E0-45FA-B22B-F116449AD3B2.jpeg

Looks a little bit like an early version of Ultron.

See the source image

On 11/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Hey, that's great. Glad you got to the bottom of this mystery. Tell your dad he should start drawing his own comics!

Haha he is retired….I should get him drawing. He used to make treasure hunts for me and friends with elaborate sketches as clues to where the next clue was hidden. Good times.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:45 AM, flynavy807 said:

You have a cool Dad. Treasure him.

Always :x

If not for him, I would not have the hobby I do today. For whatever reason back in the 90s, he brought my brother and I to a comic shop while on a family vacation. And he took us to the very back where allll the old long boxes of 60s and 70s stuff were and well that was how 8 year old me started.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yup! Going to grab him a copy for his birthday

There are high grade copies available at reasonable prices. Just a quick look at ComicLink, ComicConnect and Worldwide Comics yielded some nice copies, graded and ungraded not to mention several on ebay. Best wishes finding one that fits what you are looking for.

Edited by Jaylam