• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best ways to protect yourself when purchasing high priced comics online.

4 posts in this topic

I've had great transactions on the CGC boards, buying expensive books from sellers, as well as on eBay.

But I'm seeing some nice listing on Facebook Marketplace. I'm used to using PayPal, but some sellers are asking for Google Pay or alternate payment forms, and I'm not sure which ones would still protect me as a buyer, etc.

Essentially, would you shy away from these listings, or what red flags do you notice that would keep you away. I just don't want to get scammed. Thanks!

Edited by Kaz
Spelling

For transparency, I've never bought a book off Facebook or Instagram.

I wouldn't buy anything from a stranger with a form of payment that doesn't provide protection. 

Now, if it's a dealer with a good reputation of even sellers on here I've known through reputation, I've happily sent checks as a fee free payment. 

I would offer to cover the 3% fee if it was a book I wanted enough. 

exactly...

On 11/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, KCOComics said:

For transparency, I've never bought a book off Facebook or Instagram.

I wouldn't buy anything from a stranger with a form of payment that doesn't provide protection. 

Now, if it's a dealer with a good reputation of even sellers on here I've known through reputation, I've happily sent checks as a fee free payment. 

I would offer to cover the 3% fee if it was a book I wanted enough.