• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA buyers purchasing from foreign sellers - any tips or advice?

10 posts in this topic

I've been looking at a couple pieces from a foreign seller on CAF, and before I got my hopes up, I figured I would ask for advice in buying internationally. My only previous experience buying overseas were records - with a much lower price point, and from a website that gives seller ratings, so you have some indication of the worthiness of the seller.

I don't have that on CAF, so before I go whisking off my money to someone - I thought I'd ask around for advice or thoughts on making a purchase. I'm assuming (and requiring) that Paypal is the method of payment as I believe it will cover my purchase (a seller from Italy). I also know that I need to let my bank dictate the conversion rate for the Euro, as Paypal's conversion rate is higher. From the cost of shipping, it appears the seller does provide tracking (via DHL).

Thanks for any feedback!

Make sure your phone number is accurate on any incoming shipment. If it gets stuck in customs purgatory you will want to be available. Also, once you get the tracking sign up for the email alerts to keep track of the "actions", which may be vague in what they mean (delivery exception is my favorite). Don't expect the carrier to be easily available via phone if there is a problem. Expect a possible charge of some kind for customs processing from Fedex or DHL. They will hold the package hostage until paid. Fedex tends to have some random form that needs to be completed that delays things (customs import form). The estimate delivery date is rarely accurate. Don't expect them to actually get you to sign for the package.

On payment, make sure the seller and you are on the same page with fees before sending money.

Edited by cstojano

Ask them to pack it with a bunch of extra protection. I don't know how the mail survives overseas because it doesn't seem to matter which European country it comes from, art is never protected with more than a flimsy piece of cardboard. Once you explain that the post office/fedex/ups beats the package most sellers seem to understand. 

As somebody who is at the other side of the ocean from you, I understand completely your concern. Everything that has already been told to you (especially extra protection and care for shipping option) are good things.

Maybe I would add that you have to take care deeply of the seller reputation, because that's a subject that really concerns me for you, american buyers, since my last purchase several weeks ago... in my own country here : France ! I explain : I made a deal recently with a seller in my own country that did a catastrophic job on packaging the parcel and even tried to make money on my back sending me the parcel without insurance, even if I paid for insurance !!! In a few days, I will take the time to explain the subject more in the packaging thread (because it's a interesting example of a bad parcel) and maybe give info here in this thread about this seller, because if he was involved in a transaction with somebody here, I would be concerned in the same way you would be concerned to see an european buyer buying from a person of dubious reputation in the USA... As the guy is selling internationally all kind of original art (american, european and even OA manga art), you probably can have seen already the original art he is selling on Ebay, CAF, Catawiki... with Donnelly brothers kind of prices... and with the situation on the currency market like it is nowadays, what was not a problem a few years ago (because overseas prices were too high to be interesting for you) is now a real problem, because you can naturally be attracted now to OA located in Europe. 

However, I don't want to worry you : each time I made a transaction with a real professional OA dealer from Italy (the french guy I'm talking about isn't a professional), I haven't had any problem. The guys knew what they were doing, and the packaging was suited to travel both a few hundred miles or a few thousand ones. Precisely, I can highly recommend http://www.artefumetto.it/ and https://www.tavoleoriginali.net/

Edited by Ecclectica

I live in Germany and bought a lot of art in the US or from artist in South-America and Asia. 

Packaging should be at masonite board and this should be in a bigger box. If the art is expensive (over $1.5k) I would prefer fast shipping via DHL express or UPS. When I send via DHL to the US, normal packages cost 45€, but shipping time is 2-4 weeks. Via express the shipping time is just 5-7 days and they do the customs process. I feel more comfortable receiving and sending higher valued art this way.

You can save some $$$ to pay via Wise. The exchange rates at PayPal are terrible. You pay 3-4% more.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:28 AM, EXPhysiker said:

You can save some $$$ to pay via Wise. The exchange rates at PayPal are terrible. You pay 3-4% more.

You're right, but do you think Wise is used by many european OA dealers ?

I says this because I even had, in a recent past, difficulties to make accept a Paypal payment to an (excellent) OA dealer not far from the two of us, so...

Edited by Ecclectica

Awesome insight from everyone, thank you. I've reached out to him to discuss his payment terms and shipping, and will follow up with more questions after that based on what you guys have recommended here. And thank you to @Ecclecticafor the European art site recommendations, I'll check them out as well.

I bought from a seller in Italy, and everything went super smooth. Good communication, and was able to pay via Paypal and he shipped express DHL. Having a little insight assuaged any concerns about going with a foreign dealer - I appreciate the comments.