• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage December 10 comic and comic art auction
3 3

94 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, Bill C said:

Man I'm blown away by the staggering amount of SA DC art in December! Something like 7 pages from JLA 22 alone, plus other SA JLA pages. A silver age Flash cover, tons of Showcase and Brave and Bold pages, the All Star 58 cover.. it's almost endless. Can't wait to see the final offerings on this one, this'll be the most interested I've been in an auction in a while.

This is the plethora of quality DC silver age OA many have clamored for. It'll be a shame if the 💰 doesn't show up.

Bill did you get a look at all the superb pieces with Spectre? Covers. Splashes. Specialties.

These collectors had a good eye for the best stuff.

On 11/7/2022 at 4:43 AM, Bill C said:

I most certainly saw the large stash of Spectre art unloaded! I'm a big fan of Murphy Anderson's Spectre, so it's a blast to see the Showcase 64 cover pop up- as that means all the early key Spectre covers (Showcase 60, 61, 64, and Spectre 1) are known to still exist. That's so cool.

I think this one auction may have more great silver age DC that all the major dealers have combined?

I think the money will show up. IIRC, there was a HA in the last year or so that had 3 pages from JLA 21-22 that did extremely well. I figure these next 7 available pages will do great for what they are, also. Plus key covers like All Star Comics 58 will be fun to watch. It's going on a decade (I'm getting old!) since we've seen an Infantino Flash cover from his classic run (meaning 105-174, I'm not counting the 176 cover) pop up at auction IIRC, I'll be curious to see what happens there also.

No doubt these collectors had great taste (and probably got in very early). I wonder how many actual collections all this similar stuff is from?

Could be one collector who is selling up and funding their retirement?

On 11/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, Bill C said:

IIIRC, there was a HA in the last year or so that had 3 pages from JLA 21-22 that did extremely well. I

I can't speak for JLA 21-22, but there were three from JLA 29 (my first comic) that sold for a small pile. They had been owned by Don and Maggie Thompson since the pages were given to them by Julius Schwartz during an office visit! Maggie told me that they were in a desk and forgot for more than 50 years. She found them while cleaning up after Don's passing. Wow.

The splash for that one was not very splashy, but it went for way more than I would want to / could pay for it - just over $50K! Here's the image:
image.jpeg.a5ec1fc2c07dc29f107e74be8d624945.jpeg
I was 8 and I stared at thing with my brother for a long time trying to understand who everyone was and what they did.

Here's a link to the full set of pages. Maggie and Don's are the first three on the list. I'd have thought the battle page would have gone for more than the splash. Shows what I know about comic art pricing. :)

On 11/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, Bill C said:

That's right Alex, they were JLA/JSA team up pages from JLA 29, not JLA 21-22. My bad. I just remember those prices being a bit nutty.

That splash means a lot to me and I’d sacrifice a lot of comics and my page from that issue for it, but not $50k

On 11/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, glendgold said:

This is one of the better Ditko ASM pages I've seen come up - I think the long distance panel gives us that great perspective of Spidey in New York City - and I also love how Ditko seems to think buildings were constructed like the Cabinet of Caligari.

Absolutely!  Ditko buildings had 'character' . . . and what's not to love about a SD water tower!  Great page!

On 11/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, Bill C said:

I most certainly saw the large stash of Spectre art unloaded! I'm a big fan of Murphy Anderson's Spectre, so it's a blast to see the Showcase 64 cover pop up- as that means all the early key Spectre covers (Showcase 60, 61, 64, and Spectre 1) are known to still exist. That's so cool.

I think this one auction may have more great silver age DC that all the major dealers have combined?

I think the money will show up. IIRC, there was a HA in the last year or so that had 3 pages from JLA 21-22 that did extremely well. I figure these next 7 available pages will do great for what they are, also. Plus key covers like All Star Comics 58 will be fun to watch. It's going on a decade (I'm getting old!) since we've seen an Infantino Flash cover from his classic run (meaning 105-174, I'm not counting the 176 cover) pop up at auction IIRC, I'll be curious to see what happens there also.

