• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why just "Marvel" custom labels?? Doesn't seem very custom to me that DC, Image,Boom a whole host of popular indies and genres like horror, Sci fi or romance get excluded from special labeling!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

They have some non-Marvel labels from time to time.  No DC, Image, Boom or other major publishers, but cool to see something different.  I really liked the themed ones that CGC had a competition for (at some art school as I recall).  It would be fantastic if they held an open competition for theme based labels again.  I'd probably ask one of my favorite artists for a "commission" to submit as a label!!  I might do a few myself...

Welcome to the Boards @Myxzeus

DC and Image would make sense.  As much as it would be cool to see a PCH or Romance custom label, I imagine there isn't much money in for it, from CGCs perspective. 

Fewer copies with many already graded. I doubt the collectors hanging on to the raws would rush to get them graded because of a custom label.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:10 AM, Myxzeus said:

Seems there is no fair play here. Just MARVEL play.

Do you think it’s possible that Cgc would have to work out different contract deals with each company but each company has different licensing terms and conditions and prices that might be harder to work out, or just not fit with what Cgc (or DC or Image) is trying to do?

or do you just automatically assume it’s some sort of favoritism and Cgc are thoughtlessly choosing to fanboy over marvel instead of making more money by working with the other companies too?

Edited by revat

The only custom label I thought has ever looked decent is the Hobgoblin #238 riff. However to my eyes it works on only that 1 single book. Its the sole custom label in my collection and I do not foresee that ever changing.

If a slab has a custom label i don't consider it a option for purchase and will wait for one with the normal label.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/8/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mrs. Tux said:

Maybe DC won't allow them to? Maybe DC doesn't want to be associated with CGC? hm

That isn't it at all (as there have been Batman and a Harley Quinn custom labels for special events)...it's just money.

DC is happy to license out its imagery to countless products out there, the only thing stopping CGC from doing the same is agreeing to their terms/costs (which I think might be cost prohibitive on such small scale limited run of labels for CGC)

The thing I don't get is why doesn't CGC offer generic/public domain custom labels for specific things on the label that they don't have to pay to license - seems like a no-brainer to create a few in-house custom labels that they retain full profits from. 

For example, why not offer a special Seduction Of The Innocent (SOTI) label we could get on any of our PCH/Crime books that are associated with that event? hm 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, Sauce Dog said:

The thing I don't get is why doesn't CGC offer generic/public domain custom labels for specific things on the label that they don't have to pay to license - seems like a no-brainer to create a few in-house custom labels that they retain full profits from. 

For example, why not offer a special Seduction Of The Innocent (SOTI) label we could get on any of our PCH/Crime books that are associated with that event? hm 

This is the correct answer/question.

GREAT POINT

On 11/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, Sauce Dog said:

along with this, one could probably also have some 'patriotic' themed labels like US, Canada, UK (and later other countries) that CGC could custom design without any trademark issues.  I'm sure plenty of folks would consider a Captain America comic with US flag label or WOlverine comic with the maple leaf label.  At least give it a try.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, lostboys said:

My ASM 252 has a Secret Wars 8 custom label and it looks awesome!

One of my favorite slabs.

Seeing that label now for the first time it would look nice on SW8 and ASM252 also possibly Peter Parker 90 or MTU 141 as it fits in with the issue content.  For pretty much any other book that custom would be an avoid

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, MAR1979 said:

The only custom label I thought has ever looked decent is the Hobgoblin #238 riff. However to my eyes it works on only that 1 single book. Its the sole custom label in my collection and I do not foresee that ever changing.

If a slab has a custom label i don't consider it a option for purchase and will wait for one with the normal label.

It is great that everyone has different tastes and preferences - but I too avoid custom labels and tend to have them re-slabbed for standard universal label if I land one at auction (most often because deal was too good to pass up).     Fo me, the CGC slab and universal blue label provide a level of maturity (can’t think of a better word) and elevated stature for the book and the collection.     “Hey we have taken this silly childish thing you collect and made it respectable”.    Putting another character  image on top of a comic book cover that often is showcasing that same character just diminishes that for me….and seems really redundant.    Not too mention it is visually disruptive to my display wall…..

But to each is own.   Hopefully someone will love to own a IH181 with a CVA designation and Wolverine custom label when I decide to upgrade.   

On 11/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, DC# said:

It is great that everyone has different tastes and preferences - but I too avoid custom labels and tend to have them re-slabbed for standard universal label if I land one at auction (most often because deal was too good to pass up).     Fo me, the CGC slab and universal blue label provide a level of maturity (can’t think of a better word) and elevated stature for the book and the collection.     “Hey we have taken this silly childish thing you collect and made it respectable”.    Putting another character  image on top of a comic book cover that often is showcasing that same character just diminishes that for me….and seems really redundant.    Not too mention it is visually disruptive to my display wall…..

But to each is own.   Hopefully someone will love to own a IH181 with a CVA designation and Wolverine custom label when I decide to upgrade.   

70lzdw.jpg