• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age Aquaman
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I think because like the GA in Adventure it was basically the same story lines, like Batman and Superman. Using his ability to talk to sea creatures to nab pirates and smugglers and other criminals escaping on water. Always seemed to end up with their boat being wrapped up by a giant octopus, or speared by 10 marlin or rammed by a whale and the coast guard saying "well done". Not sure but can't remember Atlantis, or any of the other type of threats that regularly turned up after SC 30.

Unlike Marvel where Everything starts or reboots (Human Torch)  after one date, DC rebooted it's line up in waves depending on editors. Batman after Tec 327, GA in a later B & B. Wonder Woman with Andru coming on board (although that could be argued many ways)

On 11/1/2022 at 11:32 PM, Kris Keckler said:

I have come to believe through a long time researching that Adventure Comics 229 is Aquamans first silver age appearance.  Does anyone know why it isn't noted as such on cgc's graded book slabs?

I'm curious why #229?  I'm guessing you're timing this to the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash.  But it looks like to me that Adventure #228 already  appeared on the stands after Showcase #4.  But the bigger point I think is the one made by @Terry E. Gibbs i.e. the appearance of Showcase #4 by itself didn't change the style of the other books published immediately thereafter.  We've had other threads over the years here "guessing" what was the first Silver Age Superman (Weisinger becomes editor?), Batman (Schwartz New Look?), Wonder Woman (first post H.G. Peters art?), Green Arrow (Kirby?) etc. but those are always going to be guesses, since the people producing the comics at the time didn't think they were suddenly working in a different age, and probably had little awareness of what the Schwartz team was up to in Showcase #4.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:32 PM, Pops '48 Comics said:

I have come to believe through a long time researching that Adventure Comics 229 is Aquamans first silver age appearance.  Does anyone know why it isn't noted as such on cgc's graded book slabs?

How could you possibly devote more than a minute's research and come to that conclusion? There's nothing special about Aquaman's appearance in Adventure Comics 229.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:32 PM, Pops '48 Comics said:

Does anyone know why it isn't noted as such on cgc's graded book slabs?

Because it's not. Adventure Comics 260 is the best candidate for Aquaman's first Silver Age appearance because it contains a new and slightly different origin story for Aquaman.

:preach: