• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone watching Dueling Dealers tonight?
4 4

91 posts in this topic

Bill has mentioned that DD and various shows conflict with other sales.  They just have to go with it.  I think Felix even mentioned that he doesn't schedule an unboxing if it'll conflict with ComicArtLive.

Maybe DD vs HA only matters if you're buying ?  I don't watch HA Live if I'm not bidding or curious about specific lots.  And I think it's possible to follow both if you're not buying.  I also have a theory that if Mike wins the coin toss, he'll let Anthony go first if Mike is interested in HA Live.  Also, DD starts when HA Live is almost over.  And you could just watch DD after it's streamed, I'll do that just to see what art was for sale.

This week's DD solo Anthony show was pretty cool - seeing all that high end stuff was great. Personally, it was nice to see almost all production pieces instead of lots of prelims. The Frank Miller large-sized commission was also a great piece that did see a sale/trade. He brought another couple great Rudy Nebres pieces, too. Anthony was crankin' out pieces left and right - I think his total showcase was 60 pieces? I bailed out at the recap.

I did take Will_K's advice and watch the end of HA Live - pretty easy to balance those two shows.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This week's DD solo Anthony show was pretty cool - seeing all that high end stuff was great. Personally, it was nice to see almost all production pieces instead of lots of prelims. The Frank Miller large-sized commission was also a great piece that did see a sale/trade. He brought another couple great Rudy Nebres pieces, too. Anthony was crankin' out pieces left and right - I think his total showcase was 60 pieces? I bailed out at the recap.

I did take Will_K's advice and watch the end of HA Live - pretty easy to balance those two shows.

You missed quite a bit then, at the end of the show he began to take offers on art listed on his website and made quite a few sales/potential sales from there (there were some pieces he wasn't sure if he still had and accepted offers contingent on him confirming that he still had those pieces). Bill and Anthony liked that format so much they're planning to have shows early next year where Anthony and his assistant will be in their warehouse and they'll take offers and be able to pull the art from the website on the show live. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, JC25427N said:

You missed quite a bit then, at the end of the show he began to take offers on art listed on his website and made quite a few sales/potential sales from there (there were some pieces he wasn't sure if he still had and accepted offers contingent on him confirming that he still had those pieces. bill and Anthony liked that format so much they're planning to have shows early next year where Anthony and his assistant will be in their warehouse and they'll take offers and be able to pull the art from the website on the show live. 

Oh damn! Well I am excited for that, he’s got a couple pieces on his site I’d love to see if he’ll deal on!

To expand on my theory... HA Live referred to the weekly Heritage auction on Wednesdays.  HA Live does not refer to ComicArtLive or Dueling Dealers.  HA Live starts at 7 PM Eastern and winds down close to the start time for Dueling Dealers (9 PM Eastern).  My theory is if Mike wins the coin toss and wants to catch the end of HA Live, he'll let Anthony go first.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Anyone catch last night's episode? I think Anthony's new look stole the show.

For me, a couple really cool BA pages stood out: the Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze page was neat - I really liked the Ms. Marvel page, but it's outside my focus to make a move on it.

@Buzzetta showed up last night after a bit, but my power went out (snowstorm) around Round 8, so I missed the recap. Not sure what moved after Round 8.

I am usually there every Wednesday and have it on in the background while I am doing work or waiting for the Heritage listings.  It was good seeing you in there along with a few others.  There were a couple of pieces that I would have through out an offer on one week but I wound up spending that money on the Wednesday night Heritage auction.  The only thing that I have ever been disappointed I missed out on was a "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" page that they sold the one night I could not attend the livestream. 

Personally I feel that Anthony has been a little ambitious with some of his prices lately while Mike has been a little more realistic and has had some more interesting offerings. 

I think I am done for the year though unless something incredible comes up. 

On 12/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, Buzzetta said:

Personally I feel that Anthony has been a little ambitious with some of his prices lately while Mike has been a little more realistic and has had some more interesting offerings. 

I think I am done for the year though unless something incredible comes up. 

I have been thinking the same thing - wondering if he's keeping an aggressive price but allowing himself more leeway in negotiating? The show is a great way for me to spend a little time getting educated on a variety of artists and eras. My focus is pretty tight on what I collect and pieces for me don't show up often, but the show gives me a lot to look at and I usually spend half the time researching an interesting piece that turns up for sale and I want to find out more about the publication or the artist. I blew my year-end wad on Heritage last week so I'm definitely on the sidelines for awhile - but I'll probably keep watching (and hoping to avoid temptation).

So, I am sitting back here couch touring, wrapping packages, (thanks to those that paid) couch touring while the MSG Phish Night 1 is on in the background. 

I feel like I am tripping out tonight and all I had was a Ginger Ale. 

Is it me or are there "dancing Burkeys" in the background ?

