• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage December 10 comic and comic art auction
3 3

94 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 8:44 AM, delekkerste said:

I guess people are setting the prices from which prices will now crash! :fear: 

I doubt there will be a total crash. But, I do expect segmented market pieces to slip. All that great stuff being sold, for the most part, may represent people cashing out instead of seeking upgrades. The burning question is how many new buyers of high end stuff are either entering the market or existing buyers are still buying at higher prices. 

I was almost exclusively interested in the Russ Heath art and everything sold for right about what I thought it should go for.  It's not the type of material that you see people go nuts for, but it's the type of bellwether material that reflects the normal market.  Seems like nature is healing itself.  

On 12/12/2022 at 9:46 AM, buttock said:

I was almost exclusively interested in the Russ Heath art and everything sold for right about what I thought it should go for.  It's not the type of material that you see people go nuts for, but it's the type of bellwether material that reflects the normal market.  Seems like nature is healing itself.  

Absolutely gorgeous artwork by Heath in this auction.  Hope you were able to acquire a few nice examples for your collection.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:18 AM, batman_fan said:

I feel as though I did my job today. I ran up an item during the live bidding from $460 to $1560.  I didn't win but at least I didn't let whoever else wanted it get it for a bargain

Somewhere Rick2you2 just had an aneurysm.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:44 PM, delekkerste said:
On 12/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, tth2 said:

I was promised a market crash!!!  Where's my freaking market crash?!

I guess people are setting the prices from which prices will now crash! :fear: 

It's good to be able to find the black cloud in the silver lining.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:46 PM, buttock said:

No superheroes in tights, so it's hard to extrapolate too much from Heath's results.

Also, it was a lot of Heath pieces to drop in just one auction.

Edited by tth2

On 12/12/2022 at 10:07 AM, tth2 said:

No superheroes in tights, so it's hard to extrapolate too much from Heath's results.

The Heath stuff was very interesting to see in this auction because of the sheer number of pages from the late 50's/very early 60's, across multiple titles.  Normally, we see Heath Sgt Rock pages at auction from '69-'73 or thereabouts, so this really was a treat.  And I agree that given the volume of pages, its difficult to extrapolate value guidance

Supply and demand. In published OA supply is limited to 1. Demand merely needs to be 2 and on vintage stuff stuff the number of interested folks could range from 10 to 100 on any given piece

The basic math of it shields a high percentage  of Published vintage  mainstream superhero OA from negative economic factors.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:56 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Absolutely gorgeous artwork by Heath in this auction.  Hope you were able to acquire a few nice examples for your collection.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, tth2 said:

Thanks.  The twice up stuff doesn't come around very often (only 8 other war pages in the HA archives, and only one splash! :whatthe:), so despite it being a lot at once I would imagine the demand is there for the public.  I targeted 4 and batted 1.000.  I thought I had to step up to the plate for one, but I figured it was the best of the lot.  The others were about what I would have guessed they would be stickered on a reasonable dealer's wall.  

On 12/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, buttock said:

Thanks.  The twice up stuff doesn't come around very often (only 8 other war pages in the HA archives, and only one splash! :whatthe:), so despite it being a lot at once I would imagine the demand is there for the public.  I targeted 4 and batted 1.000.  I thought I had to step up to the plate for one, but I figured it was the best of the lot.  The others were about what I would have guessed they would be stickered on a reasonable dealer's wall.  

congrats!  :cheers:

On 12/12/2022 at 11:21 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 12/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, buttock said:

Expand  

congrats!  :cheers:

Ditto! :applause:

If you got the marquee piece, which I think everyone would've spotted immediately as the star of the Heath selections, it's great to know it's in good hands! 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, Bill C said:

I just won an Anderson Atomic Knights page at HA for about 84% of what it went for (again, at HA) over 8 years ago (!), but I think the fact that they forgot to list it as "Atomic Knights" this time around was the issue, not a crash.

Congrats 🥳 

On 12/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Will_K said:

I know it's been asked over and over (and in different ways)... but who's buying all this art ?? 

I'm surprised that the market can absorb so much Jim Lee art when Albert sells it.

I dunno. I don't collect Jim Lee, but he has been a top-5 artist in comics for what, 35 years now?