• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage December 10 comic and comic art auction
3 3

94 posts in this topic

It looks like someone dumped their entire Spectre/Dr. Fate collection on HA. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s a very focused group of covers and pages, much more so than I’ve seen in the past.

I wonder whose collection this was. The estate of the late Jerry Bails?

Edited by Michael Browning

On 11/23/2022 at 11:53 PM, Michael Browning said:

It looks like someone dumped their entire Spectre/Dr. Fate collection on HA. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s a very focused group of covers and pages, much more so than I’ve seen in the past.

I wonder whose collection this was. The estate of the late Jerry Bails?

Not Jerry Bails. 
I’m not at liberty to say whose collection it is. 
Suffice to say, I sold a lot of it to him back in the mid 70s to mid 80s

On 11/24/2022 at 12:12 AM, artdealer said:

Not Jerry Bails. 
I’m not at liberty to say whose collection it is. 
Suffice to say, I sold a lot of it to him back in the mid 70s to mid 80s

It’s a really nice, really focused collection. I’m surprised HA didn’t spread it out over a few auctions.

There’s some very nice DC stuff in this auction by very significant artists.

however, I’m not a DC collector so the star of this auction for me is the Ditko ASM page.  She’s an absolute beauty and I wouldn’t  be surprised if it goes for $180K, possibly a bit more!

thoughts? 🤔

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 10/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, batman_fan said:

C306989B-5E33-4690-A597-9EB5FD45E35D.jpeg

It certainly captures their sibling relationship, and of course the age is a plus. Storywise, it's a daily strip decompressed to Sunday length. The entire story is contained in the third, fourth, and final panels. Not a rare phenomenon perhaps, but also not the highest example of his art form.

On 11/24/2022 at 8:01 AM, RBerman said:

It certainly captures their sibling relationship, and of course the age is a plus. Storywise, it's a daily strip decompressed to Sunday length. The entire story is contained in the third, fourth, and final panels. Not a rare phenomenon perhaps, but also not the highest example of his art form.

The omission of content can emphasize content. The seemingly dead panels of space add the elements of time and the effect of activity on a sad Linus and a smug Lucy. More poignant that way.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:35 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The omission of content can emphasize content. The seemingly dead panels of space add the elements of time and the effect of activity on a sad Linus and a smug Lucy. More poignant that way.

Some dealer is committing this to memory so they can sell an ink drop on a twice up page.  "The less content the better!"

On 11/24/2022 at 11:48 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There’s some very nice DC stuff in this auction by very significant artists.

however, I’m not a DC collector so the star of this auction for me is the Ditko ASM page.  She’s an absolute beauty and I wouldn’t  be surprised if it goes for $180K, possibly a bit more!

thoughts? 🤔

The Spidey 29 page could bring $200k-225

On 11/19/2022 at 10:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This auction is a strange one:

1.  Its placement date is odd, sandwiched in between the usual Nov and Feb HA auction (which seems running a few weeks earlier this time, having a mid-Jan live bidding date)

2.  The quantity of OA and comic book lots is significantly less than normal.  Approx 210 OA lots, only 2 Bronze Age comic books and only 81 Silver Age comic books.  Quite frankly, the grades on the majority of these books are sub-standard compared to the usual Signature auction.  The Golden Age books in this offering are the exception, with some very nice GA keys included

3.  The majority of the OA lots are DC, with some Brit OA, and misc Golden Age art from Fiction House

4.  Aside from the Ditko ASM page, there's only 5 other pieces I'm tracking in this auction instead of the usual 100+ lots

Don't get me wrong, there's wonderful art by Perez, Heath (incredible stuff) and others, but given the aforementioned, this auction seems like its an auction of overburden from the November auction.  Possibly because HA didn't want to go over 1,000 OA lots by having these included therein?

Is it just me or do others see the Dec auction the same?

If you want to eliminate your competition, then you leave no oxygen in the room at any time of year.