• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess Who?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Years ago when I wasn't a full-time chauffer for my daughters, running them to their sports activities, we had a lot of game threads: recognizing titles by their fonts or artists by how they drew horses or BZ making us guess a book with a sliver of the cover, etc. Today, the Gold Connections is just about the only such thread going so I'd like to try another one.

The concept is easy: Post a panel or two from anything Golden Age and let's see how long it takes others to guess 1) WHO the artist is and 2) Bonus for the strip the panels came from.

Not sure how viable this'll be but I always have books lying around I can use to create guesses. I shouldn't be the only one posting panels either! This is a community thread.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, Dr. Love said:

Wild guess, Fred Meagher

Correct!

That's Meagher on Tom Mix, specifically issue # 9. It's Tom swinging in those top tier panels. See the full page below -

1390971278_TomMix9.thumb.jpg.beafeecc2111d0062b162f3e87871882.jpg

274405470_TomMix9FinalPage.thumb.jpg.96b1efda61b877262303dd654196f85d.jpg

If no one posts another, I'll load one up tonight.

Edited by Scrooge

On 11/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, buttock said:

I ended up looking this one up and never would have guessed.

Yeah, I left the clue in there for those wanting to dig and find out the sneak way.

I am used to his work during this time period so I could ID him fairly well.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, buttock said:

It's almost distinct for a lack of distinctness.

One of the traits I get from GT at that time are his hands: strong sinewy powerful and square and his characters have square jaws with smaller piercing eyes as well.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:22 PM, BOOT said:

mystery1.jpg.9339f62eca524c8fc6a2cd6cf58a1243.jpg

mystery2.jpg.5d6d74b858a6d1b6be6795eddb797759.jpg

mystery3.jpg.83993c454f6e3d2abe8d0ec3ba858053.jpg

mystery4.thumb.jpg.b80165c86304d730d30189eb81d071bc.jpg

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but the most common element I see in all of them -- and it's not at all his typical style, but would fit very early on -- is Joe Kubert.  The problem is, every panel and moreso every face in every panel, looks like a different artist. 

On 11/27/2022 at 5:11 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Wild Guess: Dave Berg.

I don't dislike it as a guess but what I remember of Berg on war stories is that his style is a little more tedious / close / fussy and he would never have drawn that bottom panel with the large main figure of the G.I.

The art gives me a vibe from Ace or Farrell whose artists I am less familiar with.

Like Buttock, probably way off track.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:27 PM, Scrooge said:

I don't dislike it as a guess but what I remember of Berg on war stories is that his style is a little more tedious / close / fussy and he would never have drawn that bottom panel with the large main figure of the G.I.

The art gives me a vibe from Ace or Farrell whose artists I am less familiar with.

Like Buttock, probably way off track.

It could be .  .  . I was thinking Frontline Combat because it looked a little cheeky, but I really have no idea.

Don't keep us in suspense too long, @BOOT!