Either way, there is a LOT of impressive stuff on this show tonight.

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 10.38.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 10.36.59 PM.png

I have watched a lot of these shows and even bought some art, but with the cringe factor fully off the charts now and the offerings veering more and more into the "Pay $$$ for this non-panel page art," I'm throwing in the towel until Bill has another show featuring just collectors.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 12/29/2022 at 7:05 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I have watched a lot of these shows and even bought some art, but with the cringe factor fully off the charts now and the offerings veering more and more into the "Pay $$$ for this non-panel page art," I'm throwing in the towel until Bill has another show featuring just collectors.

Well, now I gotta 💻👀 this episode!

I actually thought the 'Buy Hard' episode was fun, and a couple good offerings (not in my collecting focus). I spent most of the show trying to track down information on the Chiodo Catwoman painting, which was previously on a CAF member's page that was not archived recent enough on the Wayback Machine for me to pull any info on. I was secretly hoping it had made it onto Joe's trading card series, but it didn't.

I'm not sure how important it is for people to know the creation dates - it is for me, as it's apparent that older works can command higher prices for some artists. But I think for some collectors looking to have a piece by a specific artist, they might not worry about it.

I'd agree with @KirbyCollector that there seems to be a lot of commission work and sketches, but I will say that I prefer to see these rather than prelims. If you're a DC collector, Dueling Dealers seems to be a good venue to find some great Bronze/Copper pages. I was surprised that the John Byrne Doom Patrol DPS didn't move. Must not be a big market for giant monkeys.

I think if you're a newer-ish viewer to the show, something that may not fully be cognizant of is that Dueling Dealers is a show where Mike and Anthony are limited to bringing art that is "New to the Market" (Which usually at the least just means art that Mike or Anthony just recently received, even if it was in the market semi-recently). 

So they usually present stuff that they just got in from recent collections that they've bought or trades they've recently made, They're also full time dealers, so they also update their websites periodically. They don't have a mountain of secret art that they purposefully don't put up on their websites just to save for Dueling Dealers (They might have a small hill, especially around this time....).

Most of the fresh stuff they get in are from deals they make at cons, and especially at around this time when Con-season is over, they have less stuff coming in, so you notice their websites are updated less frequently (except for Anthony and those comic strips lol) so they can keep enough art for the show. So you can never reliably predict what they're going to bring in, nor can you really fault them if they're not showing things you like. 

And aside from the art being presented, if you don't like the other aspects of the show (which people have expressed time and time again), then yeah it's not for everyone, but it's how they want to do their show and it works for a lot of people. I find that people who "take things too seriously all the time" (however you want to interpret that) are not the target audience for the show and should stay away.

Edited by JC25427N

Looking at Mike's site, it appears that someone did pick up that Chiodo painting - which I thought was a pretty sweet price, especially for the size of the painting, and it seemed like a really nice representation of his style.

I am pretty impressed by the amount of art they pull together in a span of a week, not to mention that they have to perform their daily duties on top of preparing for the show. I've only been watching for a few months, but I always appreciate the effort and the fact they put something together weekly for people like me to watch. My schedule doesn't allow for a lot of other "appointment" auctions or events - so I'm happy I get to check out at least one thing art related.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:32 PM, JC25427N said:

aside from the art being presented, if you don't like the other aspects of the show (which people have expressed time and time again), then yeah it's not for everyone, but it's how they want to do their show and it works for a lot of people

It's probably me. Over time, the show has become more about goofy sketches and less about the art, which the opposite of how it started. When the main focus of a show is out-of-shape Mike running around in a tank top while Anthony in drag kisses his wife who is dressed as a guy, the OA gets kinda lost in the shuffle.

Yeah they've definitely leaned into that stuff more especially on the latest show where it extended the run time quite a bit, so if someone doesn't like how their normal schticks go I can see how this latest show especially turned them off, but they have fun doing the memes and skits and they wanted to do something big for their 100th show.

But yeah I think most people manage to look at the art just fine while enjoying the memes (or just tabbing out during them) on the show at the same time.

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/29/2022 at 4:09 PM, KirbyCollector said:

It's probably me. Over time, the show has become more about goofy sketches and less about the art, which the opposite of how it started. When the main focus of a show is out-of-shape Mike running around in a tank top while Anthony in drag kisses his wife who is dressed as a guy, the OA gets kinda lost in the shuffle.

Sounds like it's now worth watching. 

Wow - right out of the gate, I thought these guys had great art tonight. Nice pieces at all price points throughout the show. 

Edited: rephrased!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Wow - right out of the gate, these guys had amazing art tonight. Big, big pieces at all price points throughout the show. 

Haven’t watched in a while. Just skimmed it to see all the ‘amazing’ art. Meh. I liked the Ms Marvel page and the Ralph Reese painting was cool. That was about it. (shrug)