• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone watching Dueling Dealers tonight?
4 4

91 posts in this topic

I'm not going to characterize what Race wrote, especially since it's been pretty much removed and I don't expect him to chime in.  I just think that when comics are attaining some kind of respectability in the US (e.g. not just for nerds), it would be helpful to keep things on the "it's real art" side.

In any case, I watch DD if I'm not too tired.  But if there's too much Marvel, 90's art or low interest artists, I usually drop off.  From the artists mentioned in the last e-mail notification, I was interested in seeing the art by Tom Artis and Steve Mannion.  I'm a fan of both and Steve is a buddy.  The Judge Dredd cover by Tom Artis was on HA about a year ago.  Who knows how many times it's changed hands by now ??  The Vampi by Steve was nice, he can do so much with a pencil.  As I mentioned, I've never claimed anything on DD.  But I've been tempted.  Remember to hit the Like button.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, Will_K said:

I'm not going to characterize what Race wrote, especially since it's been pretty much removed and I don't expect him to chime in.  I just think that when comics are attaining some kind of respectability in the US (e.g. not just for nerds), it would be helpful to keep things on the "it's real art" side.

In any case, I watch DD if I'm not too tired.  But if there's too much Marvel, 90's art or low interest artists, I usually drop off.  From the artists mentioned in the last e-mail notification, I was interested in seeing the art by Tom Artis and Steve Mannion.  I'm a fan of both and Steve is a buddy.  The Judge Dredd cover by Tom Artis was on HA about a year ago.  Who knows how many times it's changed hands by now ??  The Vampi by Steve was nice, he can do so much with a pencil.  As I mentioned, I've never claimed anything on DD.  But I've been tempted.  Remember to hit the Like button.

I still don't believe creating that sort of divide does anyone any good and only serves to create (or further depending on how you feel) a sense of elitism in the community.

Edited by JC25427N

Just to clarify, I don't think its good to think of it as separate camps . An "us" vs " them" situation. People who appreciate comic art as "real" art (I don't think theres really anyone who collects OA who thinks they're collecting something less) can still appreciate aspects of art others find "less than real" for whatever reason. There's no accounting for taste

Edited by JC25427N

FWIW, the CAF YouTube channel has a whole host of running gags on different topics. "CGC police" is just one of many that people riff off. It's all in fun for the most part.

That said, it would help to remember that what for most of us is just a fun hobby, to be indulged or ignored at whim, is for other people an actual business on which they depend.for their ongoing livelihood. As such, criticism can have effects beyond just idle banter to pass the time.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:02 AM, RBerman said:

FWIW, the CAF YouTube channel has a whole host of running gags on different topics. "CGC police" is just one of many that people riff off. It's all in fun for the most part.

That said, it would help to remember that what for most of us is just a fun hobby, to be indulged or ignored at whim, is for other people an actual business on which they depend.for their ongoing livelihood. As such, criticism can have effects beyond just idle banter to pass the time.

Very true. I am old enough to remember a time where someone said something that you either: didn't agree with or thought was inappropriate, you just let it go and moved along. I mean, stopping what you're doing to confront people on every topic is 100% a product of the Internet Age.

Like you said, it's a fun hobby - and with the thousands of people we are exposed to in the hobby - I don't see it being remotely enjoyable to judge every single person I disagree with and take my focus away from what I am doing here: which is having fun.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:39 PM, Will_K said:

All true.  On the other hand, I don't think the DD chat is self-aware about bricks.  There is no "brick police".

Haunches, gaps and now bricks? I have no idea what bricks are. :ohnoez:

On 11/4/2022 at 6:42 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Haunches, gaps and now bricks? I have no idea what bricks are. :ohnoez:

Unironically, it's just that. Two-dimensional drawings of three-dimensional bricks used to construct human shelter. No double entendres needed. Just drawings of actual bricks, but sometimes used as a measure of value in terms of how much work that artist put into the background construction, which is itself a false equivalency.

Anyone catch last night's episode? I think Anthony's new look stole the show.

For me, a couple really cool BA pages stood out: the Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze page was neat - I really liked the Ms. Marvel page, but it's outside my focus to make a move on it.

@Buzzetta showed up last night after a bit, but my power went out (snowstorm) around Round 8, so I missed the recap. Not sure what moved after Round 8.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Anyone catch last night's episode? I think Anthony's new look stole the show.

For me, a couple really cool BA pages stood out: the Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze page was neat - I really liked the Ms. Marvel page, but it's outside my focus to make a move on it.

@Buzzetta showed up last night after a bit, but my power went out (snowstorm) around Round 8, so I missed the recap. Not sure what moved after Round 8.

Saw the Johnny Blaze page but needed more Ghost Rider

On 11/18/2022 at 2:18 PM, Drummy said:

I too liked the BA material and was tempted by the Ms. Marvel #4 page -- except that it had very little action.  Love the artists, though.

Agree, I thought they brought a few decent vintage pages this time...

On 11/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, Brian Peck said:

I prefer the later issues by Cockrum with the new costume.

There’s a superb Cockrum Ms Marvel page in her new costume on CLink. 

Is DD on tonight? I’m on my phone and can’t seem to find out if they are. I need to figure out if I have to hurry up and get home. lol

@romitaman

Edited by Dr. Balls

Seemed like a good show for Bats fans, the higher end stuff was pretty cool. I spent the majority of the show trying to identify the issue that Rudy Nebres page was from - to no avail. But through my searching I did find the title to the other Nebres piece Anthony had. It was nice to see a Gonzalo Mayo piece in there, too. The Warren artists had a good showing in this episode.

Edited by Dr. Balls