• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age White Pages
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure this may have been covered before in the forum but, I haven't been unable to find it. Anyway, can anyone tell me more about how White Pages influence Silver Age comic desirability and value ?

I was doing a periodic valuation exercise on my mid to high grade collection and could see a marked drop in current market values, however, much of this data relates to Off White/White and below. I do note that Heritage Auctions often sell comics with White Pages probably due to their screening process and they often sell these above the general database values. 

I would therefore ask, how much does White Pages actually enhance the value of a vintage comic. 10%, 20%, 50% ?  I'm sure someone must have done a statistical assessment in the past.

Thank you.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:53 AM, Colin Nash said:

I'm sure this may have been covered before in the forum but, I haven't been unable to find it. Anyway, can anyone tell me more about how White Pages influence Silver Age comic desirability and value ?

I was doing a periodic valuation exercise on my mid to high grade collection and could see a marked drop in current market values, however, much of this data relates to Off White/White and below. I do note that Heritage Auctions often sell comics with White Pages probably due to their screening process and they often sell these above the general database values. 

I would therefore ask, how much does White Pages actually enhance the value of a vintage comic. 10%, 20%, 50% ?  I'm sure someone must have done a statistical assessment in the past.

Thank you.

oh g_d, you just opened a can of worms. i'm sure several people i have on ignore will shortly write their theses here. 

based on no statistical research, and about 9 years of collecting mostly SA white page books, i can tell you that white pages enhance the value of SA semi-key and key books by about a half point in grade. so an x-men 1 7.0 with white pages is worth about what a 7.5 with OW or C/OW pages is worth, more or less. 

this is not a hard and firm rule, but since white pages are hard to find on alot of SA stuff, and downright rare on certain books (AF15, showcase 4), they are always more desirable. as someone once said, there are no collectors who focus on cream page books. many collectors don't care about page color. and then there is a significant cohort of collectors like myself and many others here, who focus mainly on white page books from this period. 

Thanks for the notification -- on average, I might spend roughly 10% more the books I buy, but white pages are only part of that equation...I also focus on wrap, centering, color, brightness, and writing/date stamps.  If the book has it all, I will bid higher than GPA says I might.  So if a book runs $10k or so, I might bid $11-12k.

Dan

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it.

I agree that WP is not the only factor to consider here. Good presentation is also fundamental for sure.

Re-submission to get a higher grade is a common practice but, to get one coming back with WP replacing OW/W is a bit worrying and further dents our confidence in what CGC are doing nowadays.

The + half a grade for WP is a good starting point and I will apply this to my own collection.

Colin