• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS 39 Advice Request re: Conserved v Universal

10 posts in this topic

Hi there! I've got a Tales of Suspense 39 which I'd like to get graded but it has some restoration. If I have the restoration removed to get the blue label, there would be a spine split resulting in a detached cover bringing the book in at a roughly estimated 2.0. If I leave it as-is, then it would grade an estimated 5.0 conserved. Anyone out there have any advice on which way I should go? Thanks in advance for your time!

- J

it probably depends to some extent what your goals are:  Display? collection? Sale? Pass to kids?  Investment?  A lot of the advice given will depend on what your priorities are.  DOes time matter?  Geography? 

If money matters then find out the prices of everything - resto removal, blue label 2.0, conserved 5.0 (this can be tough to estimate), submission cost, shipping to and from, insurance, the cost of sales and relevant possible taxes upon sale.  And then do a financial analysis the way you would for any other business asset.

If display is important I'd keep the conserved. 

THe more specific information you give to be people about the comic and your own prioriites the better advice can be given.

Thanks for the reply! I would say the most important thing here would be the eventual resale value. I'm not planning on selling it, but once it passes to my kid somewhere down the line, I'd like for him to have an option for the best possible outcome.

- J

You need to consider the type of work done to the book.  Certain spine repairs can garner a PURPLE restored label (which many people despise) or the GRAY conserved label.  And since the book has already had work done, perhaps there is more than just spine work?  And isn't removal of prior work ALSO restoration?  I'd say if the book looks good and structurally stable - leave it alone.

Just so I'm clear, it's currently a purple label restored book, correct? This really depends on how much work will be involved (as I'm sure there are other things to address than simply just removal of a spine repair - there always is)

I personally would have the restoration removed, as there is far more of a damaging stigma around that if you ever try to resell (if that is your end goal), and honestly spring for Conservation (which shouldn't be that much. I had a complete spine split cover repaired for a golden age book, with other repair work done, and it cost me a total of $270) since the stigma for 'blue' conserved books I feel is lessening and people are far more open to having those in their collection with higher grades.

Nope, it is currently ungraded. I brought it to a show for review and was told if I don't get the restoration removed it would go into the conserved grade. I'm leaning towards not having anything else done to it at this point, just get it graded as conserved. 

From a value perspective, the low grade blue label may be worth more. 

But personally, I wouldn't touch it more. You risk doing further damage to the book and restoration removal can really make a book ugly depending on what they do. 

I would keep it as is.