• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions - The Harlan Ellison Collection
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, Xatari said:

Wow!  Was anyone else watching these hammer prices today? The two biggies I was tracking blew by what I was hoping to pay.

• Spawn #2 cover - $168k (no actual Todd pencils... painted over printed pencils)
  • Watchmen #1 p. 23 - $84k

So, no bubble bursting? :baiting:

The provenance no doubt helped as well.  Not only can you say you have a cool piece (many which were already framed), but they were also owned by Harlan Ellison.  I was active on the Plunkett Spectre cover (actually covers), but it went for a lot more than I expected.

On 10/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, Heidjer Staecker said:

The provenance no doubt helped as well.  Not only can you say you have a cool piece (many which were already framed), but they were also owned by Harlan Ellison.  I was active on the Plunkett Spectre cover (actually covers), but it went for a lot more than I expected.

Do you think the fact that the art was owned by Ellison really made a difference in what these pieces sold for versus what they would have sold for at a signature auction? I don’t think it made that much of a difference.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, Michael Browning said:

Do you think the fact that the art was owned by Ellison really made a difference in what these pieces sold for versus what they would have sold for at a signature auction? I don’t think it made that much of a difference.

Given what the comic books went for, I would say absolutely provenance played a big part in the sale of those. I am not so sure about the OA, hard to say. And I wasn't surprised by the OA results. 

By the way, I got to see many of the pieces in person at the Beverly Hills preview room a couple weeks ago. That was a real treat. While there, I met J. Michael Straczynski, who as many are aware, was a good friend of Ellison and served as his estate executor.

A Harlan Ellison typewriter? Yes, that would matter to an Ellison fan and could make them bid higher. A piece of art as good as those that sold? Nope. I don't think any single bidder cared. I think it probably went something like this: "Oh wow, a Heritage auction with art that is finally available and I've got to have it!" Honestly and I mean no offense, but, does Ellison have THAT many fans these days?

On 10/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, Michael Browning said:

A Harlan Ellison typewriter? Yes, that would matter to an Ellison fan and could make them bid higher. A piece of art as good as those that sold? Nope. I don't think any single bidder cared. I think it probably went something like this: "Oh wow, a Heritage auction with art that is finally available and I've got to have it!" Honestly and I mean no offense, but, does Ellison have THAT many fans these days?

the Ellison photo with the star trek crew was a good example of something those fans would care about, I think.

Most of the items, I'm with you, who cares.     See Nic cage books other than Action 1.    At the end of the day you're just buying a book, who else did or didn't own it doesn't matter much.

Edited by Bronty