• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High End BA Grades outside of investing

23 posts in this topic

I've been upping my CGC Bronze Marvel horror collecting. I have no problem getting 9.0 or 9.2 books. They are usually quite attractive and much more affordable than the upper grades. Not to say if I run across a higher grade at a bargain price I'll jump on it. I'm not into it for making money but if a time comes when I want to sell some I should be able to break even or make a small profit. 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, Royardee said:

It’s true that everyone is human, and that’s why I look for consistency. Has there ever been a case for comics having it’s grade way off the mark? Something like a 9.8 that was in 7.0 condition? Genuinely curious.

I also disagree that something such as expert card grader exists. Sports cards, from what I’ve been told, have more waxing and adhesive issues than TCG cards. So I could see needing a more trained eye there. Not sure because I don’t collect them. However, Pokémon, Yugioh, or MTG? Doesn’t exist. Anyone can grade these cards. Fake cards are extremely obvious (wrong card stock, wrong color entirely, etc. it doesn’t look like a card). Graders are given a loupe to gloss over the card for less than a minute at times front and back. 

This is the Reason for massive inconsistencies in trading cards. That’s why I’m genuinely curious, have you heard of situations where comics have been as inconsistent as graded TCG cards? For TCG, it’s a well know problem that has been going on for many years now. 

If there is BIG money in something, there are bound to be counterfeits.  Trading Card Games are printed as many other items are.  Just because it is more difficult to fake them by any casual forger, there are GREAT forgers out there.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, Yorick said:

If there is BIG money in something, there are bound to be counterfeits.  Trading Card Games are printed as many other items are.  Just because it is more difficult to fake them by any casual forger, there are GREAT forgers out there.

That's true, we just have never seen them to this day is what I mean. All our encounters with fake cards have been very obviously fake. Maybe one day this will be a problem in TCGs, it's just not yet.