• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who decided the years for copper age?

23 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2022 at 8:51 PM, Tony S said:

I don't believe the "Copper Age" was a widely accepted thing until eBay made it part of their listings. Ages are not typically recognized until they are well into the era or even beyond. I started collecting comic books around 1966 and no one knew the "Silver Age" was over in 1970 until maybe the early 1980's. Even the Overstreet Price Guide in the 1970's was more likely to speak of the First and Second heroic ages, not Gold/Silver ages

Thanks. Ebay makes sense. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yep.  It was dealer driven. To drive-up prices for SA. Same with Bronze. Dumb concepts when it you get down to it.  Focusing decades and/or events makes more sense.

On 10/28/2022 at 11:53 PM, MetalPSI said:

I've always considered Image/Valiant arriving on scene as copper but it seems like a lot of people disagree

Yep, "the 1990s" is a more accurate way to describe the 1990s. Forget the metals, they have nothing to do with comics anyway.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:09 PM, valiantman said:
On 10/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yep.  It was dealer driven. To drive-up prices for SA. Same with Bronze. Dumb concepts when it you get down to it.  Focusing decades and/or events makes more sense.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:53 PM, MetalPSI said:

I've always considered Image/Valiant arriving on scene as copper but it seems like a lot of people disagree

Yep, "the 1990s" is a more accurate way to describe the 1990s. Forget the metals, they have nothing to do with comics anyway.

And rock music? Are those "ages" dealer driven? And fine art for that matter - those too? I think that culture definitely plays a role. (shrug)

On 11/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, divad said:

And rock music? Are those "ages" dealer driven? And fine art for that matter - those too? I think that culture definitely plays a role. (shrug)

I don't know what you're talking about, but when it comes to music, it's always decade driven.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, valiantman said:

I don't know what you're talking about, but when it comes to music, it's always decade driven.

This is true. Fortunately, we don't need to work out what to call the last two because there hasn't been any decent music made since 1997. 

On 11/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

This is true. Fortunately, we don't need to work out what to call the last two because there hasn't been any decent music made since 1997. 

I wanted to argue this point,  but the first major counterexample that comes to mind is Weird Al.  Who has done some awesome stuff that I love, but is as much commentary on the music as anything.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, OtherEric said:

I wanted to argue this point,  but the first major counterexample that comes to mind is Weird Al.  Who has done some awesome stuff that I love, but is as much commentary on the music as anything.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about him. Did some of his best work in the tenties. 

1849232938_DoctowWhoworkingItOut.gif.f455bf6f57391062cb3bc3c0509cdb1d.gif

On 11/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, divad said:

For rock, I'm not aware of "ages" just decades which is what makes the most sense for me and comics.  

On 11/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, valiantman said:

Greg,

You may know a lot about (Valiant) comics, but you know nothing about music.(shrug) But considering the other comments above, I'll just drop it. :wavingwhiteflag:

Edited by divad

On 11/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, divad said:

Greg,

You may know a lot about (Valiant) comics, but you know nothing about music.(shrug) But considering the other comments above, I'll just drop it. :wavingwhiteflag:

One of the signs of a completely unnecessary label is that it must be explained constantly to 90% of the people who hear it.

Whatever labels you might have for 1970s rock music, or 1980s rock music, or whatever you think matters besides decades are perfect examples of a waste of time that means nothing to the vast majority of people who will ever hear you rattle it off like a hipster who likes his moustaches and his coffee with Brylcreem.