No doubt these collectors had great taste (and probably got in very early). I wonder how many actual collections all this similar stuff is from?

I loved (and still love) Anderson's work not only on the Spectre but all of his DC Silver Age work.  It's too bad that he didn't get more pencilling work during that time period.  

This auction is a strange one:

1.  Its placement date is odd, sandwiched in between the usual Nov and Feb HA auction (which seems running a few weeks earlier this time, having a mid-Jan live bidding date)

2.  The quantity of OA and comic book lots is significantly less than normal.  Approx 210 OA lots, only 2 Bronze Age comic books and only 81 Silver Age comic books.  Quite frankly, the grades on the majority of these books are sub-standard compared to the usual Signature auction.  The Golden Age books in this offering are the exception, with some very nice GA keys included

3.  The majority of the OA lots are DC, with some Brit OA, and misc Golden Age art from Fiction House

4.  Aside from the Ditko ASM page, there's only 5 other pieces I'm tracking in this auction instead of the usual 100+ lots

Don't get me wrong, there's wonderful art by Perez, Heath (incredible stuff) and others, but given the aforementioned, this auction seems like its an auction of overburden from the November auction.  Possibly because HA didn't want to go over 1,000 OA lots by having these included therein?

Is it just me or do others see the Dec auction the same?

On 11/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1.  Its placement date is odd, sandwiched in between the usual Nov and Feb HA auction (which seems running a few weeks earlier this time, having a mid-Jan live bidding date)

2.  The quantity of OA and comic book lots is significantly less than normal.  Approx 210 OA lots, only 2 Bronze Age comic books and only 81 Silver Age comic books.  Quite frankly, the grades on the majority of these books are sub-standard compared to the usual Signature auction.  The Golden Age books in this offering are the exception, with some very nice GA keys included

3.  The majority of the OA lots are DC, with some Brit OA, and misc Golden Age art from Fiction House

4.  Aside from the Ditko ASM page, there's only 5 other pieces I'm tracking in this auction instead of the usual 100+ lots

Don't get me wrong, there's wonderful art by Perez, Heath (incredible stuff) and others, but given the aforementioned, this auction seems like its an auction of overburden from the November auction.  Possibly because HA didn't want to go over 1,000 OA lots by having these included therein?

I was thinking Heritage planned this DEC auction earlier in year before the current financial situation took hold.   If I was selling I'd much prefer to not to be in a Dec auction. But yeah it also seems like this was overflow as well.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/6/2022 at 12:43 PM, Bill C said:

Believe @aardvark88 once owned the showcase 60 cover.

Spectre fans can be rabid for vintage covers. Totally understandable as there are not many from Silver or Bronze Age, and they nearly all classics by either Anderson, Adams, and Aparo.  Glad I snagged one 2 decades ago

Edited by MAR1979

As a Spectre fan, the cup overfloweth in this auction and it's requiring a strategy with so many quality lots. I'd argue that, if I'm having to strategize, then it's way too much all at once...

This really feels like one collector, big into Spectre and Dr. Fate and other DC, was able to negotiate a separate auction. It's too concentrated to be overflow...

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 11/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

As a Spectre fan, the cup overfloweth in this auction and it's requiring a strategy with so many quality lots. I'd argue that, if I'm having to strategize, then it's way too much all at once...

This really feels like one collector, big into Spectre and Dr. Fate and other DC, was able to negotiate a separate auction. It's too concentrated to be overflow...

On 11/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Yes, you’re pretty much correct.

I sold a lot of art to the consignor back in the 70s and early 80s.

I used to own the Showcase #64 cover. Bought it from the Steranko art catalog back in 77 for $50. Sold it to the consignor in 79.

Edited by artdealer

On 11/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Agree......the comic offerings are what you'd expect in their weekly auction.

Heritage should just do an auction for the OA IMO