• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mice bites. How much of a grade bump for this?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ulrick said:

Let me formulate this in another way.

That damage alone, would it be consider moderate or major?

Thanks.

All of the answers you've gotten so far are on point.  Grading is just as much art as science.  And the over-all aesthetic of an otherwise high grade book would be hurt much more by that damage than a book in the 4.0-8.0 range - thus the requests to see the whole book and try to assess what that flaw would do to the actual book in question.

Also, from the pictures you are showing, there is foxing or pre-foxing on that paper. So your initial assessment of "otherwise 9.4" is dubious at best.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ulrick said:

Let me formulate this in another way.

That damage alone, would it be consider moderate or major?

Thanks.

As others have said, it depends on the overall condition of the book. 

If the book is otherwise NM, it could have a significant impact.

If your book is otherwise VG, these defects would be more permissable in that range and the impact could be minimal. 

Without seeing the entire book, it's really impossible to say. 

If it was not on sale and would be attractive to anyone in the hobby i would gladly put the picture of the whole book.

Other than a small wear on the button right corner and that Mice bite damage, the need for a clean and press, that book is mint.

Just trying to figure out what kind of a offer i should make. It's currently price between a 7.0 and a 7.5

Problem is, there's a gap of 4000$ between the 2. 500$ between 6.5 and 7.0, and 1250$ between a 7.5 and a 8.0.

That's the dilemma.

Thank you all for your time

Sincerely.

On 10/31/2022 at 12:10 PM, Ulrick said:

If it was not on sale and would be attractive to anyone in the hobby i would gladly put the picture of the whole book.

Other than a small wear on the button right corner and that Mice bite damage, the need for a clean and press, that book is mint.

Just trying to figure out what kind of a offer i should make. It's currently price between a 7.0 and a 7.5

Problem is, there's a gap of 4000$ between the 2. 500$ between 6.5 and 7.0, and 1250$ between a 7.5 and a 8.0.

That's the dilemma.

Thank you all for your time

Sincerely.

We ask for whole-book pictures to evaluate grades because comic book grading isn't a system where specific faults have specific point value adjustments. With that said, if this book is priced like a 7.0 or 7.5, it is probably overpriced.

Also, I really don't think this is a "mint, except for..." book. To start with, I assume that third picture is a damaged interior page. It's hard to tell with your ridiculous cropping. If so, is it the only one? Regardless of that, despite your cropping, I see areas that look like light foxing or tanning. In this front-cover image, at bottom left, around the CCA logo and the word "Authority":

image.png.07f37ddd8335ac33b899fce445591bf3.png

And here, in most of the field, but especially just above center and again at bottom-left:

image.png.3374d3db2bb3189fa85e0cbe8ee91ed3.png

How much that's likely to affect the grade depends on, frankly, the rest of the book. Bottom line is that any number provided on the basis of these tiny corner images alone is only a hair better than guesswork; that's not how grading works. But I am certain that this copy is an attractive book that presents very well for its grade; however, technical grades are not -- and are not intended to be -- a measure of a book's aesthetic appeal.

Edited by Qalyar

On 10/30/2022 at 6:11 PM, Lightning55 said:

It would likely depend on what the comic graded generally.  If it is a high grade comic beyond the damage, that would be a significant drop.  If VG already, maybe not so much.  If you provide full images, you might get better feedback.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:38 AM, Qalyar said:

We ask for whole-book pictures to evaluate grades because comic book grading isn't a system where specific faults have specific point value adjustments. With that said, if this book is priced like a 7.0 or 7.5, it is probably overpriced.

Also, I really don't think this is a "mint, except for..." book. To start with, I assume that third picture is a damaged interior page. It's hard to tell with your ridiculous cropping. If so, is it the only one? Regardless of that, despite your cropping, I see areas that look like light foxing or tanning. In this front-cover image, at bottom left, around the CCA logo and the word "Authority":

image.png.07f37ddd8335ac33b899fce445591bf3.png

And here, in most of the field, but especially just above center and again at bottom-left:

image.png.3374d3db2bb3189fa85e0cbe8ee91ed3.png

How much that's likely to affect the grade depends on, frankly, the rest of the book. Bottom line is that any number provided on the basis of these tiny corner images alone is only a hair better than guesswork; that's not how grading works. But I am certain that this copy is an attractive book that presents very well for its grade; however, technical grades are not -- and are not intended to be -- a measure of a book's aesthetic appeal.

^^