• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS to CGC

7 posts in this topic

I have McFarlane Spider-Man 1 Platinum CBCS 9.2 that I’m considering sending to CGC to get his signature on, but I’m unsure if/how the grade would be effected. It’s a CBCS 9.2, but the imperfections to the spine on the back black cover might knock it down a grade or two imo. The book is kinda wavy too that could benefit from a press as well. Thoughts? TIA!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First things first, it's really hard to evaluate slabbed books. In particular, it's often tough to know if apparent "waviness" actually represents wiggly paper or whether it's just subtle rippling in one of the layers of plastic (or even an optical illusion entirely). It's also a lot harder to figure out what's going on with defects when you have limited camera angles available.

I don't quite think I know what's going on in the top corner, which does make me wonder what this book really looks like in hand and deslabbed. But assuming the case and camera aren't really trying to fool us, there's no way I would give this book a 9.2. This book has a pretty thick cover, and CGC is usually (but not always) pretty tolerant of cracked ink along the edge of the fold, because that's how folding ink-coated cardstock works. But this isn't affecting the edge of the book, it's just a bunch of color lift along the spine on the back cover.

I've got a book with a heavily inked cardstock cover that has a couple blunted corners but not anywhere near this level of color loss, and it came back an 8.5. I don't think I'd expect anything higher than that here. Again, unless these pictures end up not representing the actual state of the book outside of its encapsulation.

The camera isn’t creating an optical illusion - the white area along the spine is really missing the black of the cover. I agree this book would probably be around 8.5. The front is pretty cleaned, just the spine with the missing black ink. 
Thanks for your input. I’ll keep as is then. 

I have this book in a CGC 9.2 and the only defect I can see through the slab is a tiny bit of color loss above the Marvel Comics logo / top corner.

BUT if your book was my book, Id probably cross grade it and let the dice fall where they may. 

If you ever decide to sell it as is, it probably wouldnt sell unless you just posted a front pic. (not cool BTW)