• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping from Europe - What about import fees ?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi there ! French customer here :)

I have a serious question here, since this will be my very first submission.

I have completed eveyrthing, I will send 55 cards for a total order of 2.6k$, and the total declared value of my cards are 20k$ (yep, that's a lot). But just before paying I saw something mentioning import fees ... and I freaked out a bit

To make it clear : will I have to pay import fees ? I guess it's yes and I will have to pay them once the cards will come back in Europe, but will it be on the 2.6k$ purely related to grading, or is the declared value of my cards also taken into account (so basically 20k$+2.6k$ = 22.6k$) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

Cheers !

• Administrator

Hello @BorderLanes,

If you are submitting from outside the US, the burden of proof as to where the books shipped from falls to you. CGC recommends that you visit your local customs office before shipping your submission and explain your intentions for these cards— that they are yours and are being sent to the US for evaluation only. They will provide you with a form that should accompany your card submission, and, when the cards are returned with this form, the package will not be called into question. If we receive a submission without this form, we will return the cards with any claim stickers that were affixed to the original box. This can sometimes work as proof of where the cards shipped from. The value that we will declare on the package is the amount paid for the grading of the cards, and they will be noted from the country of origin goods being returned, shipped to the US for evaluation only. Return shipping to locations outside the US requires special duties and shipping charges.

To see current return shipping fees for international shipments, click here.

Hi Matt !

Thanks for your answer :)

Actually I am shipping cards but I guess it's exactly the same for comic books. For your information, my order has the following # : CGC0567459653

Now, I have another problem. I called FedEx and they told me that they would not recognised any temporary exportations and that I would not benifit from any "import fee free returns scheme" (sorry if my translation is not perfect, it's a direct translation from the french just to say that I should not pay any import fees on objects that come back to me after being evaluated) and hence will have to pay import tax on the declared value of my cards (20.200$) + your grading services (2.590$) no matter which carrier I choose to send the cards to you.

Obviously I don't want to pay import fees based on the declared value of my cards.

Can you please tell me what precisely is your policy for the return ? Which international carrier would you recommand me to use to send you the cards ? And what will you declare on the parcels for the return ?

Thanks again ! Cheers !

Edited by BorderLanes

On 11/7/2022 at 3:46 PM, MattM CS said:

If we receive a submission without this form, we will return the cards with any claim stickers that were affixed to the original box. This can sometimes work as proof of where the cards shipped from. The value that we will declare on the package is the amount paid for the grading of the cards, and they will be noted from the country of origin goods being returned, shipped to the US for evaluation only. Return shipping to locations outside the US requires special duties and shipping charges.

Also the more I read this part the less I understand it. Can you confirm that if you receive cards WITHOUT the form, you will :

- put claim stickers on the return shipping box (what are these stickers and what are their purposes ?)

- declare ONLY the grading of the cards, in my case 2.590$

- mention that the cards inside where shipped to the US for evaluation only before returning back to the country/owner of origin.

Also what do you mean about special duties and shipping charges ? In my order I paid 200$ for the return, do I have to pay for something else ?

Thanks !

Up !

Just a short message to tell you that I am waiting your answers about all the process of shipping from Europe/France because it is pretty unclear so far, especially because temporary exportations are not feasible with FedEx and they would not recognised such a thing from another carrier.

I really need to know what you expect in terms of documents and what you will do/declare for the return, otherwise I will have to cancel my order.

Thanks @MattM CS !

Edited by BorderLanes

Hello @CrystalM CS

Thanks for your answer, even though the entire process for a non-US resident to send you cards is definitely not clear at all. I have contacted the CGC support in the meantime and I got the EXACT same answer than the one received here from @MattM CS ... hence not helpful at all. So it would be good to update that copy/paste message by clarifying in details the process, especially in terms of documents needed because maybe you don't know but FedEx do NOT proceed to temporary exportations by themselves.

Anyway, on the parcels you will sent me back, I hope that there will be a form (or something) mentioning that it is a return of a temporary exportation, right ?

Because I have hired someone, a forwarder, who filled a temporary exportation form (put on the FedEx parcel, which you should receive Tuesday) to send you the cards, so I hope you do the same for me to not pay import fees on the value of my own cards. Because as I said I am okay to pay import fees on your grading services (here $2,590), but not on the declared value of my own cards (here $20,200).

Thanks in advance for your answer.