• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Certified-cracked case
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I have a Hulk 181 that has a small crack, right at the grading mark.  I wanted people's opinion on whether to sell here as is, or to submit back to CGC for a new case, and $50 charge, and the long return wait.  I'm seeing between a 5-10% reduction in value due to a crack. Would that be an accurate estimate? Also, would there any interest in it as is?  

IMG_20221019_145340.jpg

You can try selling it at whatever price, if it doesn’t sell then re holder it

I don't think the cracked slab reduces value by 5%  -10%, unless of course there are signs that the comic was damaged. 

As for if you should reholder it's all about the value to you? 

If it selling it soon,  it may be worth it. If you hate looking at your grail and seeing a cracked case,  do it.... but if your keeping it long term and are kind of indifferent, I wouldn't be in a rush to reholder. 

On 10/19/2022 at 12:00 PM, Damiemur said:

I'm seeing between a 5-10% reduction in value due to a crack.

For the sake of absolutely trivial "in-your-head" math, let's say your book has a value of $5k (as is).  $50 is 1% of $5k (and $100 is 2% of 5k).  Is 1~2% greater than or less than 5~10%?  hm

On 10/19/2022 at 12:00 PM, Damiemur said:

Also, would there any interest in it as is?

Any (and I do mean any) Hulk #181 will sell at the right price.  Universal, qualified, restored, raw, complete, coverless, incomplete, heavily creased, soiled, stained, torn, whatever.  If you regard number of CGC-certified copies as a measure of collector interest/demand, Hulk #181 is one of the top ten most desirable Marvels.  Price it favorably and the bidders/buyers will come.  :preach:

On 10/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

I would get it reslabbed. Turnaround times are about 3 weeks for fast track. 3 weeks for more $ seems worth it to me.

But as a collector, do people care about the missing MVS? Is it a necessity or just a nice-to-have?

For me personally anything missing is deal breaker. Would take a Blue Label 4.0 over a qualified 8.0 any day.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2022 at 12:37 PM, MAR1979 said:

Would take a Blue Label 4.0 over a qualified 8.0 any day.

And I'm absolutely certain many other collectors feel the same way.  That being said, an IH #181 in Qualified 8.0 does have one dramatic selling point relative to a Universal 4.0.  Anyone want to take a guess?  :whistle:  Y'all have 5 minutes, so get on this PDQ.  :taptaptap:

On 10/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, zzutak said:

And I'm absolutely certain many other collectors feel the same way.  That being said, an IH #181 in Qualified 8.0 does have one dramatic selling point relative to a Universal 4.0.  Anyone want to take a guess?  :whistle:  Y'all have 5 minutes, so get on this PDQ.  :taptaptap:

I'd guess visual appeal. (shrug)

On 10/24/2022 at 4:53 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

There are 128K copies of blue label, gem mint 181's?

CGC registry point chart , not pop census :)

The amount of points one gets for qualified is nothing more than incentive to send in book that normally might not be. Of course the primary purpose of the registry is to create revenue via submissions in the first place.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

CGC registry point chart , not pop census :)

The amount of points one gets for qualified is nothing more than incentive to send in book that normally might not be. Of course the primary purpose of the registry is to create revenue via submissions in the first place.

Oops. LOL...thank you for clarifying.