• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmitting the Same Book?

28 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Cool_Comics said:

All books are graded without previous knowledge.

I don't understand this. All books are cracked out if they are being regraded.

Meant submitter wouldn't crack it out (otherwise breaking chain of custody).

There are lots of potential answers to the "I am certain these were perfect and should have been 9.8".  Sorry - not really a quote, but I believe that captures the sentiment. 

Others have already mentioned various possibilities. And any of those might be the case. 

But no one has yet mentioned another possibility. I'd say it's a fact - and possibly why the books got less than 9.8. .......CGC is really, really strict on 9.8 moderns right now. Have been all year but even more so the last six months.  I've been submitting books since a year after they opened. I've been submitting thousands a year for a decade. I maintain it to be a fact that they are stricter on modern's at the better than NM (9.4) grades than in past. 

I don't want to bother arguing what various grades should look like and/or what defects allowed. That's arbitrary. But set a standard and stick to it. What I want - more than anything else - from a grading company is consistency. 9.8's from five years ago need to be the standard for 9.8's today. It's good for customers, good for the grading company and essential to the well being of the hobby. At least the third party graded, professionally encapsulated part of the hobby. Because if grading is inconsistent, value of the graded books being inconsistent won't be far behind. 

I just had a very similar issue occur. I sent in  5 books for Todd signing and grading. The hulk 340 I sent it was so mint it wasn’t even funny. I actually thought it was a contender for a 9.9. I paid 850 bucks for it on eBay via auction and it was probably the cleanest comic I’ve ever seen. Came back a 9.6 and no grader notes. I actually think getting it pressed dropped the grade to be honest. Local comic shop owner even said that book is a 9.8 all day long and he’s been in business for 30 years so u think he would know. Lesson learned. First and last time ever submitting to CGC. I’ll sell my books raw from here on out. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, revat said:

THe differences between a 9.4, a 9.6, and a 9.8 aren't always super obvious, and might only be seen from different angles and different lights and possibly on different pages.  

Or is it possible that the difference might be best seen based upon this image here:  :wishluck:

image.jpeg.9e99527edf7d81a72ccedb61f1dd667e.jpeg

Especially since grading is more of an art than an exact science, especially since it is really nothing more than a subjective opinion, albeit a so-called unbiased expert one, whenever the book crosses a grader's table. hm

To each their own, but this then has always puzzled me as to why bidders would pay multiples more in terms of money which is an exact science for a fractionally higher grade which is just a subjective opinion  (shrug)

On 11/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, lostboys said:

I understand the frustration.

I have 9.6s with bends and ticks.

I have 9.6s with zero visible defects.

Shoot...I have 9.4s with zero visible defects.

I imagine CCG's's money making machine is based upon submittors sending in books for pressing and grading whereby they hit the jackpot if they come back as a 9.8 graded copy, but only break even or make just a bit if it comes back as a 9.6 graded copy, and lose money for anything graded below that.  hm

Being the pisss-poor grader that I am when it comes to grading defects, I stay far away from this game and would much rather send in books that have real value across the entire condition spectrum and that big number in the top left hand corner of the slab is not the game changer as to whether you make or lose money on the underlying book itself, whether it be a CGC 4.0 graded copy, or a CGC 9.0 graded copy, or what have you .  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, joeypost said:

Based on many comments here and on-line it appears CGC’s grading was harsh on the McFarlane books. 

If this is the case here, is it possible that Todd was not as careful with the handling of the books as he could have been when he was signing them? (shrug)