• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone watching Dueling Dealers tonight?
4 4

91 posts in this topic

Good show tonight, lots of great spooky horror-themed art. Really neat and unique Boris Karloff sketch. I don't know Anthony's wife's name - but she had a killer Sally costume. 

On 10/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, Will_K said:

The Boris Karloff drawing was interesting.  But I couldn't figure out what was going on with his chin.  I think it was part of a costume.

You know when you are posting about a Boris Karloff drawing the rest of the art on offer was meh

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 10/27/2022 at 9:44 AM, Will_K said:

Well, it was a drawing by Boris Karloff (self portrait).  I could not tell if something on his chin was part of a costume.

Don't get me wrong I liked it and thought it was cool... for non-comic OA in what is ostensibly an OA show which is increasingly featuring more and more unpublished and niche art...Barbi Twins, anyone? How about some fresh to the market Malibu pages? If that doesn't wet your whistle, how a Mignola Hellboy piece? Wait, what do you mean you've seen a 1,000 of these... you've never seen THIS one! :roflmao:

Edited by KirbyCollector

Well, to have the recent DD be a Halloween theme, by definition, it's a niche episode.  And maybe they were checking the couch cushions to gather art.

Now the question is, would you ever expect to see the Barbi Twins cover and the Boris Karloff drawing in the same (non-Halloween) DD episode again?  Maybe now that it's in the market, those piece will make the rounds.  Mike Burkey had that Mike Nasser piece for sale at one time (not necessarily on DD).  Then I saw it for sale by another dealer later.  And now it's back with MB.  I know that particular page because it's the one page I begged off when that story was broken up in a ComicConnect auction.

Edited by Will_K

On 10/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, Will_K said:

Well, to have the recent DD be a Halloween theme, by definition, it's a niche episode.  And maybe they were checking the couch cushions to gather art.

Now the question is, would you ever expect to see the Barbi Twins cover and the Boris Karloff drawing in the same (non-Halloween) DD episode again?  Maybe now that it's in the market, those piece will make the rounds.  Mike Burkey had that Mike Nasser piece for sale at one time (not necessarily on DD).  Then I saw it for sale by another dealer later.  And now it's back with MB.  I know that particular page because it's the one page I begged off when that story was broken up in a ComicConnect auction.

I am tempted by that Barbi Twins cover, it's a great piece and a solid price. I have to keep talking myself out of it.

I haven't gotten my email notice, I'm not sure if there's a DD tonight - but if so, here's a bump. I'll be sniffing around there if there's a show.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

How about some fresh to the market Malibu pages?

I agree. Some killer art on those 90's Malibu pages, I was lucky enough to get a really nice Mantra page a few weeks back.

Really nice stuff on the upper end of DD tonight. Cool Jim Lee/Scott Williams card art and What If page by Rick Hoberg - I wasn't familiar with his work and spent some time looking at his stuff tonight.

Interesting to see a few people have a problem with the CGC Boards in the chat? I don't know what that's about. 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Really nice stuff on the upper end of DD tonight. Cool Jim Lee/Scott Williams card art and What If page by Rick Hoberg - I wasn't familiar with his work and spent some time looking at his stuff tonight.

Interesting to see a few people have a problem with the CGC Boards in the chat? I don't know what that's about. 

Also this thread (now untitled).

Hey @Dr. Balls  , I saw you chime in a couple times in the DD chat.  I almost never chime in and never claimed anything on DD.  But I have gotten art as a result of other ComicArtLive shows.

The OP ("Race") left the forum and (as per the moderator) asked that all of his posts be removed.  And the topic above has been scrubbed.  There were a couple of other posts in that topic that seem to have been removed (including at least one of mine, not my request).  I watched almost everything until last night's recap and that episode could've been referenced in that topic as well.  But the gist is people that posted in that topic (including me, I guess) are now seen as a little puritanical (noone used that word at the time but maybe it fits).  And so when things on DD get a little "racy" (pun intended), the DD chat references CGC.  I think the topic would've died down on its own like they usually do.  Aside from that, I did have a short e-mail exchange with Bill and I guess he has other reasons not to like the CGC boards.  Any way, Bill generally ignores the CGC boards but I'm sure some people bring topics to his attention on occasion.

Edited by Will_K

Oh man, that thread has some great info:

the "garishness" of the DD show? I guess that's relative to where you come from. I enjoy the show's banter quite a bit, and I think an episode of American Dad is probably more garish than anything I've heard in my short stint watching DD.

"Let's also remember, Anthony is Jimmy the Greek's son." - That's pretty awesome, I did not know he was a fellow Greek.

I guess this is the internet, where there's always going to be discussion one way or the other. I've noticed the CGC comments in the DD chat and wondered about that. I think along with the thigh gap and haunches comments, it's just one of those chat memes that will always be there. That's part of the collective online community's memories.

