• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self restore Batman 200
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I don’t have the book in hand yet. My crazy plan was to chop the bottom 1/4” of the book and paste a clip over Robins knee, frame it and enjoy. Hate to think how many real quality books that mouse damaged, including this beauty. As low as grade I’m assuming it’ll bring is there any reason not to follow thru with my plan? 

C5238A2B-2D8D-4482-9CF8-7EF2E8BDBA40.jpeg

Batman 200, in that condition, is not a worthless book. MCS lists VG+ (4.5) raw copies at $115 apiece, and that's probably what yours would grade out at, give or take a grade or so.

What you are proposing to do will result in a book worth approximately zero dollars.

I can't tell you what to do with your collectibles, but I'm pretty sure there are better ways to put a cover on the wall, if that's your sole motivation, than destroying this copy.

That book is really not in bad shape. It's rare that any type of restoration would improve the value of a book and trimming is the most harshly penalized form of restoration (in terms of how it effects desirability and value).

As mentioned,  trimming off the bottom of the book would make it essentially worthless. 

On 10/30/2022 at 3:03 PM, RadishRadio said:

I don’t have the book in hand yet. My crazy plan was to chop the bottom 1/4” of the book and paste a clip over Robins knee, frame it and enjoy. Hate to think how many real quality books that mouse damaged, including this beauty. As low as grade I’m assuming it’ll bring is there any reason not to follow thru with my plan?

Other than permanently destroying a book just to rid of a small flaw?

On 10/30/2022 at 9:32 PM, RadishRadio said:

Thank you for the feedback. I understand. Seems to make more sense to bag it “as is”. I don’t want to take it out of circulation. Was too nice in spite of the damage to pass up. 

This is the way. Otherwise, ya start by trimming one damaged book “for display only” and the next thing you know you’re doing decoupage on flowerpots with PCH and Timelys. I’ve seen it; it’s ugly. 

Do it.

I have a low grade Hulk 180 that I got 35 years ago as a kid. 0.5 all day. Everytime I look at it I'm tempted to just cut out that first appearance panel and frame it.

I can understand your urge.

Full honesty… The great spine, corners, clarity, color, and interior white pages blinded me. Then I got hung up on the hole in Robin’s knee and never noticed the giant holes in the bottom of the book until I paid up. Hit like a gut punch. I paid out $65 for what I thought could still be a solid FN copy. It was a lesson I needed to learn. It’s not easy buying online, because if I was holding her that never would have happened. I’ll keep it whole and “as-is” as a reminder. Like my wife, who I also met online.