• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic thief caught at Berkely show!

32 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2022 at 12:11 AM, silverweb said:

Did he suffer any legal consequences? Is he banned from all future Berkeley shows?

He is of course banned from all future Berkeley Shows. Alan posted his pic on Instagram and shared with other dealers. Every dealer in the room saw him. I told the local shops. He will have a tough time doing this again in California (he’s from Nevada). 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Depending on the value of what he stole, probably not much. I know if I were the promoter, I would not only ban him but put a large picture of him at the admittance table…

I am the promoter (with Marc from House of Comics) and I work the door myself, so there’s no chance he’ll ever get in.

Honestly I don’t think he’d try it anyway. He was shaking and crying and begging us not to kick his or call the cops. 

That envelope in his hands was an inch thick stack of cash. He was begging us to let him pay triple for the books he stole. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, silverweb said:

I see his black bag next to his hip. Wondering what was his modus operandi?

He was buying some books and sticking some books in his backpack. When we searched his backpack we found the books and worked out who the dealers were, then asked them if he had paid - some he had paid for and many he had not.

On 11/21/2022 at 6:02 PM, wormboy said:

He will have a tough time doing this again in California (he’s from Nevada). 

And, on his way home after being caught, he stopped at a shop about 30 minutes east of Sacramento and told the owner, "yeah, I was going to go to the Berkeley show today but decided to come buy from you instead." Seriously.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:10 PM, wormboy said:

He was buying some books and sticking some books in his backpack. When we searched his backpack we found the books and worked out who the dealers were, then asked them if he had paid - some he had paid for and many he had not.

This violates his 4th amendment rights 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, Kevin76 said:

Correct if done by government or law enforcement. When done by comic book dealers at a con it is in effect battery.  Folks do keep in mind the law is the law! Unless you have serious money.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/23/2022 at 8:13 AM, Kevin76 said:

None of the dealers are government officials. These are private citizens. Once he’s busted and he knows it in order to avoid possible police involvement he consented  to opening his backpack. Potentially construed as vigilante justice and mob rule? 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:13 AM, Kevin76 said:

On 11/23/2022 at 9:02 AM, Cobbledclam said:

vigilante justice

Yea. We're COMICBOOK fans.  Vigilante justice for sure!  :devil:

On 1/1/2023 at 9:38 PM, Cobbledclam said:

Arya Stark

I was thinking more like Superman or Batman.  Something a little lighter than killing your offspring and then trying to feed them to you before slitting your throat...  that's DARK.