• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarity / Scarcity
4 4

91 posts in this topic

I think @pmpknface analysis of the census regarding Thrilling Crime is important.  Take into account the rest of the series.  What's the most "popular" cover in the run?

@PDGray I feel that any Dell book should automatically be disqualified from categorization as "scarce or rare".  Any time you find a near mint example on the census, I feel that the chances of it being scarce or rare are reduced (disregard Pedigree books).  When other collectors/investors see such a high grade on the census, it may be a discouragement in submitting their own copies.  Top of the census is a financial windfall, but if you can't achieve that grade, is the grading worth it?  I love that Tip Top!!

On 11/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, Yorick said:

I think @pmpknface analysis of the census regarding Thrilling Crime is important.  Take into account the rest of the series.  What's the most "popular" cover in the run?

@PDGray I feel that any Dell book should automatically be disqualified from categorization as "scarce or rare".  Any time you find a near mint example on the census, I feel that the chances of it being scarce or rare are reduced (disregard Pedigree books).  When other collectors/investors see such a high grade on the census, it may be a discouragement in submitting their own copies.  Top of the census is a financial windfall, but if you can't achieve that grade, is the grading worth it?  I love that Tip Top!!

Fair enough - I know that if I look I can find plenty of Dell books - the higher grades are perhaps a bit harder to find in my experience - but lower grades are out there.  And I think there are just too many of them to consider any of them really rare or scarce.  I just used the Tarzan as an example I could readily get a photo of that I knew pretty well.  

From a glance at numerous books in the census (from the GA era) you may be able to find a few in the NM range with increasing numbers down to about a 7.0 or maybe a 6.5, but very few lower than that unless the book is exceptionally rare or unusual - or perhaps someone made a gross miscalculation or simply wanted to preserve the book.  This is because as has been stated here - it costs more to grade the book than it is worth - but that's the part that intrigues me because that is an unknown number that I just want to solve - even as a guesstimate.

Thanks on the Tip Top - I stumbled on it and wasn't going to pass up adding it to my small pedigree collection.  The goal is to get one book from each pedigree - probably will never happen, but it was a fun, unexpected find.

PDG

On 11/18/2022 at 2:26 PM, fifties said:

Don't lambaste me, but this is your most poignant statement.  What you seek is "Blowing in the wind".

Nope, not going to lambaste you - I realize that it may be out there and is likely to never be fully known.  But I find fun in the quest to figure that out.  :)

This just seems like the perfect place to have these discussions and see who has what information to contribute.  I will probably continue to ask while I formulate and figure out the best way to do it.  Heck, if Gerber could come up with his estimates back in the 1990s, why couldn't we do something similar or better given the technology and reach that we have around the world - even in this forum alone??

There is a huge amount of information contained within the members of the GA forums, but we all know that some of that information will never see the light of day.  Occasionally there is something that is kind of cool that we find out - for example, one member here knows of two copies of Action 1 that have never been graded and aren't accounted for.  I think that is a HUGE piece of information!!  There are other tidbits that are out there, but its like a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle just waiting to be solved.

PDG

What is the consensus about Eerie 11 (Avon) Rare or Scarce? A dealer has had it for a year and hasn't been able to sell it (because of the $300 price tag but offers a standard 20% off so $240) I have interest but the book is a 1.5 - 1.8 at best.

Any info/help welcomed!

On 12/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, Raze said:

What is the consensus about Eerie 11 (Avon) Rare or Scarce? A dealer has had it for a year and hasn't been able to sell it (because of the $300 price tag but offers a standard 20% off so $240) I have interest but the book is a 1.5 - 1.8 at best.

Any info/help welcomed!

Is it CGC graded, or raw?  Want to spill a link to it?

On 12/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, fifties said:

Is it CGC graded, or raw?  Want to spill a link to it?

Saw it at a local show, its raw 2 chunks out of the front cover and the cover is split and 1 staple detached...if I remember correctly. I put it at a 1.5 - 1.8 sorry no link...do you want/need it?

On 10/27/2022 at 3:32 AM, Readcomix said:

Over street used to provide their definitions of rare and scarce in the front of the guide, but I just flipped through #50 and cannot find anything, so I’m not sure if they define them the same way today. I can dig up an older guide later, but I recall they used to define rare as an estimated fewer than 20 copies in existence and scarce as an estimated 20 to 100 copies in existence.

Well, Overstreet might not be showing it anymore in the front of the guide, as they now show it in the Glossary at the back of the guide.  :gossip:

For example, in this year's 52nd edition, they show it on Page 1072 where they define Rare as "10-20 copies in existence" and Scarce as "20-100 copies estimated to exist."  So, no change as it's just the same old, same old.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, Raze said:

Any info/help welcomed!

24 graded copies.  I don't follow the series, so I'm not watching for sales, but there are several copies available on feebay right now.  Perhaps it's simply "uncommon".

On 12/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, Yorick said:

24 graded copies.  I don't follow the series, so I'm not watching for sales, but there are several copies available on feebay right now.  Perhaps it's simply "uncommon".

I saw the listed ones and the prices were pretty high. But that doesn’t mean anything.

Uncommon seems like the right answer, Thanks!

On 12/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Raze said:

Saw it at a local show, its raw 2 chunks out of the front cover and the cover is split and 1 staple detached...if I remember correctly. I put it at a 1.5 - 1.8 sorry no link...do you want/need it?

Thx, but with pieces missing out of the FC, it's a deal breaker.