• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get signings through convention or in-house cgc event?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Greg Capullo will be at a local con pretty soon but there is currently a chance of submitting directly to cgc for a signing.

I don't know how much he charges at a con so there is that to consider, anyone with experience is welcomed to chime in and no, CGC will not be attending this con themselves.

Assuming I can get a witness or a facilitator for the con, which would be the best option?

On 10/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, Grayson9030 said:

Greg Capullo will be at a local con pretty soon but there is currently a chance of submitting directly to cgc for a signing.

I don't know how much he charges at a con so there is that to consider, anyone with experience is welcomed to chime in and no, CGC will not be attending this con themselves.

Assuming I can get a witness or a facilitator for the con, which would be the best option?

He was at a Con I was at end of September, and he was charging $30 to sign a witnessed book. So, my guess is he will be around that price for the con you are at also. So, if you add that to the price of grading for CGC, and compare it to the price for his in house signing price that should help. Thing to keep in mind is that the CGC in house signings pretty much include fast track grading with it. In my previous experience, the in house signings are typically better price wise then a con, once you add up all the charges you will eventually pay, unless you are able to get multiple signatures at the same con, that you couldn't also get in the same signing at CGC. Hopefully that makes sense and helps you out some. 

Do you value meeting him in person?

that is also a factor

each facilitator charges different rates, so that’s a factor

what is the cost of the con? That is a factor?

does time matter?  The timing is different for Cgc in house vs other cgc submissions.

what’s your own personal price threshold difference after factoring in the above?  Is effort a factor? Are you a Cgc member?  

these are things I would consider, but they all…. Depend 

On 10/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, Skippeydoo said:

He was at a Con I was at end of September, and he was charging $30 to sign a witnessed book. So, my guess is he will be around that price for the con you are at also. So, if you add that to the price of grading for CGC, and compare it to the price for his in house signing price that should help. Thing to keep in mind is that the CGC in house signings pretty much include fast track grading with it. In my previous experience, the in house signings are typically better price wise then a con, once you add up all the charges you will eventually pay, unless you are able to get multiple signatures at the same con, that you couldn't also get in the same signing at CGC. Hopefully that makes sense and helps you out some. 

This is usually how I look at it also. Not sure how it's done now but a few years back at the Emerald City Comic Con, I had a few witnessed by CGC, had to go to the CGC booth, get a witness to come with me and witness the sig, go back to the booth and then finish the paperwork. I was able to get it back at the end of the con so that was a quick plus but no pressing, etc. option. This was pre-COVID so have been taking advantage of the in house signings with pressing and quick turnarounds. If there's no official CGC representation at the convention you're at, I see third party witnessing options and they will submit to CGC on your behalf but think that's at regular turn around times. Couple of options out there. 

Thank you everyone for taking time in sharing your thoughts about this. I definitely value the chance in meeting ANY artist/writer that played a big part in stories that I've enjoyed like Capullo/Snyder.

But ultimately I'll go the convention route. Definitely more time consuming but meeting and getting a chance to exchange a few words with them would be awesome. Thanks everyone.