• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage December 10 comic and comic art auction
3 3

94 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, Bill C said:

The 2 Showcase #55 pages with Grundy at 18K-19.2K. Man, that seems very healthy for those. And the Dr Fate page from #56, too.

Grundy enjoys a very strong following in OA for at least 15 years that I'm aware. One big name dealer in particular goes after all of them. The All Star Squadron Justice League preview page, a phenomenal page of Grundy fighting Green Lantern then head clocking Wonder Woman sold for 5K just a few minutes after the Showcase 55 pages. Rather strong showing for all the now 40 year old Squadron pages. No surprise as market on them seems to be cornered by 3 or 4 CAF members. I only wanted one of them sigh..oh well :(

Adams Spectre cover surprised me at 50K I figured it would fetch 75K easy... The Aparo Spectre Ghosts cover at 10K - someone got a "steal" on that . I had it pegged as a 15-18K item.

Congrats to all the winners wish, I had your dough :)

Edited by MAR1979

I think it was a huge mistake to put so many pieces focused on a few characters (Dr. Fate and Spectre) in the same auction.  Too many great pieces particular to my collecting to get very many of them.  I was the underbidder on a few that I otherwise would have gone higher on. 

Edited by Superhero

On 12/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, Superhero said:

I think it was a huge mistake to put so many pieces focused on a few characters (Dr. Fate and Spectre) in the same auction.  Too many great pieces particular to my collecting to get very many of them.  I was the underbidder on a few that I otherwise would have gone higher on. 

Yeah agreed its easier when they are spaced apart especially with today prices.  A long time back I learned when there were multiple items in an auction I sought, was to target only 1 of them and go all out. "Bird in hand" in effect.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/10/2022 at 10:01 PM, tth2 said:

I was promised a market crash!!!  Where's my freaking market crash?!

I don't see that happening with any decent published superhero art that is more than 35 years old, nor on any remotely semi-prime stuff that is newer.  Best that can be hoped for is minor increases or periods of stabilization rather than large growth.

Given the 1-of-a-kind nature of original art (published) if it has not happened already it will soon be a hobby mainly for the wealthy or those who got in early enough.

Crash though is affecting many high CGC census population comics - so there's that. Please note the first line of my signature :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/11/2022 at 2:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Don't worry, I am sure it will happen at the NEXT auction for sure

It's impressive the amount of OA material that heritage has brought to market over the last two years in ever increasing amounts.

And even with this, the strong prices continue even with more frequent auctions.

Will be interesting to observe if this continues.....

Hopefully the high prices realised can continue to encourage consignors to part with some of their grail level pieces 🤞

On 12/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, batman_fan said:

Don't worry, I am sure it will happen at the NEXT auction for sure

:roflmao:

How many auctions has the collective community said that?  

For those of you who have been in the hobby through the last recession, I was hoping to get some insight.  Everything, I've read seemed to indicate OA was one of the few "alternative asset classes" that not only didn't retreat but actually appreciated substantially.  Forgive me for using banking terminology but hoping to better understand some of your experiences.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:13 AM, Xatari said:

:roflmao:

How many auctions has the collective community said that?  

For those of you who have been in the hobby through the last recession, I was hoping to get some insight.  Everything, I've read seemed to indicate OA was one of the few "alternative asset classes" that not only didn't retreat but actually appreciated substantially.  Forgive me for using banking terminology but hoping to better understand some of your experiences.

Forgiven

Redd White Ace Attorney GIF - Redd White Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright -  Discover & Share GIFs