• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell or wait in today's down market?
1 1

103 posts in this topic

If ur good with the profit u would get from selling sell.. it’s hard to gauge when to sell as some else said earlier if you have fomo of future value u might never sell.. if ur good with small profits sell; if your ok with selling to invest else where do it… personally I’ve never sold super hard for me to let go of my collectibles lol..

On 10/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, serling1978 said:

I've got a TTA 27 and 35 (both blue label, 4.0 and 4.5 respectively) to sell and with the current market I'm totally lost on when is the best time to sell. I figured the best time to sell would be at the time of the trailer but I haven't seen any evidence of the bump that has typically happened in this situations.  I'm sure it's a combination of fringe collectors bailing,  existing collectors getting out of that cycle,  the recession,  etc. But now I really can't decide if waiting will just result in lower returns. 

I know nobody has a magical crystal ball, but I'd love to hear and weigh any opinions.  Thanks!

The movie isn't released intil 2/17/23 , keys always due beat within the 30 days or so before a movie is released. 

One other option is to consign each book, to be offered separately,  with a Instagram comic dealer / "waffler" with a HIGH follower count. 

IG raffles of slabbed SA keys typically get full GPA average + a 10% to 15% "bump".

Raffler gets a small commission,  around 10% or so.

The raffler pays you via PP F & F or Zelle, which allows the funds to not be instantly reported to the gov't.

Even dealers & auction house in Texas will send you a 1099 fir any funds sent to you in the amount of $500 or more.

I'd look into IG rafflers now, if I had slabbed mega keys like those two with the movie approaching in a few months.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't be telling anyone to hold anything right now. 2c

On 10/28/2022 at 3:46 PM, darkstar said:

awful blanket advice

It's actually not even advice.  There's plenty of blanket advice being given in this thread, this is like the one post that is not even advice.    

I’ve been buying on the dip and they keep dipping...so I had to sell my crystal ball to cover the spread. 

That being said, it’s hard not to worry about a bust unlike anything we’ve ever seen before.   The exponential rise in values in 2021 was shocking.   The comic market has been a literal gold rush for years.  $1 bin fodder turning into $100+ books overnight.   Everyone polishing their turds at CCS before submitting.  It’s been a gravy train for everyone.  The question is whether or not the comic market is going to find a way to put out another album....or if the music is simply going to stop.

still some exceptions out there (i.e. Hulk 181 in 9.8 that just sold for :insane: $ and the known keys) plus a few others like the B&B 28 in 5.5 that realized a nice price on the link. Also a few other DC keys. But I agree seems to be a bit of a slow down w the holidays/inflation/rates, etc....and then there is the big heritage auctions coming up (looking forward to the B&B 28 in 8.5) 

Edited by g-man

On 10/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jaylam said:

If I purchased a book in 1980 for $0.50 and sold it today for $2,000 but 6 months ago copies in the same grade were selling for $3,000, did I just lose $1,000?

No, you gained $1,999.50 and the joy of having owned that book for six more months.

I rarely sell any books I collect and only have one of, but when I do, I consider how long it was mine to be part of what I "got" for it. Often outlasting the money, I find those memories to a nice consolation prize, particularly if I had the item for 20+ years, and even more so if I paid very little for it relative to the current value.

The market is down right now but nicer keys are still holding at pretty high values. IMO, the original poster can sell now and it would be a good bet to get good value from those books in the sale. 

IMO again, some big books will keep on climbing and are generally recession-proof. I do not put TTA keys in that category, and I do not believe they will go up in value quickly outside of another movie announcement. 

So the TL;DR is that if you need to cash out for some reason I would do it, but if you are ok with a long hold with a slow increase in rate of return you can safely hold and maybe get a little more later if that is your goal. 

On 10/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, Jaylam said:

If I purchased a book in 1980 for $0.50 and sold it today for $2,000 but 6 months ago copies in the same grade were selling for $3,000, did I just lose $1,000?

To put it in perspective....

You have $1000 less to spend on comics, but it’s possible the books you want are cheaper.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, Jaylam said:

That depends.  If someone asked you your net worth including collectibles would you value the comic at 50¢ or $2000?

On 10/30/2022 at 9:57 PM, thunsicker said:

That depends.  If someone asked you your net worth including collectibles would you value the comic at 50¢ or $2000?

If I were a business, I could claim a $1,000 depreciation on it if I at one time valued it at $3,000, right?

On 10/31/2022 at 12:17 AM, Jaylam said:

If I were a business, I could claim a $1,000 depreciation on it if I at one time valued it at $3,000, right?

As long as you paid the taxes on its increase from 50¢ to $3000.  My point is simply that if you consider comic collecting a hobby (something that money goes into) then you aren’t down anything.  If you consider comic collecting an investment you definitely are down from what your comics were worth.  My 401k is down about 18%.  But definitely above where I got in.  Does that mean my investments haven’t lost value?  Of course not.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, thunsicker said:

As long as you paid the taxes on its increase from 50¢ to $3000.  My point is simply that if you consider comic collecting a hobby (something that money goes into) then you aren’t down anything.  If you consider comic collecting an investment you definitely are down from what your comics were worth.  My 401k is down about 18%.  But definitely above where I got in.  Does that mean my investments haven’t lost value?  Of course not.

When values increase as much as they have, the line between hobby money and investment money gets blurred.  I put hobby money into my comics, but now the value of my collection is enough that if I was treating it rationally I would be selling it.  Inertia is powerful, though, so I don’t end up selling much.

This is a down market if you're comparing it to late-2020/2021. But it is way up compared with any other time. 90-day average on the #27 is $4100. If you take the covid-craziness out of the picture, that average is still higher than any other sale in GPA before covid. In fact, the last pre-covid sale for that book in January 2020 was for $2000. The latest sale was $3600!

So this is not a down market at all -- it is a very strong market that just isn't insane. (And insanity was never good for the hobby or sustainable.)