• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHHOTING FOR A REGISTRY AWARD
1 1

15 posts in this topic

You've got to have goals right?! I've been a collector of numismatics for decades and recently got into comics. I've had a lot of fun on the NGC graded coin registry and won dozens of awards there, now I'm trying to put together a high-quality comic book collection and build a formidable registry custom set. Over the past year I've gone to several ComicCons and visited numerous comic book stores and acquired some great comics and met a ton of fun folks! I've used my primitive HTML and Photoshop skills to create what I think is a visually appealing registry set and I've taken the time to add front and back photos of each comic along with a brief description and registry stats. I'm hoping to someday take the Registry Award for best custom set or best presented set. The link to my set is below and if you have the time give it a look (feedback is appreciated... good and bad).

Have fun collecting and hunting down those elusive comics!

THE UNIVERSAL COMIC COLLECTION - Custom Set (collectors-society.com)

I looked through most of your set again.  I really like that you have front/back pics of the books.  I also like that you did some HTML in the set descriptions.

I’m not a judge but If anything I think that you need to put a little more into the set description… why did you start putting THIS set together?  What makes it special, etc.  other than saying it’s the ‘biggest and baddest’ tell everyone why.

I also think you need to add more to the book descriptions other than just the statistical info.  Where/when did you get that book. Did you buy it or submit it yourself, is it your first (or second, third, etc) copy.  Tell people why this book matters to you.

I think you have the really hard stuff done… the set is there and pics are loaded… I’d just start with the first book and work your way through each and share a bit more about that book and maybe yourself. You’ll probably end up doing this a few times and always finding something new and fun to add.

Good luck and you can DM me any time if you need anything.

Please do not take offense at my being direct and to the point; Glib Hyperbolic Social Media Text Bites for Description and Set Goals historically is not sought after criteria for a CGC Registry award.  Your text (image in your case) shows zero actual love of Comics, merely callous shallow twitter type style lacking all substance.

IMHO you need to completely re-architect what you have to come from the heart. 

Apologies for my bluntness.

edo-font

edo-font

BTW: I'm not very good extracting my thoughts or feelings to my writings. One of the reasons a custom sets like mine will never win anything.
https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=25412

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, MAR1979 said:

BTW: I'm not very good extracting my thoughts or feelings to my writings. One of the reasons a custom sets like mine will never win anything.

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=25412

Dang it. Now you've got me trying to determine what eligible books you're still missing... :P

But to the point of the thread, the Registry Awards are intended to show off collectors' love for their books and the hobby. At the risk of seeming a little zen, if your set looks like its purpose is to try to win, it will not win.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:47 PM, Qalyar said:

Dang it. Now you've got me trying to determine what eligible books you're still missing... :P

But to the point of the thread, the Registry Awards are intended to show off collectors' love for their books and the hobby. At the risk of seeming a little zen, if your set looks like its purpose is to try to win, it will not win.

Missing far more than I possess  :)  

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated! (thumbsu To elaborate on some of it: the purpose of my set is not to win a registry award (although I do hope to, it is rewarding), it is to showcase my favorite comics in fun, visually cool way... no more, no less. Yes, this is "a bunch of random comics", MY favorite comics and that is why it is a custom set. I don't believe comic collecting should have parameters or limits, collect the stories you enjoy and the art that you appreciate! Lastly, the text in the set is meant to be humorous, sorry if it comes off as "Glib Hyperbolic Social Media Text Bites" that is "merely callous shallow twitter type style lacking all substance" :). My goal with the set is to have fun, not express to my fellow collectors my inner most feelings about comicbooks. We all have our styles and ways of expressing our love of comicbooks, this is mine. Have fun collecting and good luck finding those elusive comics, hope you all find some great deals!

MAR1979: the title is completely accurate; I am shooting for a registry award... but that's not the purpose of my set. I want to create a visually stimulating custom set that displays my favorite comics and hopefully it will someday be worthy of a registry award. I'm having fun doing it and enjoying meeting all the fellow collectors, writers and artists along the way! 

On 11/4/2022 at 5:57 AM, MARVELSKI said:

My goal with the set is to have fun, not express to my fellow collectors my inner most feelings about comicbooks.

With the books I really care about I write as much detail as I can about the book and primarily the hunt, as well as my (nearly) inner most feelings lol.  As my set has evolved I tend to forget sometimes the effort that went into, and occasionally it’s my set itself that reminds me where I got a book or two.  

Here’s an example…

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicView.aspx?PeopleSetComicID=1344174

To each his/her own (thumbsu

Edited by Iconic1s

The great part of Custom Sets is how wide a net they can cast on which books to include, so you do you and jam pack it with everything you love. Unfortunately those will make most people just scratch their heads and think "okay, you listed everything in your collection...but why should I care again?"

I myself prefer a hyper focused, weird, and very niche goal oriented custom sets, like thusly:

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=28969