• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attempting to collect DC Showcase 1-104 in 9.0 or better!
7 7

341 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I have approved this post.  However, it is not ok to turn this into a want to buy thread.  You can share the books you acquire but, do not ask forum members if they have books you are missing.   We do have a special section for that, which will be visible to you when you reach 50 posts.  

Mike

On 11/8/2022 at 9:09 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have approved this post.  However, it is not ok to turn this into a want to buy thread.  You can share the books you acquire but, do not ask forum members if they have books you are missing.   We do have a special section for that, which will be visible to you when you reach 50 posts.  

Mike

Oh gotcha, I was wondering if there was a thread for that, noted! I will just post my finds here then!

On 11/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, KCOComics said:

Good luck with your journey.  

Conventional wisdom has been to buy the big keys first since the prices historically go up. 

The big keys in that grade will be really tough! 

Yeah i would agree but in these cases it would be insane lol I have no idea how i would even start to tackle those.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:33 PM, FloridianDemon said:

Yeah i would agree but in these cases it would be insane lol I have no idea how i would even start to tackle those.

Oh yeah! 

Truthfully, I can't remember the last time a NM SC4 turned up.  No recent sales on GPA, but I imagine it would be WELL into 6 figures. 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:01 AM, KCOComics said:

Oh yeah! 

Truthfully, I can't remember the last time a NM SC4 turned up.  No recent sales on GPA, but I imagine it would be WELL into 6 figures. 

Even #6, that book is scarce as it is, in a 9.0? Pfffft. But im determined! and Im 26 so i got time! 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Qalyar said:

All of the early books will be simply brutal to find in 9.0+:

• Showcase 1: one 9.0, none higher
  • Showcase 2: two 8.5, none higher
  • Showcase 3: one 9.0, none higher
  • Showcase 4: 8 books at 9.0 or higher with Universal labels, but ... erm ... yeah.
  • Showcase 5: one 9.4, none higher (and nothing else above an 8.5)

After that, it gradually starts to get a little easier, although these will remain extremely elusive, extremely expensive books for a long way into the run. By the time you're into the late-1960s/1970s issues, some of the minor keys (Spectre covers, 79, 97) will still be fairly spendy objects (but nothing like the early books), and ... whatever you call the opposite of a key, like #81, will be tough to simply find. But at least they exist.

Yes. once you hit 30 on onward it isnt too crazy. I have multiple leads on high grade 61's and such. Thats why im clearing out the higher issue numbers 1st since as you said, they are scarce as hell. the 66 for example. 2, thats it. Even the most impressive showcase collection i saw only has it in a 8.5.  but thats the fun!

• Showcase 4: 8 books at 9.0 or higher with Universal labels, but ... erm ... yeah.

After that, it gradually starts to get a little easier, although these will remain extremely elusive, extremely expensive books for a long way into the run. By the time you're into the late-1960s/1970s issues, some of the minor keys (Spectre covers, 79, 97) will still be fairly spendy objects (but nothing like the early books), and ... whatever you call the opposite of a key, like #81, will be tough to simply find. But at least they exist.

right now there is a #80 at a 9.6 coming up im hoping to grab in a few a weeks

I'll give you my opinion... and if you can't trust the opinion of a stranger on the internet,  who can you trust? 

It's going to be really hard to get those issues in high grade. There are few available and allot of demand. So when they pop up,  deep pocketed collectors will be ready. 

That means, for you to compete you have to have the liquidity to spend big bucks relativity quickly. And that's hard for most of us. 

For those early issues,  I would make it a priority to get in the door early with the nicest copies you can. 3.5, 4.0, 2.0

Then you can focus on upgrading as opportunities present themselves.  Sell your copy to help fund the next. 

If you end up with a complete run,  with the big issues being G and the later issues being NM, I think all of us would applaud you. Because that's a huge undertaking. 

I know I would love to own SC1, 4 or 6 in any grade. 

I'll give you my opinion... and if you can't trust the opinion of a stranger on the internet,  who can you trust? 

It's going to be really hard to get those issues in high grade. There are few available and allot of demand. So when they pop up,  deep pocketed collectors will be ready. 

That means, for you to compete you have to have the liquidity to spend big bucks relativity quickly. And that's hard for most of us. 

For those early issues,  I would make it a priority to get in the door early with the nicest copies you can. 3.5, 4.0, 2.0

Then you can focus on upgrading as opportunities present themselves.  Sell your copy to help fund the next. 

If you end up with a complete run,  with the big issues being G and the later issues being NM, I think all of us would applaud you. Because that's a huge undertaking. 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:07 AM, KCOComics said:

Yeah thats some great advice! So i have been doing alot of research, it seems that MOST of it will not be hard or crazy expensive. I think some of the earlier ones i might just have to get raw and grade but over all at least 70% of the run wont break the bank, just hard to find. I like the insane challenge of it. Im also adding an extra rule. the issues from 77' to end MUST be in 9.8 or nothing.The hardest part will of course be the huge keys and minor keys that hard to find in high grade like 15 and 17. but I WILL complete it somehow lol. I also have some decent bigger marvel books to help maybe trade wise.

#57 is brutally difficult. Had for 25 years what I thought was a 9.2-9.4 candidate and I've been told I'm an ultra harsh grader.  I submitted it early this year and it  came back a 6.5.

Unlike Marvel most 60's DC is NOT plentiful in higher grades and much of the higher end stuff is locked up in private collections.  To the OP if you desire a realistic chance of finishing during your lifespan, consider lowering your minimum grade requirement.

P.S. Please ignore my sig for this post :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/12/2022 at 4:48 PM, MAR1979 said:

#57 is brutally difficult. Had for 25 years what I thought was a 9.2-9.4 candidate and I've been told I'm an ultra harsh grader.  I submitted it early this year and it  came back a 6.5.

Unlike Marvel most 60's DC in NOT plentiful in higher grades and much of it is locked up in private collections.  To the OP if you desire a realistic chance of finishing during your lifespan, consider lowering your minimum grade requirement.

P.S. Please ignore my sig for this post :)

Yeah I actually tried to find leads on this one today. I did find a raw candidate in the 9.2 range i might take a shot on. Im sticking with goals no matter how silly it sounds :P. Also on the bright side. I just got a #76 Pennsylvania Dutch pedigree in 9.6-9,8 range raw! Getting it graded ASAP. Its getting easier every day haha