• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone watching Dueling Dealers tonight?
4 4

91 posts in this topic

My first experience was the "unpublished prelims" episode which was not terribly exciting. I'm interested to watch this as I assume they will have more regular-type stuff tonight. Anyone else watching?

On 10/20/2022 at 9:28 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It seems as if the show has more unpublished pieces/prelims/recreations than it did in the past

I think it really depends on when they've gotten new art and their sources.  If their source collected a lot of sketches, that's what you'll see on DD in the next month. 

Also, depending on how far in advance they plan out DD, the dealers probably save up a lot of unpublished and/or lower priced art for those "$1000 or less" shows.  I think the number of live viewers is significantly higher for those shows.

In general, they seem to have a lot of restraint in not listing art for sale on their websites so they can show it on DD (where they could end up selling for less).

On 10/20/2022 at 7:28 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It seems as if the show has more unpublished pieces/prelims/recreations than it did in the past

I've been noticing that the prelim art is finding it's way out all over the place. It's almost as if the sub-$1000 range has moved past that price range, and the preliminary art is filling the gap.

I took a flier on the Lady Death piece - I think it's a pretty good Al Rio piece with a nice background, but I am hoping that with Tie Alexander's inks and the timeframe it was drawn (2001) when they were working together on a few other things - that it means that is a published piece, lost inside some Lady Death pinup book. I'll have some fun doing detective work on it, and if it's just a commission - well, that's cool too!

On 10/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, Will_K said:

In general, they seem to have a lot of restraint in not listing art for sale on their websites so they can show it on DD (where they could end up selling for less).

What is interesting is when they lower a price during the recap, and the piece does not sell, it goes up (on both sites) for the original ask. If you see a page posted recently that you like, it pays to review the show, see if it was offered, and then make an offer based on the recap price.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/20/2022 at 11:14 AM, KirbyCollector said:

What is interesting is when they lower a price during the recap, and the piece does not sell, it goes up (on both sites) for the original ask. If you see a page posted recently that you like, it pays to review the show, see if it was offered, and then make an offer based on the recap price.

On the flipside of that, I also think the dealers might be open to deeper discounted offers live on Dueling Dealers than they are through their respective sites.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:

On the flipside of that, I also think the dealers might be open to deeper discounted offers live on Dueling Dealers than they are through their respective sites.

It's hard to tell. If I were them, I would mark up everything 20% on the livecast in case someone feels a sense of urgency to buy. Then discount it back 10% on the replay if no one takes it in the initial offering.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:

They discount better offline... just one example, but a piece was offered for 2000... recap price was 1600 but no takers... listed on site at 2000, contacted the dealer a few days later and bought it for 1500... good for me but also good for dealer b/c it appears publicly as though the sale was at 2000

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/21/2022 at 9:55 PM, Shemp said:

Yup! Sure did. It's been a while since they had a piece I liked, at a price I liked.

Ramona did some great recreations, I picked up Brave and Bold #57 cover she also did oversized earlier this year.