• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY holiday special (11/25/22)
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 7:12 PM, D84 said:

It was fun. I don't get say that about Marvel much anymore.

It was really fun - I liked it! I kind of thought it was a kids/adults show, but I'm guessing by the end, it was more for adult nerds than anything. I really liked the Groot costume (did that qualify as a 'practical effect'?) and it really came off as a great TV style holiday show, not a infinitely-polished episode.

I guess Groot was CGI - then, I guess it was a really cool choice, it added to the overall feel of the show.

Mantis was great - I'm glad they showcased her character, I came away liking her a lot more. I like that she's connected with Peter Quill now, that makes it all the more endearing.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I don’t use this word enough… it was “delightful”.  

I want to go back to confirm that I saw what I saw, but it looked to me like in the opening credits, the images were taken (at least some of them) from the Marvel Holiday Treasury books from the 70’s… if so…. FANTASTIC.

But the whole thing just makes you smile, like a holiday special should. 

I mean, to call this a spoiler is heavy lifting but just in case I’ll put it in the spoiler tag..

Spoiler

Not sure if anyone else is a Community fan, but the post-credit tag immediately reminded me of one of my very favorite Community post-credit tags…

On 11/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, fmaz said:

I don’t use this word enough… it was “delightful”.  

I want to go back to confirm that I saw what I saw, but it looked to me like in the opening credits, the images were taken (at least some of them) from the Marvel Holiday Treasury books from the 70’s… if so…. FANTASTIC.

But the whole thing just makes you smile, like a holiday special should. 

I mean, to call this a spoiler is heavy lifting but just in case I’ll put it in the spoiler tag..

Hide contents

Not sure if anyone else is a Community fan, but the post-credit tag immediately reminded me of one of my very favorite Community post-credit tags…

Agreed.  It was wonderful

The Guardians of the Galaxy characters under Gunn's creative leadership have become one of the brightest Marvel mini franchises throughout the MCU. I still consider GotG Vol. 1 in my Top 10 MCU films.

So it's easy to see why fans would connect with the Christmas special. This small piece of a bigger story started with emotional buildup and character introductions that hit on all the right creative cinema goals. Even if Vol. 2 was a little less packaged up than the first. And even with Taika making them just a joke piece in his movie. Audiences want to see where they are taking us.

Based off the special (which I watched a second time today…) I wonder what people think about a particular character going forward. I guess I still need spoilers since there is one sort of “reveal” in the plot.  I am of two minds …

Spoiler

Happy thought - By showing off Mantis’ power set for the first time, I wonder if she might be a character who migrates to other MCU properties after the third movie. She was an Avenger after all in the comics.  We know this will be the last of Drax, got to think Pratt is done, etc..but maybe this Mantis showcase was the beginning of her breakout.

Sad thought - maybe the elevation of Mantis to actual “family” of Quill was done in order to make her death in the third movie more powerful. I think had they not pushed her out front in the special this way, and planned to kill her off it, it would have been sad, but not as powerful as it now would land as she has been moved into a primary position.

I just figure either way, the elevation of Mantis had a purpose. James Gunn normally has a reason for things like that.

I gotta admit I didn't like it very much...was hoping I would though.  And GOTG VOL. 1 is also one of my favorite MCU movies.  

I found the songs all fell completely flat, Pratt seemed like he didn't want to be there and Bautista was actually annoying.  Or maybe I'm just getting old ;)

Just watched this. At first I thought I'd dropped into a kids show, but thankfully it picked up into something a bit more all-ages. I loved the showcase on Mantis, a character I dislike in the comics but love the movie interpretation. As a huge Transformers fan I had to say my favourite part was seeing Drax beating up Cy-Kill of the GoBots. Kinda satisfying I have to admit. 

It's not something I can see myself ever rewatching, but it was a cutesy special, and a nice thing to tide me over till Guardians 3, not that I think I needed that, but still.