I really enjoy DD, it gives me a something to watch on Wednesdays when I get home. I find new artists, do Google searches, and learn a little bit about areas of art I'm not familiar with.

I'm smack in the middle of Montana and a minimum of 400 miles away from any comic convention at all times with no way to take time off to get to one, so it's great to be part of this community on the Boards and participate in that one. Probably 1/3 of my meager OA collection has come from Anthony and Mike - they seem to get the stuff I'm looking for, so I'll always be watching.

I applaud their efforts, especially Bill - who comes up with a fun, irreverent, live show every week. I have a similar challenge with my business - coming up with unique and creative creations week-in and week-out. It's a lot of mental dedication to put your product together, and it can be frustrating when even just one person lays out a snarky comment. So if Bill happens to lurk on the boards anymore, I hope he'll read that I appreciate what he puts together every week and I hope that'll he'll always find enjoyment in it and keep it going - because it's a cool show.

On 10/19/2022 at 10:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've spent most of the hour trying to identify that Al Rio Lady Death piece. Cannot find it. 

It looks like you posted that piece in your CAF.  Did you confirm it as a commission ?  I forgot to mention that you could consult Terry Maltos on CAF.  I think he was a friend or art rep for Rio.

Also, I think on some ComicArtLive show, Bill mentioned his mother was Greek.

Edited by Will_K

On 11/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, Will_K said:

It looks like you posted that piece in your CAF.  Did you confirm it as a commission ?  I forgot to mention that you could consult Terry Maltos on CAF.  I think he was a friend or art rep for Rio.

Also, I think on some ComicArtLive show, Bill mentioned his mother was Greek.

I posted on the FB Comic Art Group and I believe Terry Maltos commented on my post and helped solidify the likelihood it was indeed a commission - which is ok. I think it's a very strong Rio piece, published or not, and was happy with the discount Mike gave me on it. I love taking a risk on older pieces that are unidentified and they turn out to be published - I've had good luck with a couple of them, but you can't win 'em all.

Lots of Greeks on that show! lol My mother was Greek, but my father smelt of Elderberries.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh man, that thread has some great info:

the "garishness" of the DD show? I guess that's relative to where you come from. I enjoy the show's banter quite a bit, and I think an episode of American Dad is probably more garish than anything I've heard in my short stint watching DD.

"Let's also remember, Anthony is Jimmy the Greek's son." - That's pretty awesome, I did not know he was a fellow Greek.

I guess this is the internet, where there's always going to be discussion one way or the other. I've noticed the CGC comments in the DD chat and wondered about that. I think along with the thigh gap and haunches comments, it's just one of those chat memes that will always be there. That's part of the collective online community's memories.

I really enjoy DD, it gives me a something to watch on Wednesdays when I get home. I find new artists, do Google searches, and learn a little bit about areas of art I'm not familiar with.

I'm smack in the middle of Montana and a minimum of 400 miles away from any comic convention at all times with no way to take time off to get to one, so it's great to be part of this community on the Boards and participate in that one. Probably 1/3 of my meager OA collection has come from Anthony and Mike - they seem to get the stuff I'm looking for, so I'll always be watching.

I applaud their efforts, especially Bill - who comes up with a fun, irreverent, live show every week. I have a similar challenge with my business - coming up with unique and creative creations week-in and week-out. It's a lot of mental dedication to put your product together, and it can be frustrating when even just one person lays out a snarky comment. So if Bill happens to lurk on the boards anymore, I hope he'll read that I appreciate what he puts together every week and I hope that'll he'll always find enjoyment in it and keep it going - because it's a cool show.

I wonder sometimes if there isn't a real split in the hobby when it comes to taste, i.e. "I love giant Powergirl boobs all the time" side vs the "It's real art and should be considered as such" side. I tend to be the latter, so the tendency of the show to drift toward the "entertainment" (juvenile humor) side of the aisle can be off-putting at times... Does that make me a snob or prude? I don't know, just how I feel.

I do notice neither Mike or Anthony are like this IRL... perhaps being on camera leads to this.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:56 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I wonder sometimes if there isn't a real split in the hobby when it comes to taste, i.e. "I love giant Powergirl boobs all the time" side vs the "It's real art and should be considered as such" side. I tend to be the latter, so the tendency of the show to drift toward the "entertainment" (juvenile humor) side of the aisle can be off-putting at times... Does that make me a snob or prude? I don't know, just how I feel.

I do notice neither Mike or Anthony are like this IRL... perhaps being on camera leads to this.

You can collect and appreciate art however you want, it doesn't make you a snob or a prude, its when someone tries to push their point of view on you and or suggest your way of thinking is somehow lesser than theirs is when issues come up. The issue with Race was that he didn't like the humor, and then suggested anyone who did was some sort of bigot (Don't think he ever used that exact word, but that was the gist of it)

Also, I wouldn't count those as mutually exclusive, I agree with both of those statements :cheers:

Edited by JC25427N
pronoun flub